Dinghy Crane Pulley/Hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Anyone know where I can find something like this? I've been googling various combos of dinghy/Crane/davit/hook/pulley all evening with no success.

Thanks. IMG_1664.JPG

Easy to do with separately sourced/purchased parts: Multi-part block and tackle shackled to a suitable snap hook/shackle.

Your pic looks neat but there's only two parts to the tackle and that casting could CONK you good!

Try Googling "single sheave snatch block with hook." The trick might be finding it in stainless.

A sail rigging shop can "hook" you up.

Thanks for the input. I'm seeing some possibilities now, but none of them really look specific to hoisting a dinghy. Most are for much larger line that what I have (currently wire rope...thinking about changing to Dyneema). Also most are too long from the top of the sheave to bottom of the hook. I'm limited in length there in order to get the dinghy high enough to get over the rail. Also, none have the weight.

So I'm still looking. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for the input. I'm seeing some possibilities now, but none of them really look specific to hoisting a dinghy. Most are for much larger line that what I have (currently wire rope...thinking about changing to Dyneema). Also most are too long from the top of the sheave to bottom of the hook. I'm limited in length there in order to get the dinghy high enough to get over the rail. Also, none have the weight.

So I'm still looking. Any other ideas are appreciated.

How much load does it need to take?

Take a look at garhauer blocks with snap shackles. They are nice and compact and have decent working loads. I'm using some of their fiddle blocks for overhead lifting of a small whaler that is approximately 700 lbs.

https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=16

That is the closest I've seen to what I need. Is that shackle going to be able to lift a 500# dinghy. The working load says yes, but it doesn't look that substantial.

Dinghy and motor are about 500 lbs.

Try something like this:
Harken

Max working load of 792lbs. Should give you plenty of safety margin as far as the weight.

Or if you really want to go big and pretty,
Harken
5000lbs working load and shiny stainless.

There are other manufacturers besides Harken that will make similar. Just add the hook of your choice and you should be good to go.

Those Garhauer snap shackle blocks look like a great solution.

That is the closest I've seen to what I need. Is that shackle going to be able to lift a 500# dinghy. The working load says yes, but it doesn't look that substantial.

You can get those with a safe working load up to 3500#. That should be plenty for a 500# dinghy and motor combo. Your crane will fail before the block/shackle will fail.

You can get those with a safe working load up to 3500#. That should be plenty for a 500# dinghy and motor combo. Your crane will fail before the block/shackle will fail.

I'm think that might be the way to go. I don't see how to include the big stainless steel weight that I have above the hook now. These block/shackles are about 12 oz. Do I need more weight on the line than that?

I'm think that might be the way to go. I don't see how to include the big stainless steel weight that I have above the hook now. These block/shackles are about 12 oz. Do I need more weight on the line than that?

Good question and I don't know. The hook on my crane is really heavy, not sure if the weight is important for the winch line to feed out or not. If you switched to dyneema, I don't think it would be.

I switched to dyneema last year. Look on Amazon.
Sedeta 50'x3/16" Strong Durable Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope 4380LB Red Fastness For ATV UTV KFI Vehicle Car Motorcycle

Make your own using an anchor swivel?

I have the setup the OP is looking for but it is attached to my davit crane. And sure, one can make his own although the one shown in post 1 is HEAVY. I find that its weight is needed to pull the wire from the wench when lowering the hook. I doubt that anything light weight would be desirable.

I have the setup the OP is looking for but it is attached to my davit crane. And sure, one can make his own although the one shown in post 1 is HEAVY. I find that its weight is needed to pull the wire from the wench when lowering the hook. I doubt that anything light weight would be desirable.

Wire as in a wire cable or even the lightweight and slippery dyneema?

Anyone know where I can find something like this? I've been googling various combos of dinghy/Crane/davit/hook/pulley all evening with no success.

Thanks. View attachment 63838

Mike-- try calling Marquipt, I believe they still use this assembly for their davit cranes although the sheave may only wire rated. Still worth a call.

IMHO, you do not really need anything that heavy. Presumably, when your dinghy is deployed, your hoist assembly is extended and tied off out of the way for quick attachment and hoisting. Hoisting your dinghy in some places is a prudent security practice.
Get sailing snatch blocks from a consignment/used gear store, like this one.

A large anchor swivel is anything but light weight.

All you have to do is add a sheave to it and a clip and you have your weighted pulley/clip.

OK Dave..........no clue here what it should be called other than the "thingy stuff" on my crane is not fabric :D

You apparently have wire.

That is why you need a heavy weight clip.

Change to a synthetic line and you can use a lighter weight clip.

You don't want to go to light though. Or it can blow around in the wind and damage your boat or someone's head.

Mike-- try calling Marquipt, I believe they still use this assembly for their davit cranes although the sheave may only wire rated. Still worth a call.

Thanks. I'll try them.

Look at stuff that actual trawler/fishing guys use.
Big, galv, heavy, cheap.

You apparently have wire.

That is why you need a heavy weight clip.

Change to a synthetic line and you can use a lighter weight clip.

You don't want to go to light though. Or it can blow around in the wind and damage your boat or someone's head.

Capt.Bill-- I wish it was that simple. There is a limited space inside my crane for the winch so a larger drum needed for a line is prohibited. Another problem with line is the larger diameter will require a greater number of wraps on the drum.

The greater the diameter of the pulling drum resulting from wrap buildup changes the pull length/drum turn placing a greater load on the pulling motor. Wenches are popularly rated for the first wrap on the drum and the rating quickly diminishes on each succeeding wrap.

Last edited:
Capt.Bill-- I wish it was that simple. There is a limited space inside my crane for the winch so a larger drum needed for a line is prohibited. Another problem with line is the larger diameter will require a greater number of wraps on the drum.

The greater the diameter of the pulling drum resulting from wrap buildup changes the pull length/drum turn placing a greater load on the pulling motor. Wenches are popularly rated for the first wrap on the drum and the rating quickly diminishes on each succeeding wrap.

You shouldn't have to go to larger diameter line. Dyneema vs SS aircraft cable, the Dyneema, I believe is equal to or stronger for the same diameter ss aircraft cable and no meat hooks.

Your right about the wraps vs drum load but I think the winch/hoist/davit manufacturers take that into account when all the pieces are put together.

We have a Warn 1200 hoist for our davit with 41 ft on the drum at it's maximum load. Their specs say with 3/16" cable and that length, it has 1000 lb line load. Our davit is rated for 800 lb. Our dinghy, outboard, gas and stuff weigh in at less than 250lb.

I don't know what hoist/winch you have but here's a winch line conversion link if your thinking about going to Amsteel Blue.

Winch Line Conversion Guide

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom