VDO Red Replacement Bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelydon

Vessel Name
Legacy
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 48E
I am planning to move the boat from GA back home to NC this weekend. Weather permitting we will run the ocean up to Cape Fear River. I am currently in NC and it occurred to me that during the last overnight run the backlights on the instrument panel were too bright. The panel is a standard Cummins with analog gauges 6bt circa 2000. Does anyone know the size/type of a red 12v bulb that will fit this application or the order number for an aftermarket bulb that works? It's not a critical issue but I would love to have 4 red bulbs in hand when I get on the boat.

Thanks,

Don

I have duplicate lights in all areas of the cabin with red led lighting but my instrument panel is not illuminated in red but does have a reostat for dimming the lights to a tolerable level while still allowing the gauges to be seen. Any DC lighting could be dimmed I would think.

Alan, the dimmer would work but tapping into the harness and mounting the switch would be a bit more difficult than just replacing the bulbs, I think! Dave, thanks for the link. I'm wondering if the gauges or their replacement bulbs changed over the 10 years between 1989 and 2000? I like the idea of LEDs. I converted the 14 overhead lamps to LED last summer and the amp saving is impressive.

If I don't get it fixed this trip it will be on the list for sooner than later.

Don

Many earlier (pre 2000 or so) VDO gauges used these colored covers with the incandescent instrument bulbs.

I just converted my generator remote panel to red lighting, and it is only a couple of years old.

VDO%20T10%20Bulb%20Cover%20Pack_100_80mm-500x500.jpg

IMAG0895a.jpg

I put those little bulb condoms on, dimmed it right down and of course turned them red. Satisfied with night illumination now.

Where do you get little bulb condoms?

When I buy new vdo gauges, the condoms come with them. Probably can get them from one of the vdo vendors like eguages.

Many earlier (pre 2000 or so) VDO gauges used these colored covers with the incandescent instrument bulbs.

That's is a BA7s bulb.

IMAG0895a.jpg

That's is a BA7s bulb.

I would like to thank you all for the help and suggestions. I am going to try the magic marker/polish for this trip and when I know exactly what bulb it takes I'll go from there.

Don

Nail polish won't last too long, the red bulbs I got from VDO had some sort of paint on them, even that faded after a while.

I had a message asking for a dimmer instruction sheet, it's attached if anyone wants it. Mine works from this design, YMMV, the design is worth every penny you paid for it. :flowers:

Attachments

• Instr_dimmer.pdf
    853 KB · Views: 31
Thank you Maerin.

Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom