Jet skis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In most states, jumping wakes of other boats is against the law. The biggest problem with Jet Skis is no one knows what to do with them. They serve no real purpose. So their purpose is invented ad hoc by the operator at that particular moment. Just my opinion/theory!!!

They actually serve in many ways the same purpose as an 18' runabout with the difference being they're much less expensive.

As to purpose, pleasure is their purpose. Pleasure of speeding along the water.

As to Texas law, since that is where you are. Jumping wakes is not against the law, jumping the wake of another boat recklessly or unnecessary close is. Here are the Texas laws which I think are quite reasonable.

All operational rules for regular motorboats also apply to PWC. In addition to those requirements, it is unlawful for any person to:

operate PWC at night (sunset until sunrise);

operate PWC within 50 feet of another PWC, motorboat, vessel, platform, person, object, or shore except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake (Headway speed = Slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage); and

operate a PWC and jump the wake of another vessel recklessly or unnecessarily close.

It is unlawful for any person to:

Operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit him to bring such boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.

Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.

Operate in a circular course around any other boat or PWC occupied by a person engaged in fishing, waterskiing, or similar activity.

Moor or attach to any buoy, beacon, light marker, stake, flag or other aid to safe operation, or to move, remove, displace, tamper with, damage or destroy the same.

Anchor in the traveled portion of any river or channel so as to prevent, impede, or interfere with safe passage of any other boat through the same area.

Operate within an area designated as bathing, fishing, swimming, or otherwise restricted.

Operate within designated "no wake" area except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake.

Engage in water skiing, surfboarding or other similar activity between the hours of ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise; provided that this shall not apply to vessels used in recognized water ski tournaments, competitions, exhibitions or trials, provided that the water area is adequately lighted.

Operate while intoxicated (loss of mental or physical faculties, or blood alcohol content of .08 or higher). First conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $2,000, confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both; second conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, confinement not to exceed one year or both; third conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment for not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.
**Failure to submit a specimen to determine blood alcohol content may result in suspension of your driver's license.

Operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device, in a willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (Violation of this provision shall be punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000 or by confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both.)

Swim or dive within two hundred yards of any sight-seeing or excursion boat except for maintenance purposes or unless within an enclosed area.

Operate within 50 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" or operate a boat within 150 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" except at Headway/Steerage Speed.

Fail to comply with the U.S. Coast Guard Inland Rules of the Road.​

All those rules seem reasonable for all boats. It comes back to reckless vs safe operation. That comes back to education and enforcement. I do believe in that regard PWC's should be treated like other boats and states should require some form of licensing to operate any boat. I believe that in spite of the fact I grew up operating boats very young and operating them safely. The problem often comes about when a rental facility just allows people to jump on and take off without even advising of proper operation.

I do believe Fort Lauderdale rentals are doing the job right, based on the operation I see and I know enforcement is there.

Ok...I stand corrected. If my wake goes undisturbed and travels 7500 miles and then a jet ski jumps it, I realize that is not against the law. I don't need a law to tell me that. Or a law to tell me that someone jumping my wake within 5 feet of my boat is considered dangerous. The bottom line is if someone engages in jumping my wake too close to my boat it is dangerous and IS AGAINST THE LAW!!!! That was my point. Point your google browser at the Gloria Estefan incident. That is the kind of crap I am talking about. I have nothing against Jet Skis. I rode one yesterday. It is the idiots that operate them. They have a tendency to have a higher percentage of idiots for the exact reasons both YOU and I stated. They are much more available to the common (ignorant) person. And once said person climbs aboard, they really don't know what to do with themselves. So they go looking for "fun".

Baker

You and I both know laws can't curb all violators. I keep my boat on the Mismi River, I bought the hose just to give my boat a place to call its own, the law says no wake allowed. Yeah that works. :banghead: The worst wake we had was from a Coast Guard boat answering a call. LOL. Many luxury boats and sport fisherman go down the river at ten knots plus. WTF

Relax and pass the Carmelita's.

And once said person climbs aboard, they really don't know what to do with themselves. So they go looking for "fun".

I think, at least in some areas, it's really changing. They are being warned and informed, they're wearing PFD's. I think the Gloria Estefan incident was horrific. The jet skier actually ran into the side of her boat. I haven't noticed much wake jumping when going to Miami Beach so I'd be interested if others have. I think her incident has been used to tighten regulations.

There are all sorts of incidents on the water and many involve reckless operation. Jose Fernandez was a recent one that hit Miami hard. That one brings all sorts of questions.

Greetings,
If approached by a jet ski(s) intent on jumping my wake, I stop or go to dead slow. The thrill seekers seldom stick around. On occasion, I too have had instances where I've felt the "operator" has been way too close at too high a speed for safety. Mine primarily.

RT

I've tried that many times and after they left because I took away the thrill away and then sped up again only to have those idiots come charging back so I slowed again. I guess that pissed them up on various occasions so the charge the transom of my boat to abruptly do a 180 and spray the boat with water from their exhaust. Yeah it's only water but still it's rude and boarish behavior.

In most states, jumping wakes of other boats is against the law. The biggest problem with Jet Skis is no one knows what to do with them. They serve no real purpose. So their purpose is invented ad hoc by the operator at that particular moment. Just my opinion/theory!!!
:thumb:. A device looking for a purpose. In 5 minutes operator boredom sets in, and strange antisocial behavior follows.

If you ask the same question at a nursing home you would have received the same reply's . LOL what a lot of old fuddy duddys. :)

If you ask the same question at a nursing home you would have received the same reply's . LOL what a lot of old fuddy duddys. :)
I think we are onto something. If memory is gone, a jetski could be fun, every repeated action could seem new, and exciting, again, and again....we`ve found a use for them!

:thumb:. A device looking for a purpose. In 5 minutes operator boredom sets in, and strange antisocial behavior follows.

The Baker theory on Jet Skis!!!! :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

I think we are onto something. If memory is gone, a jetski could be fun, every repeated action could seem new, and exciting, again, and again....we`ve found a use for them!

I quite imagine those on jet ski's wouldn't consider trawlers at 6-8 knots to be a lot of fun.

Well, it only took about five responses before the thread was derailed. :eek:

I met a guy who had trouble getting in and out of a conventional dinghy (he was on the large side) so he bought a PWC. He had a Bayliner, perhaps 40' or so and he had the foredeck reinforced and installed a cradle for the PWC and a crane to lift it into and out of the water.

He used to be the dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Well, it only took about five responses before the thread was derailed. :eek:

I met a guy who had trouble getting in and out of a conventional dinghy (he was on the large side) so he bought a PWC. He had a Bayliner, perhaps 40' or so and he had the foredeck reinforced and installed a cradle for the PWC and a crane to lift it into and out of the water.

He used to be the dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I can see that. Just sit on it as opposed to stepping across and into something.

I can see that. Just sit on it as opposed to stepping across and into something.

We each have our own set of circumstances and our own solutions.

A jet ski could be adapted to carry groceries and supplies. One potential problem is, at least in SC, they cannot legally be run at night. I don't know if adding running lights would make one legal or not. Personally, I think a larger dinghy or even something like a Jon boat would have been a better choice. Between the jet ski, the crane and reinforcing the foredeck, he must have spent $10K or so.

WesK

$10K would be real cheap.

Looking at some of the larger Kawasaki's, actually the only brand that can legally call itself a jet ski, I see the larger models have storage of 56 gallons under the hood. More than adequate to carry groceries and other things.

Yup. 56 gallons should be enough beer...

PvZ2jLjFofH4Q.gif

BandB

Last summer I cleared at Chub as I usually do. On the way to Chub two jet skis passed me on the banks, my immediate thought was moron, running around out here with nothing around. I found out that the couple left Miami as I did that morning. The had fuel, food and clothes on board for a week. They were part of a club that travels long distances on these little bikes.

They do have their moments....

But we were around a few this morning in confined waters behind Myrtle Beach...well behaved....

On the other hand, just had 2 trawlers wake the marina pretty well....enough that the Dockmaster came out screaming.

There are no purist groups of boaters....

Only good and bad boaters no matter what they drive.

................ we were around a few this morning in confined waters behind Myrtle Beach...well behaved......

Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is jet ski hell in season. There are a bunch of rental places along there and they rent to people who have never driven a jet ski (or boat) before.

There's nothing quite like tooling up or down the ICW at seven knots and looking up to see fifteen jet skis heading towards you and spread out across the waterway. At the last second they split up and half of them pass you on either side. And of course when their time is up they turn around and pass you again in the other direction. :banghead:

And that's a problem if you aren't in a kayak?

And probably no worse than a thousand other places....seen that before hundreds of times towing someone in NJ.

Point being is there are bad or truly inexperienced boaters driving all kinds of vessels.

Last edited:
Hi Scott

I imagine they must be a big part of your income towing in a moron who broke down. I've had a few ask me for a tow back from the Elliot Key area to Key Biscayne, I offer to call a towing service but they have no money to pay. Oh well.

"We each have our own set of circumstances and our own solutions.
A jet ski could be adapted to carry groceries and supplies. One potential problem is, at least in SC, they cannot legally be run at night. I don't know if adding running lights would make one legal or not. Personally, I think a larger dinghy or even something like a Jon boat would have been a better choice. Between the jet ski, the crane and reinforcing the foredeck, he must have spent $10K or so."

Hello Wes, yes - back to the OP.
FWIW - we had been fortunate enough to cruise on many occasions where both our jet ski and RIB were along for the trip - as well as other boats that also had RIBs or jet skis. In every case both the adults and the younger crew would end up preferring the Rib or Ribs as opposed to the jet ski(s). When they were all around at anchor or a dock the Ribs would serve as a base or for long excursions where the jet ski would be used intermittently or eventually not at all.

"I met a guy who had trouble getting in and out of a conventional dinghy (he was on the large side) so he bought a PWC. He had a Bayliner, perhaps 40' or so and he had the foredeck reinforced and installed a cradle for the PWC and a crane to lift it into and out of the water.
He used to be the dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach, SC."

That owners is pretty active on the Baylinerownersclub site and has done a really nice job setting up the larger jet ski on the bow of his 38 Bayliner. I tend to be cautious when telling folks about this set up as the extra weight both high and forward on the boat really affect the handling when you are talking about these sizes. If anyone were to consider this arrangement I would ask them to please consider the types of cruising they do in both speed and sea states and 'test' the affect of this amount and location of weight before they commit to a design such as this.

Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is jet ski hell in season. There are a bunch of rental places along there and they rent to people who have never driven a jet ski (or boat) before.

There's nothing quite like tooling up or down the ICW at seven knots and looking up to see fifteen jet skis heading towards you and spread out across the waterway. At the last second they split up and half of them pass you on either side. And of course when their time is up they turn around and pass you again in the other direction. :banghead:

Wifey B: Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is trawler hell in season. There are a bunch of people who act like it's their first time on the water. They think because they're bigger that everyone should give the entire ICW to them.

There's nothing quite like tooling up and down the ICW at 30 mph and looking to see two or three trawlers taking the entire channel. They know at the last second we'll split up and go around them since it's clear they aren't going to change anything. And of course, they get upset when we come back by returning to our origination. :banghead:

Couldn't resist, but in all seriousness, it's a congested area and all contribute toward it. Yes, some of the jet skiers have no idea what they're doing. Same with some of the runabouts and some of the trawlers. On holidays and weekends it reminds us of the lake we lived on. :eek:

I treat jet skis the same way super tankers treat me...

Bet it is not hard to figure out, the jet skiers do and I have no problems with them...and they are happy so....all is well.....:D

Those jet skiers kind of remind me of all those darn pedestrians crossing the streets when I'm trying to drive to work.....

Back
Top Bottom