Optima Gel battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
When looking at a starting requirement. I see a blue top and a red top group 34 in the optima batteries.
Can not really see why i would want one over the other.
What is the difference besides cost?

Ed

There is very little difference between the two, probably packaging. Definitely get the ones with studs. They are AGMs, not gels BTW.

David

what is the difference between gel and AGM?

I went with the red topped batteries for both starting and bow thruster. My reasoning was that they were both limited high surge applications. Very happy so far with my choice.

Ted

BTW Summit Racing has great prices on Optima batteries with no shipping or core chsrges.

Ted

Any thoughts as to a carbon foam battery. Can deplete to ZERO (via reports) and no damage.

Here is a little more information about the carbon foam batteries.
From a Trawler Forum member.

That is a "category of one", Firefly is it, not to be confused with Outback "nano carbon".

And 20% DoD is the lowest I'd go myself, sizing for usually 30-40% will give you more cycled.

The sulfation recovery process every once in a while takes a bit of skill/knowledge, equipment and attention, but it's not rocket science.

Next best thing to LiFePO4 for PSOC situation, not nearly as expensive.

But jury is still out on longterm/widespread feedback to confirm Nigel Calder & Maine Sail's testing results.

Which it looks like I lost the link for, was in Practical Sailor magazine.

Note Bruce from that video, the inventor of the Firefly, Nigel and MS all live near each other there in Maine, you may hear some (not me) say that as if a reason to be skeptical.

Last edited:
I would think PSOC would not be a problem for most trawlers?

Unless "boondocking" on the hook I suppose.

I'm over at Fisheries right now and walked into this scene IMG_0371.JPGIMG_0372.JPGIMG_0375.JPGIMG_0376.JPG

Back
Top Bottom