Gen. Fuel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

Ok .. it's not on a boat but I thought I'd ask here .....

Our Condo Bldg. has a 100 KW Emerg. Diesel Generator and I noticed on a walk through that the primary fuel filter is mounted at almost 90 deg. to the vertical ( almost horizontal ). Since the outlet from the fuel tank is close to floor level, the filter did not have the clearance to be upright when they built this thing. Is this filter doing the proper job ? I was under impression that there should be a centrifuge effect of sorts .. ? that's why they are vertical.

Tx. in advance ..... FB

Attachments

• 2017-03-11 10.32.15.jpg
    2017-03-11 10.32.15.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 62
That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron.

Not positioned right, alot of muck settles down in the bowl, looks like a quick plumber job....

"That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron."

Plus 1 to Jay - these are not sensitive to orientation much as the filter media itself takes up over 90% of the cavity. The 'top' and 'bottom' of the filter media is directly pressed upon each end and the filter 'open spaces' are small and 360 degrees around the filter perimeter -so you should be fine as long as you can easily prime the system.

Ex

Does the genset have an on engine fuel filter? In most places with emergency gensets (often regulated by code or insurance) there will be a service tag for filter change out dates fastened to the filter. The fuel in the tank should have a change out date affixed too.

Ask the building manager for the check list and service logs. Pretend this genset is on a boat and Jay Leonard is the engineer. :thumb:

There is a bleed screw on the "top", or in this case on the side which is not right, or fine.

"That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron."

Plus 1 to Jay - these are not sensitive to orientation much as the filter media itself takes up over 90% of the cavity. The 'top' and 'bottom' of the filter media is directly pressed upon each end and the filter 'open spaces' are small and 360 degrees around the filter perimeter -so you should be fine as long as you can easily prime the system.

"There is a bleed screw on the "top", or in this case on the side which is not right, or fine."

It is fine and likely right form what I have seen.....
I have done two if these in the past week or so - most often they are very easy to bleed even at this angle. But most often there is another bleed valve down-line from this filter which is even easier to use to get the bleeding done. A nd in a few of the 'building' backup systems I have worked with the system is bled by engaging an electrical pump after filter changes so no 'bleeding' per se is necessary. But the ability to bleed the entire system is why I mentioned it in the first place. I have a few of those filter elements in my tool box right now at home.

With a few more NPT fittings, you could raise the filter off the floor. Would make it easier to drain and change element.

Looks like an oil burner filter , not a diesel fuel filter.

These stop lumps and chunks but not water.

The engines protection is probably on the engine from the OEM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom