Trawler Lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 1988 36 ft trawler and want some info on a Trawler lamp. I notice that they come in 2 sizes reg size and mini .. which size do most folks have?

Now this really burns my Butt. Just when I thought that I have everything I need you had to bring this up!!!!

really ?????

Greetings,
Mr. K. I am unsure as to what you are asking. Are you referring to running lights/lamps or some other lighting device?

Trawler lamp the kind you use in the salon over the table ...

Greetings,
Mr. K. I can't say I've ever seen one on board any boat I've been on nor was I familiar with the term before you posted your query. That's not saying much but I'd be curious as to why they are called trawler lamps.
This site lists a bunch of "pendulum lamps" with a variety of descriptive titles.
Pendulum lamps | Den Haan Rotterdam

IMG_0687.jpg

Like this?

Or this?

Attachments

• ZIgi20gtQk22rAfrhLNhZw_thumb_3de9.jpg
    ZIgi20gtQk22rAfrhLNhZw_thumb_3de9.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 112
One swinging salon.

We have one but keep it in our storage unit.

I love oil lamps. The small ones for best on Seaweed though I do have a 10" globe lamp from Holland that hangs in my pilothouse. It has a large round wick and it throws off quite a bit of heat.

This one is also about 10". It was in my cabin when I was a kid and now is next to my dinette. Originally it came from a lobster boat mother's family had in Maine. It's copper now because I was an idiot and took the wrong cleanser to the brass. Oops.

StarboardNet.jpg

My most used oil lamp is the small one on the left in front of the one mounted on my bookcase by the sink. It has a flat 1/2" wick which puts out a nice light without being too bright and/or hot. That's an issue in the south: heat from oil lanterns.

BobsOilLanterns.jpg

Suggestion: put citronella in one of your lanterns to keep away the mosquitoes. And makes sure your wick is not one of those tiny round ones. They are ambiance versus light.

Janice, the wall mounted one in pic 2 may be an old miners lamp. The plaque I see on it might help.

BruceK. It's a knock-off yacht boy. It has a 1/8" round wick and is practically useless. But it looks good and I can turn up the wick to make it somewhat brighter.

The one I use most is just a brass patio lamp. It is easy to light and hangs above my dinette.

I bought a cabella's brand oil lantern NOS (new old stock) and it is flawed. When first lit all is well but after about five minutes it becomes an inferno! Cabellas no longer stocks it and I have been unable to find any how-to-fix-it instructions online. It is solid brass and pretty to look at. I paid $40 so am hoping I can make it work properly at some point.

I love the ambiance of oil lanterns and when anchored usually have one lit. They feel like home.
We did not have a lot of power so lighting was kerosene. Heat too when we were too far north when winter arrived.

Upstairs and downstairs 'trawler lamps' on Libra. Or....perhaps they are 'kotter lamps'.

Attachments

• Libra upper saloon.jpg
    Libra upper saloon.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Libra down dining.jpg
    Libra down dining.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 95
The large one is the DHR Clipper which now lives in the garage.
What we should have bought was the Trawler Lamp.
THe other two are the DHR Gimbal Lamp which are still on the boat but have not been used in at least 15 yrs.

We did use them but for a time but finally quit. Pretty but we did not find them practical for lighting. Hot and although they burned cleanly they still had a distinct odour to them.

We also would not trust them to leave. The overhead got very hot when they were running and although I thought of several ways to protect the overhead we finally decided to quit using them. Even if the vinyl did not get hot enough to burn it was hot enough to damage the vinyl.

The Clipper I had to secure with 3 small bungees or it would swing wildly in any kind of a sea. It also was a head banger over the table and that hurt.
I will admit our boat is quite a bit smaller than yours so a Trawler Lamp may work better for you than us.

The DHR are well made and good looking lamps that do really work so I have no quarrel that way at all.

The one I do use when anchoring is the DHR Anchor light 4" . It has proved to be a good lamp even in lousy weather. The Taiwan copy was pretty but failed all the time.

But personally if we did not already have the first three I would not bother.

Get one if you wish for appearances/ambiance but I would not suggest it as a substitute for good electric light. Or maybe if you are super battery conscious.

Last edited:
Anyone have soot issues, particularly with a white ceiling?

My wife gave me this one as gift last year, very nice one:

AMMAJ307-Z.jpg

As for the soot if you use quality oil it does not smell or fume.

L.

I changed mine out to a more modern fixture I purchased at Lowes. I also got the matching sconce that serves as a night light in the salon at the marina. My pendant light hangs close to the ceiling and over a bar not a table, so no real swinging. I put LEDS in them. Not a fan of oil lamps.

We have a hatch over the salon table and use an unpressurized mantle lamp outside. Aladin.

No heat ,no bugs bright !!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom