Big storm coming this weekend over northwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rain in Howe Sound where we live was incredible last night. About 100mm or 4".

We are a couple hundred miles inland from the coast. We got a lot of wind yesterday but it let up last night. It's a "stiff breeze" this morning but not like it was yesterday.

Assume this is from the same system, but on Thursday night or very early Friday some of the sailboats at the Pacific Sail and Power Boat Show in Richmond, California were damaged. One pulled a cleat right off the dock. Someone said that there were 5' swells and a few gusts that hit 70mph overnight there.

I am so sick and tired of the rain. I am hoping the weather will stay bad here and be sunny and warm in SE Alaska......Starting to watch weather windows for the hop around the horn...

I've seen it sunny and frequently in the 80's K town to J town.

Not likely to happen. If you hate rain SE is not for you.
More often than not some good weather happens in SE but it's much more likely to be wet. But if you think wet is associated w gusty winds and slobbering rain you will be pleasantly supprised as wet in SE is usually coastal drizzel more often light. And w/o that dang sun very little wind will develop.

Pleasant days w/o need for sunglasses. But I was born in Juneau twenty years before Alaska was a state and probably didn't see the sun till I was several months old. A perfect day to me is not windy or even breezy, no sunshine and not raining .. at the moment.

Last edited:
Greetings,
"...before Alaska was a state..."

l2Je3PLQAW28w8wtW.gif

Yes RT,
And my ancestry has me about 20% Russian. Only because a Russian soldier was captured in Sweeden when the two countries were at war. The Russian soldier stayed in Sweeden and married ........
The trail came to Canada and eventually Alaska.

Was born in 1939 and AK achieved statehood in 1959. 59 was one of the two years I worked in a gold mine near Bethel in western Alaska.

Re the thread we live near Concrete WA behind a 3000' mountian and hardly got any wind at all. We were in Mt Vernon that day and walking in the wind was easy. Probably gusts to 30. On the TV they said it blew 90 somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm also tired of the snotty weather. The only saving grace is we are snug in the Marina for the time being. The admiral is getting real "Antsy", but we may see a window in 9-11 days to head north.
We need to be up near Port McNiel before ASD catches up with us, cuz that "Trawler" of his can cruise 4 times faster then us.

The wind yesterday was pretty blustery. The wind in Gig Harbor kept switching directions, causing the boat to bounce around the slip. Good test for my new mooring lines. They worked great.

Spent the day at anchor in the San Juans. Definitely some 50+ gusts. Would heel the boat over quite a bit. About 30 foot of water and had 200 foot of chain out. Love my Fortress anchor. The boat "sails" a lot and it was a little nerve-wracking when it was sailing and coming up on the rode when a gust hit. Kept waiting for something to give. Fortunately nothing did and the Masters kept coming in clear.

Last edited:
Spent the day at anchor in the San Juans. Definitely some 50+ gusts. Would heel the boat over quite a bit. About 30 foot of water and had 200 foot of chain out. Love my Fortress anchor. The boat "sails" a lot and it was a little nerve-wracking when it was sailing and coming up on the rode when a gust hit. Kept waiting for something to give. Fortunately nothing did and the Masters kept coming in clear.

Curious, any snubber or bridle on that chain?

I'm also tired of the snotty weather. The only saving grace is we are snug in the Marina for the time being. The admiral is getting real "Antsy", but we may see a window in 9-11 days to head north.
We need to be up near Port McNiel before ASD catches up with us, cuz that "Trawler" of his can cruise 4 times faster then us.

The weather is starting to settle a little on the Columbia River, not so many 40-70ft logs coming down river and the water is starting to clear. As it stands now, we only have one rider wanting to go around the horn to the San Juans. From there we are wide open!!!

Crusty, put the Admiral in the water with her flippers and have her push! You might be able to catch up!!:angel:

The winds are still blowing here although not as strong as the past couple of days. Weather right now shows steady at 22 with gusts to 30. They should be tapering off by 7pm. That's what they've been doing the past few days. Blows like hell during the day, calms down a bit as the sun goes down.

I'm ready for some 80's, light breezes, no clouds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

All this wind can be attributed to The Peoples Republic of Portland! They all have thier mouths open and sucking the oxygen out of the air!

We are in a slip at Cap Sante and had a booth at the Anacortes Boat Show this past weekend. Registered a gust of 60 at the end of E-dock on Friday. Thought the vendor tent was going to come down a couple of times. Been blustery pretty much every day since last Thursday. We were going to leave for home today (Port Ludlow) after my wife got back from the Richmond show, but 20-30+ all day has us staying an extra day. We too are ready for some "settled" weather...

Although docking this boat in Coupeville in 35-45 winds at midnight the previous weekend was the most challenging hour we've had in 5+ years. That's spring boating for you!

Back
Top Bottom