PNW Weather Window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pairadice
Vessel Make
Sold Selene 47
OK TFer's

Pairadice and ASD are looking for a weather window to head north soon.

We will cross the Bar of the Columbia and head North to the San Juan De Fuca then inside to the San Juans. Pairadice has plans for the Selene Gathering at Roche Harbor, starting on April 26th and ending the 30th. And as much as we would like to attend this event, if an exceptable window is not available, we will sit tight.
"Pairadice" has a cruising speed of 7-8 knots with a max of 10 Knots.
"ASD" has a much higher cruising speed of 14-15 knots and Max at 23 Knots.

Looking at all available weather sites, we dont see any 2 day windows in the near future.
So we thought we would see if anyone else might have a suggestion for a possible window.
So put on your "Weather Guru Hats" and give us a hand.
Much appreciate your help!

Good luck! This doesn't help but I heard (Cliff Maas?) that the rest of April is going to see a succession of low pressure systems sweeping up and into the PNW, with settled weather/high pressure starting in May.

That's not to say you won't get lucky and find a couple days to make the run...

John, I don't envy you having to cross the Columbia River bar, and then make your way up to Juan de Fuca, probably most of the trip with a swell rolling you around on the beam. You certainly have a tougher trip north than we do out of Bellingham. Be sure to post your progress as you move up. We'll be looking for you in SE Alaska this summer.

PNW,
Don't like the weather?
Wait a a day or even an hour in the spring.

Well I looked at every site I have and they all more or less match NOAA/NWS. West swells on the port beam all the way from the bar to the entrance of Juan De Fuca. Not fun, doable for a fast boat, but still not fun. In some cases the conditions look just OK Saturday and Sunday, then turns to crap again on Monday......

Small craft advisory thru Thursdayafternoon.

THU NIGHT SWWIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 13 SECONDS.SHOWERS.

FRIAND FRI NIGHT SW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 10 SECONDS.

SAT WWIND 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 FT AT 9 SECONDS.

SATNIGHT NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 15 SECONDS.

SUN VARIABLE WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT.

MON SEWIND 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

Good Luck. You know how to find me if you need something on the way by...

Tom - is this a one-day run for you (if you go solo) from the bar to Neah Bay, or is that pushing too hard?

Jeff

Last edited:
For me it about 12 to 15 hours. For Crusty its at least 30 hours. I don't actually plan to leave until the 1st of May. The weather patterns are starting to change, but if you look what is out in the Pacific there is some crap coming this way. I like at least a 3 day window. Yes Jeff I know where you work!! lol

May both of you have fair winds, calm seas and blue skies in your journeys north. Please post lots of pics and commentary for those of us who sit dream and dream of following in your wake.

Last year we crossed the Bar on April 1st. Had 2 ft swell @ 15 seconds from the south and 4 Knot winds, also from the south. Was like cruising Lake Mead on a very mild day. With the exception of crab pot dodging, couldn't get any better.
The Admiral is getting Antsy, but she is in no rush to have a long rough ride North.
I hope the weather changes soon, but looking at what is coming in the next 10 days makes me grateful that we are staying put.
Good news is Tom has a spot at his Dock for us, with or without Pairadice.

Comes with power and water and a bucket to piss in...

Good luck and keep us informed.

Looks like Sunday morning is when the gate opens and powering up the coast for Pairadice...ASD will be looking at the 1st of the month.

Good luck and safe cruising for you guys. I believe we seen you folks (Pairadice) at Echo Bay last year. I came over and visited with you for awhile. We also spend the winters in Las Vegas and were going to name our boat Pair-a-Dice but instead decided to take her back to her original name by first owner. Anyway, Pairadice and ASD, travel safe and will be watching you on AIS.

Looks like we have a window.
Pairadice will depart early tomorrow morning from Portland and make our way to Astoria for the night. If all goes well, we should cross the bar and make our way North early Sunday Morning. Trip should take 24 hours along the coast from Astoria to just outside Nea Bay. From there we will decide to continue on to Port Angeles or maybe the San Juan Islands.
Once we make it into the Sound we will try and update you all, wish us luck.

I fished the PNW in most weather. The ocean changes quickly. Often after a low passes, the seas quiet down for a couple days. Sometimes even knocking down the prevailing NW swells. Be prepared to go when a nice weather window appears. Stay out of shallow water to avoid the ground swell. Depending seas and swells, Astoria to Neah Bay is about 13 to 15 hours in my current boat at 10kts.
Watch out for fishing buoys. The lines are longer than needed for the depth and excess line floats on or near the surface.

Looks like we have a window.
Pairadice will depart early tomorrow morning from Portland and make our way to Astoria for the night. If all goes well, we should cross the bar and make our way North early Sunday Morning. Trip should take 24 hours along the coast from Astoria to just outside Nea Bay. From there we will decide to continue on to Port Angeles or maybe the San Juan Islands.
Once we make it into the Sound we will try and update you all, wish us luck.
You're on your way! Safe travels.
It's simply amazing that I can lounge here in my living room and watch your progress. Did you know you are so close to ASD right now?
AIS, simply amazing technology.

Greg S

Good luck with the run north. We just got underway this morning ourselves, heading up Georgia Strait from Vancouver. Conditions are excellent and the sun is shining.

You're on your way! Safe travels.
It's simply amazing that I can lounge here in my living room and watch your progress. Did you know you are so close to ASD right now?
AIS, simply amazing technology.

Greg S

Yep, he even came out in the new dink to wish us well as we passed his dock in Longview. We are now in Astoria, looks like a 5:30 AM Bar Crossing, the Admiral is so enthused. Feet on deck by 4 AM.
The high water in the Columbia gave us a real nice push almost all the way. We hit 12.1 Knots at 1700 RPM a few times. Averaged 11 most of the way. Normally we are just under 8 Knots at that RPM.

By far the nicest day we have had in over a month and tomorrow is supposed to be even better, hope so!

Cheers!

Yep, he even came out in the new dink to wish us well as we passed his dock in Longview. We are now in Astoria, looks like a 5:30 AM Bar Crossing, the Admiral is so enthused. Feet on deck by 4 AM.
The high water in the Columbia gave us a real nice push almost all the way. We hit 12.1 Knots at 1700 RPM a few times. Averaged 11 most of the way. Normally we are just under 8 Knots at that RPM.

By far the nicest day we have had in over a month and tomorrow is supposed to be even better, hope so!

Cheers!

Good luck with the run north. We just got underway this morning ourselves, heading up Georgia Strait from Vancouver. Conditions are excellent and the sun is shining.

Hope to meet up with you guys in Alaska this summer. Safe travels bud!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Richard, will you make it to SE Alaska this summer? If so, you got a hell of a run up the coast to make it. But then again, it should be a piece of cake for you by now.

Safe travels MR. Worldly Traveler, Some day if I can get the balls I might just cross a pond........Once in a Trawler would be my max. Too many times in USN vessels.

Am this morning, they had to open the RR bridge for us, That's a first! Tom from ASD came out to the main channel to meet us as we passed his place. And a scenic shot of Astoria before we pulled into the Marina

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 79
Dam. New device sorry for the sideways pics

Well I looked at every site I have and they all more or less match NOAA/NWS. West swells on the port beam all the way from the bar to the entrance of Juan De Fuca. Not fun, doable for a fast boat, but still not fun. In some cases the conditions look just OK Saturday and Sunday, then turns to crap again on Monday......

Small craft advisory thru Thursdayafternoon.

THU NIGHT SWWIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 13 SECONDS.SHOWERS.

FRIAND FRI NIGHT SW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 10 SECONDS.

SAT WWIND 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 FT AT 9 SECONDS.

SATNIGHT NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 15 SECONDS.

SUN VARIABLE WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 FT.

MON SEWIND 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

Tom. You need to study the 'Windy'Site https://www.windytv.com/?gust,-36.280,137.549,3 in detail. Learn how to read the different segments. As you become confident that the site provides excellent and accurate information even in the projections, you will come to appreciate the simplicity of the site. It should be one of your weather tools of the top three. Cheers, Al

Tom -I sent the 'Windy' site information from here in Canada B.C. where we are traveling through back to Ketchikan.. I think that as a result of being in Canada the block of information is automatically included. Hope you can work around itl If not Google it directly. Al

Greetings Capt.:flowers: I see you at Hardy Isl. We are in Prince George B.C. driving towards Prince Rupert and ferry. Will be back in Ketchikan Tuesday. Will keep an eye out for your arrival. City Float (Casey Moran Harbor) is your normal terminal as I recall. Safe voyage:speed boat:- Al-Ketchikan

Al, Windytv.com is my go to weather site. I do use a few others to verify, but windy has been spot on for me in the past and probably the easiest to use of them all.
As a side note, looks like we may delay until Noonish to cross the Bar tomorrow, wind causing messy seas in the AM.
Look for updates, Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom