Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He . . . paid about $1500.00 for the watch when he purchased it . . . 40 years ago). The Road Show appraiser valued it at 30K either at an auction or in a store being purchased by a collector. My figures are going off of memory, but I for sure was impressed how much the watched gained value.

That works out to a little less than an 8% annual compounded return. But I guess he also got some pleasure out of owning it during that time too.

I've owned three watches, two Seiko's and one Rolex GMT Master. The Seiko's work for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 121
Because of this discussion I dug out my big chunky orange retro Seiko divers watch and wore it today. That's the model I had on my wrist when I was underwater on March 30, 1981 at the Burlington Power Station in New Jersey fixing a cooling water intake screen. The foreman radioed down to tell me President Reagan had been shot, that's the only reason I remember that particular day and the watch on my wrist at that moment. It's actually running pretty well today, hasn't stopped and the time is accurate since I shook it and reset it this morning. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

As I recall it also glowed very brightly in the dark, which was handy during those late night make-out sessions parked in my midnight-blue Chevy Nova SS on a certain back road in Essex, CT after a day of sailing my Blue Jay on the Connecticut River dodging the Chester Ferry when the wind died. Ahh, youth. (I believe that parking spot in the woods is now a strip mall.)

Attachments

• seiko.jpg
    seiko.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 129
I wear an Omega Seamaster, I tried it on at a pawn shop and it felt so comfortable on my wrist I bought it. I then took it to a watch maker and got it cleaned and serviced.

I've owned three watches, two Seiko's and one Rolex GMT Master. The Seiko's work for me.

Lol! I've had mine since 1980. It's a self wind.
Image1482871287.083966.jpg
I now have a Tag, but the links keep breaking and I don't want to lose it in the drink. I think I'm going to use the old Seiko this summer.

I am reviving this old thread.

This thread got me thinking about watches back then and I started to get a bit of a bug in my head. Part of this was spurred by the old yachting watch of my Dad's finally dying last summer after its waterproof seal failed and it rusted up.

I gradually have acquired via ebay a handful of boating watches, some of them mentioned in this thread. I have spent some time with them and thought I would offer my opinions so far.

If you don't like watches, don't bother reading.

One of you folks mentioned the Tissot. I found a Tissot T-touch Sailing Watch on ebay. This watch has a countdown timer useful for timing the beginning of a race (which I don't do anymore). It has a stopwatch, alarms, and will even tell the time and date. It also has a display which gives whether the barometric pressure is rising or falling. It has a tide clock and a compass.

The watch is easy to read with hands with a white and red pip against a black face. It has an LCD screen at the bottom to give the date as well as additional information on the other functions. It is a big watch, about 45 mm in diameter but a whopping 14 mm thick. The watch I got has a black rubber band with brushed SS links that slide over it. The metal clasp is solid. The band has to be cut to fit, so you can make it smaller, but you can't make it larger. Once adjusted, it is comfortable, if big, watch to wear.

It has compass function which actually works well as long as you aren't around large metallic objects.

The tide clock is a bit silly up in the Northern (and I would assume Southern) latitudes. It is simply based on a bit over a 6 hour tidal cycle. You set the next high tide and then the watch can tell you whether you are on a rising and falling tide and roughly how long till the next tide change. The LCD display will give the time of the next high and low tide. However, since we don't have regular tides this far North, you really need to set it every day or it quickly gets too far wrong to be useful.

So not a bad watch but... it is stupid expensive. While it is a good time piece, it is too large for my tastes and way too expensive for me to want to abuse while on the boat. It is not a watch I would wear down to the boat to do some engine work for example.

I am reviving this old thread.

I gradually have acquired via ebay a handful of boating watches, some of them mentioned in this thread. I have spent some time with them and thought I would offer my opinions so far.

Dave-- I got caught up in an EBay 'buy now' syndrome by making huge bid offers ($5 max :D) on watches with free delivery sometime last year. I quit when my winnings reached 10. But heck, how many watches, big bucks or cheapies can one wear? I selected one to wear for which I ordered an expansion bracelet (another $5) again from EBay.

It does the one thing I like reliably well! This el cheapo displays analog time with great accuracy; it loses less than 5 seconds/month!

Last edited:
I'm currently wearing an Apple Watch. It's nice having the entire enterweb on my wrist, including our local tides and weather. However, I feel a bit guilty when my Omega glares at me from my dresser top!

This is another watch I got on ebay. Nominally a sailing watch it has a compass, temperature, and tide functions. It will give the time and the date as well.

This has a black rubber adjustable strap and is also a large (45mm) watch but not as crazy thick as the Tissot. It has easy to see white hands against a black face. The compass works well, but the tide function is like the Tissot, only giving you and approximation of the 6 hour tide variation. The temperature funtion will essentially give you the temperature of your wrist, so unless you take it off, it is pretty worthless. The temperature scale is also so microscopic that it is next to impossible to read for anyone over 50 years old.

Water resistant to 100m it is a good watch to wear around the water and I find it extremely comfortable to wear. You can get them used for well under $100 USD so not so expensive as the Tissot making me comfortable actually using the watch regardless of what I'm doing.

Comfortable, easy to tell time, not too expensive, good water proofing. I like it but wouldn't recommend someone get it if that makes any sense.
IMG_0191.JPG

Last edited:
I love a nice analog watch and have a number of them. For me, they are like knives and flashlights....you can never have too many of them. For boating I think anything that's waterproof, shockproof and readable in the dark is perfect. I have a few very expensive watches that my father left me, but I tend to wear Timex and a Victorinox 99% of the time. They are both super accurate and rugged, and can withstand much more than the wrist they are mounted on.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 96
Casio AMW710-1AV OUTGEAR Marine Gear

This watch is a relatively inexpensive watch, typical of Casio. Also typical of Casio it is well made. This watch has a stopwatch, moon phase, multiple time zones, alarms, and tide clock.

Another large watch, 45mm diameter and 13mm thick. This watch isn't quite as comfortable for me as the Timex, but it had an incredibly easy to read analog face. The LCD portion of the screen is pretty small, but that isn't viewed unless you are trying to set one of the watches functions so you are paying closely to it as well. It is also water resistant to 100M.

Casio has come up with an intelligent tide function. You set your location and it will adjust the tide times based on your location. Unlike the typical "tide clock" such as Tissot and Timex use, this gives a much more accurate tide reading. The state of the tide (rising or falling and how far in the cycle it is) is displayed in a round display with as one of 6 tiny little arrows.

The downside is that this tiny little arrow is hard to see. You have to stop and look very closely to be able to see it. I prefer a watch that I can glance at quickly to get the information I want.

Bottom line, this seems like a good watch that you can wear around the water and it has all the functions you could ever want. Because you can buy this thing for $50 and it does so much, this is a watch I would recommend.
IMG_0190.JPG

Casio G-SHOCK GLX-150 G-LIDE Action Sports/Surf Watch, Tide and Moon.

Another ebay watch I bought used. This one had a bright orange band which I replaced with a fake Casio black band. This watch is not attractive. It is big and relatively ugly. However, this watch is almost indestructible and it was cheap. This is the watch I wear when I am working on the boat. It is already used and it pretty darn hard to hurt.

It has many of the same functions as the other Casio. This watch however is not an analog watch, which I miss. OTOH, the tide function on this watch is great. It is an accurate as the other Casio but the bar graph display is simple and easy to read. On both of these Casios I set the tide once and have found it to be accurate even a couple months later.

Oddly enough considering how large the watch is, it is a very comfortable watch to wear. This is a watch that I would recommend whole-heartedly as it is very cheap but does what it does really well.
IMG_0192.JPG

I'm currently wearing an Apple Watch. It's nice having the entire enterweb on my wrist, including our local tides and weather. However, I feel a bit guilty when my Omega glares at me from my dresser top!

I keep looking at the Nixon "Mission" Android watch. It supposedly is waterproof. I have yet to be able to find one cheap enough that I want to buy it, but I am interested.

My inexpensive solar charged Casio with tide chart was bought 'on special" for about $70. The tide chart is not entirely accurate, but near enough. My Breitling wearing friend near puked when he looked at it. I have others, Omega included, I`m a fan of Citizen solar charge titanium cased watches.

Tissot are indeed really impressive watches, the touch ones are really very nice. One thing to notice is the issue when need to change the battery. If you go to some general watch seller some of them will not want to change the battery because of the price of the watch they do not want to take the risk to break the touch glass of the watch.

L.

I love my Luminox watches. Good quality and I really like how bright the dial is at night and that fact that you don't have to put the dial into light first.

Each Luminox watch employs tiny self-powered micro gas light tubes (tritium, I believe). These micro gas lights (borosilicate glass capsules) are installed in the hands, hour markers of the dial, and where applicable, into the bezels of the watch.

I am on my second Luminox watch, purchased the first one (dive watch) 10 - 12 years ago. I have purchased the watches on the internet from watch shops (grey market?) for $300 - $350, although there are more expensive models.

Jim

I gave up wearing watches a couple of years ago.. Getting ready to turn the big 70, and don't really want to wear one.. Purchased a GMT Master, in my youth for less than 1k. Was a coming of age gift to myself. Never regretted it. Now it sits, scratched and with a worn band. Also a Timex Expedition, that is new, but it sits also..Wife just shakes her head when I ask, What time is it?

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I benched my Rolex Oyster Perpetual watch when I got my Pebble Steel watch, which can do weather and tides (when hooked to my iphone).

I also found that my Fitbit Charge HR was not waterproof after an accidental dunking... Pebble is waterproof, but Fitbit died abruptly.

I'm a fan of Omega watches.

Won't wear an electric or electronic watch.

This is the one I have on today. Omega Planet Ocean dive watch. Even though it is rated to 2000 feet, I'm pretty sure it's never been deeper than 6 or so feet below the surface. :blush:

It's arguably one of the best mechanical dive watches ever made... which is saying something given that there are some really great mechanical dive watches out there.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Like Kevin I mostly wear a PO, but on the weekends I sometimes wear an X-33. All titanium, thermo-compensated, "Flight Qualified by NASA for Space Missions" - works for me. :)
IMG_5937.JPG

View attachment 51948 Rolex Submariner, Stainless Steel. Come on guys! You deserve to wear a fine time piece that can be handed down to future generations. Totally waterproof, rust proof and bullet proof! Besides, this is one of the few luxury items that will hold its value over time unlike our boats!

I sold my Submariner when it wasn't keeping accurate time anymore despite being serviced multiple times. Sold it for double what I paid (used).

Nowadays I use a Doxa automatic (self winding) stainless watch and it DOES NOT keep accurate time either. Those Swiss are so proud of their 100 year old movements and yet a $5 Walmart digital watch is more accurate and doesn't stop running if you don't wear it for 2 days.

Oh well it is pretty to look at and makes me feel good.

Attachments

• Doxa.jpg
    Doxa.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 203
I have a couple of watches that I only wear now and then, my daughter bought a Traser Officer Pro when she did her officer training in the navy, apparently one of the only milspec watches about, whatever that means. I got one for watchkeeping. I like the night illumination and the easy to read face.
My second watch is a 1st gen 1958 Omega Speedmaster which still runs perfectly. More of a collectable than a daily.

Attachments

• da512a52422eca454f5a4dcd1573283a.jpg
    da512a52422eca454f5a4dcd1573283a.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 11226c1010157-omega-speedmaster-broad-arrow-reference-omega-2915.jpg
    11226c1010157-omega-speedmaster-broad-arrow-reference-omega-2915.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 202
I have been wearing Timex expedition for about ten years now I sure do like it. The backlit dial is great for viewing in the dark. The original band was fabric and leather I swapped it out for a rubber Casio type band I only take it off to set it or for medical requirements. I have changed batteries a couple of times but that's easy.

I've got five watches and wear one every day, including a black Luminox Navy seal watch as others have mentioned, though I'm also scuba certified. A couple of my other favorites are a Corum and a Skagan. I do have an iPhone but certainly don't want to pull it out or go find it to check time. It's just IMHO; but i think there is too much presumption that a smart phone is always available or always has a network, not necessarily the case in long range cruising.
I'd definitely recommend waterproof (not water "resistant") and I like quality watches. I don't like smart watches since they have to be charged all the time.
But these opinions are cuz i'm a "watch guy", just like some guys are "car guys". so for me if you had to wear a $5 or $10 watch, you'd be better off not wearing one at all- again IMHO.

Ever since I owned a mobile phone I cant see a reason to wear a watch they to me are just something that gets in the way.

71VEYuQ8yrL._SL1500_.jpg

All

Im of the group that thinks a wristwatch is used by an age group that grew up with them. I've worn one for about 60 years (no, not the same one) it has day, date, barometric pressure, a countdown time for running out an eta, a compass, etc, etc. it is waterproof to 300 meters. I would be lost without it although I really don't care what time time it is but do care what day it might be after cruising the Bahamas for a few weeks. To each his own. Some people like to own nice equipment others not so much. :)

All

Im of the group that thinks a wristwatch is used by an age group that grew up with them. I've worn one for about 60 years (no, not the same one) it has day, date, barometric pressure, a countdown time for running out an eta, a compass, etc, etc. it is waterproof to 300 meters. I would be lost without it although I really don't care what time time it is but do care what day it might be after cruising the Bahamas for a few weeks. To each his own. Some people like to own nice equipment others not so much. :)

What watch is it Bigfish?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom