New Member wants advice about Great Loop boat selection S/H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the $80,000 max budget, one could find a 2008ish Ranger Tug 25. A nice, trailerable little boat (8.5' beam) with an inboard diesel.

Another choice, if one would be happy with a small, spartan, boat, would be a C-Dory 25. Used C-Dory can be had for $50,000-$70,000. These are also easily trailerable (8.5' beam) and come with single or twin gas outboards.

Jim

A friend of mine has a 34' Mainship that he let me run on Lake Ponchartrain. It has a flybridge and I really liked the view and ride up there. But it seemed like it would be tough for someone not very athletic to dock single-handed. Of course, practice makes perfect. I'd fear falling off the ladder at a crucial moment. Thus the interest in a helm-side door to be close to the lines.

I would recommend a early model Mainship 34, ....

Most of the Mainship 34 trawlers that I have seen, have the optional lower helm as well as the upper helm. They also have a door at the lower helm. For me, this would be the perfect trawler for a single or a couple, with room for the occasional visitor. I think, however, that you would have a hard time finding one, however, within your budget.

Hadn't seen the part about budget, when I posted my earlier note.

We had an early Mainshhip 34, great boat... but yes, no helm door and it had a ladder. Wouldn't be my choice for single-handing. The later Mainship 350/390, 34T, 400, etc. models all have stairs to the bridge and lower helm doors. Much better for single-handling, I think.

That said... I don't have a lower helm now, no lower helm door... and I can single-hand in many circumstances. There are some work-arounds...

-Chris

Lots of great food for thought in this thread. Feels like I am reading my Thanksgiving Dinner! Many thanks to all who are sharing their thoughts and experience. It's very beneficial.

Nordic 26 or 32 would meet his 6'2" height requirement. Not sure about the Ranger Tug. I prefer the interior finish and size of a NT 26 over a Ranger Tug 25. Either way, they hold their value well and could resell without​ losing much, if any. If you find a NT with a stbd side berth up forward, they have much more room than a V berth.

You'd make lots of friends with a NT26 on the loop. They still draw admirers every where you'd pull in.

I'm a big C Dory fan too. But it would be a bit more like camping. Read Waterhorse by William Least Heat Moon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom