• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 52' classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bestfish

I'm probbing the idea that it's time to consider selling our family airlume-. About the boat- originally built in the 1920's by Major Casey of fairhaven, MA documented length 52'. She was professionally glassed over 6 years ago. She is powered by a freshly rebuilt Detroit 8v71. She holds 500 gal of fuel in 2 tanks, approximately 100 gal fresh water and 60 gal waste water tank. A schooner hull design, she spent the last 80 years as a commercial fish dragger out of Provincetown MA. 3 years ago my late father converted her fish hold into an expanded focsul, his dream was to spend 'retirement' on board up and down the East coast, and last year he achieved his goal. She's presently in the water and mostly retired. I would say she's 75% coastal cruiser and 25% fishing boat. Currently one of, if not the last working eastern rig dragger in America.
All fishing related gear would be removed with the exception of the hydraulic capstan and outriggers (stabilizers).
If your still interested, Google search F/V Richard and Arnold and you'll find tons of pics, articles and history.
I don't have a firm price, and I won't sell her to just anyone. (I'm not even sure the family is emotionally ready to part with her, but reality says it's time to start getting ready). Call or message me for further details. 508-280-2642. Bob

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,169
Removing the commercial fishing gear and I assume the commercial fishing license, will likely make it much tougher to sell.

Ted

That's the thing, she'd do much better as cruiser, hence why m not trying to sell her as a fishing boat The permits aren't for sale.

It was my good fortune to get to know Captain Dave when he and his lovely wife dropped anchor in my town. The book she wrote about their life and adventures as a fishing family are among my treasured artifacts. It was our pleasure to share a few brief months of time talking boats. Very sad that he is gone too soon. I know how hard it must be to sell a boat that is so connected to the family, but if that is your decision, I wish you the best in the sale.

img_544553_0_e44b81eea080a634a861feebdebfe0a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Why was the hull glassed over? On such an old boat that's usually considered an undesirable feature.

Is that a mermaid painted on the wheelhouse?

Sorry, mermaid stays with us. It's painted on a piece of plywood. Been her signature for as long as I can remember.
Ok, that`s it, end of discussion.:)
Seriously,I hope you find the right new home for your lovely vessel. It resembles older style timber fishing vessels seen around our southernmost island state, Tasmania.

Why was the hull glassed over? On such an old boat that's usually considered an undesirable feature.

My Rose was fiberglassed over in the 70's. She is double planked cypress and when done correctly will last for several lifetimes. The process down here is called C-flex and was invented by a local man Bill Seemann here in Gulfport Ms. I've seen some less than desirable glass over wood jobs that would be a deal killer in any bodies book but if done by a professional would add tremendous value and peace of mind to the purchase.

The crucial thing is the age and condition of the hull when its glassed over. Its usually one of those last resort steps when the planking has gotten so soft and rotten that its cost prohibitive to re plank.

Let's move our discussions of glass over wood to another thread to preserve the intent of this Classified Ad.

Did the op's boat receive this C Flex repair or just the old style FG job? The C Flex process looks like a good one.

FW, we were typing at the same time I think. No harm or intent meant to the OP, just curious.

Last edited:
I can tell you the process when it was done, the foreman and my father ( he worked as helper) ground the entire hull down to bare wood, then let it dry for almost 2 months inside a shrink wrap building. When a moisture meter determined she was as dry as she was going to get, they hull and deck putty the entire hull with a 1/8 trowel. Then they did 2 layers of 3oz mat un alternatingly directions. She was then hand nailed every 12" on center with stainless ring shank nails. Another layer (or 2? I don't recall) of mat then gel coat. The keel up 12" on each side and areas where the fishing gear touches the hull were give 2 additional layers.

I can tell you the process when it was done, the foreman and my father ( he worked as helper) ground the entire hull down to bare wood, then let it dry for almost 2 months inside a shrink wrap building. When a moisture meter determined she was as dry as she was going to get, they hull and deck putty the entire hull with a 1/8 trowel. Then they did 2 layers of 3oz mat un alternatingly directions. She was then hand nailed every 12" on center with stainless ring shank nails. Another layer (or 2? I don't recall) of mat then gel coat. The keel up 12" on each side and areas where the fishing gear touches the hull were give 2 additional layers.

sounds close to this method

Covering Wooden Boats With Fiberglass
by Allan H. Vaitses (Author)

says he has never had a failure

Ted

Properly done, C Flex or other similar method can give a wood boat a life expectancy similar to cored boats. It's important to keep the wood dry or you'll have massive rot. Epoxy or polyester resin also makes a difference.
You need to decide if you really want to sell. Being too particular will limit your market and cost you money.

Whats your asking price? That will help any folks that are looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom