New to the forum, questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

entdoc

Hello: just signed up and need some help. I have recently retired and want to get back into a boat / big enough to live on w/e's, entertain, have the grandkids on and explore the ICW, go to Fl and east coast. Live in NC now. Planning on keeping the boat around Wilmington, Swansboro area. Previous 42' sabre sailboat owner for 10 years and sold this in 2004. Not interested in sailing anymore - too much work - and we are thinking about a transition into a trawler. Thoughts ? appreciated. Am a retired surgeon. Handy w tools and maintenance / engines and battery stuff.

New to trawlers in general. Have all my certifications and coast guard stuff for blue water. Need some thoughts and comments on best place to start looking for the ideal fit. Hoping to get a 3 stateroom config and a tug boat / GB space in the salon. Problem I have to say - my wife is not a sailor and is concerned about this. She is excited about the trawler solution for our need to be on the water and have a place on the water to entertain. Bill

Lot's of us Raleigh folk 'round these parts now. Bless our hearts. :)

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us on the Trawler Forum

Welcome to the forum! Consider renting one before you decide make and model. Size matters. Figure out your purchase price range and annual budget before you get your heart set on what you have to have.

Ted

Thanks everybody. Rental for sure for a weekend a great idea. Lots of time to start researching options.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

img_540150_0_b3557129ff072f1d0bacac23f2834c58.jpg

Welcome aboard.
Many of us here on the forum have gone from sail to a trawler.

I see you have been officially welcomed aboard by MR RT Firefly, so dive right in.

Personally, I would try to work out what you are prepared to spend, allowing for annual upkeep, which traditionally is factored at about 10% of the purchase price, then have a look to see what is on the market in that price range and go & have a look at as many boats as you can. You will soon get a feel for what works for both of you.

Asking TF members about which boat to buy is a bit tricky, we all have so much emotional capital invested in our boats, we are not the most impartial of people. However..............I really should mention Island Gypsy's, fabulous vessels!

Welcome aboard. Boats of all kinds on TF, you`ll have all the advice you like, and perhaps more besides.
Let`s see, 3 cabins, good salon space, entertainer...I might use the "B" for Bayliner word, followed by "4788". Tough making suggestions without a price range, but those on TF with them are happy.

Thanks everybody. Rental for sure for a weekend a great idea. Lots of time to start researching options.

Unfortunately, there is no rental market in NC. You will need to goto FL for any real rental options.

You can always window shop in New Bern, Wilmington, and Oriental. There is a pretty good cross section to give you an idea.

Welcome. I made the transition from sail to power almost a year ago. Others have mentioned it, but I strongly recommend chartering a boat a few times. This will give you and your wife a list of things you want and don't want. It will also give your wife the confidence to make a purchase decision.

The Bayliner 4788 is a bargain for the size and features you are looking for, at least out here on the West Coast. OTOH, if I was to buy new I would buy a http://www.northpacificyachts.com/49-pilothouse/ with the three stateroom layout.

Back
Top Bottom