A different navigation experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowdogs

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Norway to build $315 million ship tunnel.. Norway to build world's first ship tunnel - CNN.com

Norway4x3-582x437.jpg
Norway-InLine_2-582x437.jpg

So what happens when a terrorist sinks a ship in the middle of the tunnel?

Ted

Wow. $315 million. I bet the US could build that for five times the amount.

So what happens when a terrorist sinks a ship in the middle of the tunnel?

Ted
Similar question was asked when the Channel Tunnel was built, linking France and England. Wonder if they'll close it now with Brexit :popcorn:

Richard

Similar question was asked when the Channel Tunnel was built, linking France and England. Wonder if they'll close it now with Brexit :popcorn:

Richard

Yes, I remember the terrorist concern. Unfortunately it will never go away. As someone in homeland security once put it, " We need to be right every time. The terrorists only need to be right once ".

Ted

No mention of current, but usually whenever two distinct ocean locations are connected, there is a difference in the tide which yields a current.

Geeze, I'd hate to be in there if the tide rose 10 feet.....

What's to prevent topside abrasion scraping against the tunnel sides?

I'd be interested to know how they ventilate the tunnel, and how much extra drag there is running through such a narrow water way.

A cruise ship with a gastroenterologist conference aboard should be the first one through :cool:

These kinds of infrastructure projects fascinate me. If you Google Earth a map of Norway, you can easily see why a navigable tunnel at this location will create a safer passage to north and south, keeping vessels out of the rough waters of the North Sea/Norwegian Sea. I am impressed.

Back
Top Bottom