Battery and water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jezum101

I have 4 Trojan T 105 batteries...Seems like they need water..Can I add water while boat is connected to AC power at the marina? First time owning bigger boat that requires so many batteries..
Or any other suggestions before adding water?
greatly appreciated

Here are the watering instructions directly from Trojan's Website. There is no mention made of disconnecting the charger while doing so, and I have never heard of one:

Watering - FLOODED BATTERIES ONLY

Flooded batteries need water.

More importantly, watering must be done at the right time and in the right amount or the battery’s performance and longevity suffers.

Water should always be added after fully charging the battery. Prior to charging, there should be enough water to cover the plates. If the battery has been discharged (partially or fully), the water level should also be above the plates. Keeping the water at the correct level after a full charge will prevent having to worry about the water level at a different state of charge.

Depending on the local climate, charging methods, application, etc., Trojan recommends that batteries be checked once a month until you get a feel for how often your batteries are need watering.

Important Things to Remember

Do not let the plates get exposed to air. This will damage (corrode) the plates.

Do not fill the water level in the filling well to the cap. This most likely will cause the battery to overflow acid, consequently losing capacity and causing a corrosive mess.

Do not use water with a high mineral content. Use distilled or deionized water only.

CAUTION: The electrolyte is a solution of acid and water so skin contact should be avoided.

Step-By-Step Watering Procedure

Open the vent caps and look inside the fill wells.

Check electrolyte level; the minimum level is at the top of the plates.

If necessary add just enough water to cover the plates at this time.

Put batteries on a complete charge before adding any additional water (refer to the Charging section).

Once charging is completed, open the vent caps and look inside the fill wells.

Add water until the electrolyte level is 1/8″ below the bottom of the fill well.

A piece of rubber can be used safely as a dipstick to help determine this level.

Clean, replace, and tighten all vent caps.

WARNING: Never add acid to a battery.

I took this from a well known site:
"Excessive charging causes electrolysis, emitting hydrogen and oxygen. This process is known as "gassing". Wet cells have open vents to release any gas produced, and VRLA batteries rely on valves fitted to each cell. Catalytic caps are available for flooded cells to recombine hydrogen and oxygen. A VRLA cell normally recombines any hydrogen and oxygen produced inside the cell, but malfunction or overheating may cause gas to build up. If this happens (for example, on overcharging) the valve vents the gas and normalizes the pressure, producing a characteristic acid smell. However, valves can fail, such as if dirt and debris accumulate, allowing pressure to build up.
Accumulated hydrogen and oxygen sometimes ignite in an internal explosion. The force of the explosion can cause the battery's casing to burst, or cause its top to fly off, spraying acid and casing fragments. An explosion in one cell may ignite any combustible gas mixture in the remaining cells. Similarly, in a poorly ventilated area, connecting or disconnecting a closed circuit (such as a load or a charger) to the battery terminals can also cause sparks and an explosion, if any gas was vented from the cells."
The OP may not have asked, but best not have the charger connected and operating, just in case, while adding water.

Appreciated. I saw that on the trojan website also. I just can't find anything the mentions whether one must disconnect from Marina Power...Thanks

thanks...So, just to clarify. I should disconnect from Marina power, disconnect battery charger, and its ok to leave batteries connected while refilling....

thanks...So, just to clarify. I should disconnect from Marina power, disconnect battery charger, and its ok to leave batteries connected while refilling....

Just turn the marina power off and if you have a main battery switch that's the "big round one" turn it off as well then just fill with distilled water not tap water just the same as you would with a car battery

IF watering is a PIA there are watering devices that will add distilled water as needed.

My first choice for house batts is Hydrocaps, which reduces the need for watering.

WE turn down the solar float voltage during our time away in the summer.

13 -13.2V keeps the batt charged and uses less water.

Cruising the float Voltage is restored to normal.

hydrocapcorp.com

Last edited:
What is being accomplished by turning off shore power? Is there some perceived safety improvement? I don't get it.

What is being accomplished by turning off shore power? Is there some perceived safety improvement? I don't get it.

Precaution only the shore power is operating the battery charger so power is feeding the battery's I also check my 4x4 battery with the engine off for the same reason .

Appreciated. I saw that on the trojan website also. I just can't find anything the mentions whether one must disconnect from Marina Power...Thanks

You do not have to disconnect the power when adding water.

You do not have to disconnect them from each other or the boat either.

There is some "advice" being posted here from people who have no idea what they are talking about. It's a frickin battery. Take the caps off and if the electrolyte level is low, fill each cell with distilled water until it's at the correct level.

Distilled water is not some magical concoction, you can get a gallon at Walmart for eighty nine cents.

Last edited:
I have never disconnected the shore power to check or add water to the batteries, for what reason?

You do not have to disconnect the power when adding water.

You do not have to disconnect them from each other or the boat either.

There is some "advice" being posted here from people who have no idea what they are talking about. It's a frickin battery. Take the caps off and if the electrolyte level is low, fill each cell with distilled water until it's at the correct level.

Distilled water is not some magical concoction, you can get a gallon at Walmart for eighty nine cents.

Agreed! :thumb:

I have never disconnected the shore power to check or add water to the batteries, for what reason?
Me either. Not in a lot of years of boating. Not that I couldn't have been doing it wrong all these years but if I get wet cells again, I won't change.

Turning the charger/ shore power off does nothing to isolate you from the battery's voltage/amperage potential.

If it`s charging, it`s giving off gas.The "mains" shorepower driven charger can be turned, flick the switch. It`s a hassle to turn off my solar so that stays connected, but it`s not a heavy charge, and I see direct,( not just the controller screen) that it is working.

I would not give any consideration to what's happening with the batteries when adding water other than I possess the time and distilled water and they are low.

Get a battery water jug. It will stop adding water when the water level is at the appropriate level. You do not even have to look inside the battery.

I am in the camp of not needing to turn off the shore power to fill these batteries. If you have something on the boat that is an obvious ignition source like a electric heater, obviously that should be shut off or disconnected as a precaution if it is in close proximity to the batteries. Please do wear eye and hand protection however as it doesn't take but a drop to do some damage. Don't over stress it, this is a simple procedure.:D

Get a battery water jug. It will stop adding water when the water level is at the appropriate level. You do not even have to look inside the battery.

+1 :thumb:

6b0b1296-4329-4f00-bc81-b45ccf860582_1.b8e5111af29b86de6dd0261159eac1a1.jpeg

...and I use these to keep the work to a minimum.

mainimage.gif

Have one on my boat. They work great. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom