Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dhays

There are lots that will fill the bill but mine is a Suunto. I've had a Casio that was nice also but was complicated to operate for someone with only three brain cells.

Watches are as much a fashion item as a timepiece, sometimes worn as an acceptable form of jewellery by guys who would not otherwise wear jewellery. They may be near umbilically attached to their smartphone, but still wear a nice watch.

BruceK

And some it is a symbol of being in a certain club like the Rolex gold Presidential with diamon bezel and numerals in the 70s said drug dealer. I know a lot of special forces guys who wear Rokex submariners (mostly frogmen).

Thanks to TF and this thread I dug out an old junker I was through with years ago and checked on line to see what it might be worth.
Sold it a few weeks later for eight Canadian boat bucks. Needless to say I paid a small fraction of that for it.
Thank you TF!

Thanks to TF and this thread I dug out an old junker I was through with years ago and checked on line to see what it might be worth.
Sold it a few weeks later for eight Canadian boat bucks. Needless to say I paid a small fraction of that for it.
Thank you TF!

:dance:

I wear the same watch day after day. It is special, as on our 25th anniversary, I bought my wife a bigger diamond for her wedding rings, she bought me a nice watch. 20 more years and counting. She still doesn't need any more diamonds, I don't need a nicer watch.

Thank you TF!

It's amazing what a "drawer find" watch, of the right brand, and the right model can be worth. Often Thousands of dollars, for something you bought for a couple hundred in the 60's or 70's and forgot about.

Like some others, I wear a relatively modern 'daily' watch, in my case, a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Black Eagle. It is utterly reliable and accurate. But, there are times I still like to wear my vintage Omega Flighmaster cal 911. It is not automatic, not water proof, but is a magnificent timepiece in my opinion. To this very day, people stop and ask about it. They are now a collectors 'cult' watch among pilots and enthusiasts. I bought it while I was in the Navy in 1971 and flew with it for 35 years, a good luck charm of sorts.

Attachments

• skyhawk black.jpg
    skyhawk black.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 179
  • flightmaster.jpg
    flightmaster.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 90
Larry

The photo of the bottom watch looks way more complicated for my few brain cells. Geez

I wear the same watch day after day. It is special, as on our 25th anniversary, I bought my wife a bigger diamond for her wedding rings, she bought me a nice watch. 20 more years and counting. She still doesn't need any more diamonds, I don't need a nicer watch.

Sounds like neither one of you need a new spouse either. :thumb:

I just say that I love the Citizen eco-drive watches. I have two, both appropriate for my professional work environment. However, I like to wear the other watches when not at work when I don't need the watch to slide up under the cuff of a dress shirt.

Larry, the Skyhawk is interesting. A friend bought a s/steel cased Citizen Eco Drive Nighthawk on a cruise ship, it "looked cool" and was price reduced. Not able to work out what it does other than look good, nothing online or in the manual, my guess was fuel load or consumption calculations using the rotating bezel which shows liters and gallons. Any idea of its intended use ?

Larry

The photo of the bottom watch looks way more complicated for my few brain cells. Geez

Bigfish

It's getting that way for me too, eyes are getting pretty old now. Although it's my newest watch, it is at least 10+ years old. My next watch will be rugged, easy to read and simple.:D

Wifey B: Well, not much changed since ten months ago. Hubby and I both still have our one special date night watch and lots and lots and lots of fashion watches to match our outfits. Probably another 20 or so since then. Well, we do sort of secretly shop buy them from stores we own so not too bad. :)

I'd get the cheapest watch that meets your needs so when it goes overboard, you won't be upset.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My wife and I rarely wear jewelry (including watches) when boating: no rings, watches, or necklaces. I used to wear my 24 year old Swiss Army watch but watches are rather uncomfortable in the Florida heat.

I bought this self wind Seiko dive watch in 1980. It runs slow, but I might send it in for a service and use it for the summer and leave my Tag at home.

IMG_1889.jpg

Jim

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My wife and I rarely wear jewelry (including watches) when boating: no rings, watches, or necklaces. I used to wear my 24 year old Swiss Army watch but watches are rather uncomfortable in the Florida heat.

We don't wear it much on the boat. We'll pick up watches when going to shore. We'll wear jewelry when dressing up and going out to a very nice restaurant.

I wore a X-Shock for many years as a LEO. Would take a beating and never miss a beat. Swam, fought, wrestled and everything else wearing that thing. Difficult to find a band for and eventually the backlight gave up the ghost. Didn't wear a watch for a while (used the phone instead), and just before heading out to a training assignment stopped by Wally World and picked up a Timex Expedition and a Casio something or another. Both combined were about half of the cost of the new G-Shock I wanted, had 99% of anything I would use, and was available now which was important.

The Expedition just lost the rubber seal around the bezel not too long ago, but the little Casio is still running strong.

My next watch will likely be another G-shock. I like the styling and the features.
It's hard for me to find a watch that will do what I want without a lot of fluff, and is still rugged enough to take the beatings I give them at times. Seems the cheaper one work just as well for me and no heartburn if I mess it up.

Thanks for a lot of the ideas here.
Some nice alternatives.

I have a fairly accurate internal clock, I've never used a wrist watch and does not need to be decorated or to display a status symbol clock. I've never slipped reason that I do not use the watch in hand, does not fit all ...

All

The one recurring theme is that no one has mentioned accuracy which is to my mind the reason to have a watch and that being the case balance wheel watches are out which eliminates fine very expensive watches. Strange how the world turns. Generations ago a correct timepiece was imperative to a captain and his boat.

I haven't worn a watch since they gave me a pager at work. That's right, a "pager". Remember those? I have the time on my phone and on my GPS screen.

Many years ago I had a very expensive gold watch with a vibrating tuning fork to keep the time. It cost a lot of money to have it cleaned every year. I bought a $3 plastic digital watch for work. It was more accurate than the expensive watch.

On a boat, your watch will get wet and it will get scratched. It might get smashed as well. Keep this in mind when selecting a watch to wear when boating.

WesK

May I suggest a sundial! ��

Casio equals accuracy, G SHOCK equals tough.
Omega equals feeling good in your brain when on the briney.

All

The one recurring theme is that no one has mentioned accuracy which is to my mind the reason to have a watch and that being the case balance wheel watches are out which eliminates fine very expensive watches. Strange how the world turns. Generations ago a correct timepiece was imperative to a captain and his boat.

Strangely enough, accuracy is less important to me now than it was before the cell phone era. My watches need to be reasonably accurate, but if they gain or lose even a few seconds a day it isn't a big deal because I always have a cell phone to check and reset as necessary. However, most of my watches will gain or lose a few seconds a MONTH. Certainly more accuracy than I need.

Interesting conflict: as our country grows older time becomes more import but tad the individual grows older time becomes less important.

WesK

May I suggest a sundial! ��

Once I've been cruising for a few days, I don't even know what day of the week it is. Time of day only matters for bridge openings. That's where the GPS screen comes in handy.

Time can be important in some jobs or professions but not in mine (retired). I just need to show up ahead of doctor's appointments.

Once I've been cruising for a few days, I don't even know what day of the week it is. Time of day only matters for bridge openings. That's where the GPS screen comes in handy.

Time can be important in some jobs or professions but not in mine (retired). I just need to show up ahead of doctor's appointments.

My watch doesn't tell me the day of the week, but it does tell me the date, unless I forget to wind it past the missing 31st in some months. This March, I hadn't looked at the date for a while and was getting ready for St Patrick's when I realized the date hadn't caught up and I had to wind past the 3 missed days.

Purchased a GMT Master, in my youth for less than 1k. Was a coming of age gift to myself. Never regretted it.

I did the same....28 years ago. Love the "mechanicalness" of the Rolex, but typically wear a Recent Casio G shock or another from my small collection day to day. The $1000 rolex is now worth 4 times that.....it's a rare "Fat Lady" model from the 80's...

IMG_2446-vi.jpg

My personal favorite! Rolex.jpg How about the 12,800ft waterproof Sea Dweller. The beast of dive watches.

The watch may survive...but I wonder what my corpse will look like under those pressures?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom