Hang oars under upper deck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Silly question...

As a kid, most dinghies were oar powered. I seem to recall seeing lots of oars suspended from the ceilings or eaves of boat sheds, under the eaves of beach houses, and under the upper decks of boats.

Currently, I have my oars strapped into the dinghy while it is on the SeaWise davits.
IMG_20170310_172957112.jpg

I was wondering if it would work well to hang the oars from underneath the overhang over the cockpit?

Not sure if this photo gives enough information.

2017-03-10 17.30.19.jpg

I have looked around and not found what I was looking for. Maybe something along the lines of overhead rod holders?

Get some 090 x 1" wide aluminum strips and form to desired shape. Fasten to ceiling.

Make your own hangers out of something the will look good.

Like teak, teak and leather or perhaps Starboard if you want them to blend in with your overhead if it's white.

Hang oars under upper deck

We used starboard for ours under our NT42 deck.

Attachments

• IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 91
Search for Wilcox Crittenden Security Oar Holder or Edson Oar-Loc and keep them on the thwart of the dinghy.

We used starboard for ours under our NT42 deck.

Conrad! Thanks for the photo. That is what I was thinking of and it is nice to have a photo to show my wife. She is absolutely convinced that I not only have terrible ideas, but all of my ideas will look bad. Usually the first thing she asks when I come up with an idea is "what do normal people usually do?"

Search for Wilcox Crittenden Security Oar Holder or Edson Oar-Loc and keep them on the thwart of the dinghy.

Thanks. It took me a while to visualize how they work. They would work well for keeping the oars in the dinghy.

That to me look the best place anyone could store there oars :confused:

It works fine, although it takes several lines to keep them secured in that position. The problem is that if the dinghy is going to be used for sailing or the motor, the oars then need to be removed and stored on the mother ship anyway, unless I want to take them with me in the dinghy. They are also exposed to the weather in that location. If they were tucked under the overhead, they are out of the way and out of the weather. That would delay me having to refinish them as soon.

We have an aft awning on our NT 32. I used heavy duty velcro to strap the oars to one of the stainless frame crossmembers -- I don't think my wife has even noticed that they are there...

I've been thinking about the same thing . I used to have starboard rod holders on the ceiling of the aft deck . I took them out when we added some new beams to the ceiling. Not sure where I want to store them now . I like your set up Conrad .

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
In the dink is fine but purchase an Edson oar lock system so the oars will still be there when used to get to shore.

A key not combination lock is best as no light is required to unlock.

In the dink is fine but purchase an Edson oar lock system so the oars will still be there when used to get to shore.

A key not combination lock is best as no light is required to unlock.

Of course, then I have to be able to remember where the key is.

"Of course, then I have to be able to remember where the key is."

If you do much bar hoping on a chain around your neck seems suitable.

I keep my oars in the dinghy. My dingbat though is a Livingston which had relatively straight sides on it. The oars are secured by two heavy bungees to the upper side so they are mostly protected from the weather.
Your much prettier and better rower I can see being a bit more problematic for on the dinghy storage but I would still try to find a way to keep the in the dinghy.

That way they are in the dinghy available for use whether I forget them or not which I did on occasion when we used to keep them aboard the bigger boat.

I use a velcro strap to hold an oar to each pontoon rail.

Attachments

• 20170216_154011.jpg
    20170216_154011.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom