Is There Such A Thing As A Good Remote Controlled Spotlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Remote controlled spotlights seem to be a troublesome piece of equipment. Anyone really happy with theirs?

I have an ACR, with a remote in the PH and FB. No issues whatsoever. But then ACR specialize in safety/recovery - so I would expect nothing less.

Remote controlled spotlights seem to be a troublesome piece of equipment. Anyone really happy with theirs?

Carlisle & Finch Co. | Top Quality Searchlights Company for Marine, Prison, Border and Security

Very expensive but Very good. We shared your feelings and replaced several spotlights rather than continuing to deal with them. We've never had an issue with Carlisle Finch.

I've also seen some Golight's, including LED versions that the boat owner swore were the best ever. Site is interesting. Only a few of theirs are remote controllable.

golight.com

A remote controlled spotlight is pretty hard to use. A handheld spotlight is easier to use and less expensive as well.

I have an ACR, with a remote in the PH and FB. No issues whatsoever. But then ACR specialize in safety/recovery - so I would expect nothing less.

I forgot about ACR as I've not seen many on recreational boats, but good quality from all I've heard.

Best to have both boat-installed-remote as well as a handheld.

ACR spots are nice...at the upper end for cost for recreational sized lights.

Usually it is the install that makes them troublesome.

Either the lights get doused in to much spray or the control switches are not protected enough.

Even though the older ACR switch/control panels were potted, the interior circuit boars were susceptible to cracking when the were mounted on uneven fiberglass surfaces and tightened down.

I bet I replaced 30 for that issue alone in 2000-2005 when working for an electronics place or marinas. Probably a couple more dozen lights for water ingress.

Last edited:
I would take a video of mine in action from the upper station, but I am in a busy anchorage (Big Majors) and I am concerned that I would scare the beejeebers out of my neighbors! :)

Haven't yet sailed at night in my trawler to test the spotlight's effectiveness. Nevertheless, seems a steady light not requiring a handhold would be advantageous in many situations.

Both mounted and handheld have their uses, sometimes both at once.

I've tried a few different remote spotlights and, while they work well, the problem I have with them is that they are distracting. When you use them you first have to take your eyes off the helm to find the control, then use the control to aim the height and azimuth of the light to get it where you want.

I much prefer a handheld light. I pick it up, shine it where I want and it's just about as easy as can be. If I'm going to be out at night and the window curtains are on I unzip one of the front panels (leaving it in place) as darkness comes on. Then if I need to use the spotlight I can stick it through the open zipper.

For about $30 you can pick on up anywhere, they're usually 1 million candlepower and they're rechargeable.

I much prefer a handheld light. I pick it up, shine it where I want and it's just about as easy as can be.
:iagree: I have one of those million candle power flashlights that I mounted next to the helm. It resides in its charger and is "at the ready."

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 108
In a year, I have used my remote spotlight just once.

The boat came with a Peak handheld cordless spotlight. Just yesterday I too it apart and took out the battery. It hasn't worked since we owned the boat. I just ordered a new battery for it.

A powerful one, there are hundreds. Whole forums devoted to the topic.

GIYF.

but they don't generally look like the one in his picture. To generate that kind of light they need a substantial battery. Flashlights are usually rated in Lumens not candlepower.

As an example. The 3D cell LED Maglite puts out 168 Lumens and only 43,000 Candela ( Candela = Candlepower)

Here's a $380.00 light from Fenix that puts out 6000 Lumen and 133,000 Cd
FL-FX-RC40-6.jpg

And here's a $1,370.00 light from Surefire that puts on 2400 Lumens and 216,000 Cd

Surefire_Dominator002.jpg

So.... I know there are some very bright lights out there....but I'd be very
very
shocked to see a small handheld light that put out a million candelpower.

Last edited:
So.... I know there are some very bright lights out there....but I'd be very
very
shocked to see a small handheld light that put out a million candelpower.[/QUOTE]

Dorsey's 41-1097 is a good one million CP spot light. Also I have two older portable million CP units. One rechargeable and the other with a 12V cord.

Last edited:
I too am skeptical of most candle power claims.

On the old Neptunes the wing tip spot light was 1 million candlepower that used a carbon arc to create the light.

Only 1/2 a million CP made it thru the plexiglass cover.

Perhaps CP is a variable term like Hi Fi , or seaworthy.

a small handheld light that put out a million candelpower.
Yes, laws of physics do still hold, I wasn't being literal.

Candlepower measures only the brightest spot in a focused beam, handhelds would need to be like lasers to literally get to a million.

Still point is there are plenty of hand held lights that are as or more useful than remote mounted spots for most of us.

what kind of flashlight produces a million candlepower ????

How about one that produces about 12 million candlepower? (but expensive)
Flashlights

There's tons of flashlights over a million candlepower, heck, my 300 lumen bike light is more than that.

I like to shop for lights looking at the lumen, not candlepower, which is a better measurement.

I could argue a small handheld flashlight or spot light for marine use. Much easier to handle than a remote spot light.

I have this one (new to me) and is excellent for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GXFBH0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The advantage of a small but powerful flashlight is that you can carry it on person.

With all the new LED technology out there, there are TONS of good options.

Sunchaser...

I know spotlights often quoted as being a million candelpower or more....it was the handheld flashlight I was questioning.

FF:

Light output claims can be kind of dubious....if they are quoted as conforming to the ANSI-FL-1 Standard and displayed in the format below they are usually fairly reliable:

Attachments

• FL1.jpg
    FL1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 74
SeeVee

I don't think Surefire has anything close to 1 million Cd let alone 12 million Cd

I think their brightest is the Dominator pictured above which has been tested to be a little over 200,000 Cd.

My current Favorite pocket flashlight is this one:

EagTac EagleTac TX25C2 | illuminationGear | illumination Gear

I've had it a couple of years and love it. To make it float, you cut a 6" section of pool noodle and push the tail of the light into the hole in the noodle. That's a good way to not lose an expensive light in the drink. The pool noodle trick works better with a back clicky switch, but still works well on a side switch.

All my lights, car, pocket, headlight, etc., are all 18650 battery powered so I keep a few spare batteries charged for an easy switch. Plus my charger runs off AC or 12vdc and charges two batteries at once.

I have gotten rid of any flashlight that is not regulated since an unregulated light is an inefficient one, bright at the start, darker as the battery is consumed. A regulated light is constant until there is no power left to drive the LED.

If you want a flashlight that will be there in time of need for your ditch bag, carry a few CR123 batteries since they have a zero self-discharge rate design with high power output at a wide temperature range. That way they will be there

I hear the new Tesla 2170 batteries are slightly larger and have 40% more capacity and the flashlight market is adding support for them now. I'm waiting to see how those do...

I forgot about ACR as I've not seen many on recreational boats, but good quality from all I've heard.

The thing about ACR's is that the bulbs have a proprietary base -- otherwise nothing special about the bulb, but when you need a new one, you must buy an ACR, and ACR charges accordingly. The next time one of mine fails, I am installing an LED spotlight panel (for less than the price of a bulb) that will fit the ACR housing.

I'm not easily impressed by most lights but on a recent trip the Carlisle and finch impressed me enough to order one. Handheld hids are good for 90 percent of the time. C&F are bulletproof literally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom