View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
KonaBoy

City: Kailua Kona, HI
Vessel Name: April Fool
Vessel Model: StillLooking
Lightbulb In the market for my first trawler for the Great LooP

After having been a sailboat enthusiast my ability to handle strenuous situations suggests that it might be time to try the trawler lifestyle with fewer physical and mental demands. All the internet chat suggests trying a lot of trawlers before you buy one. But how can you get access to be able to operate and live on many different trawlers to find out about liveability and handling characteristics before you buy. I have seen 3 day classes for $4000 and little to no ability to rent trawlers. Is there any way to get some on the water boat handling experience before you buy without spending a fortune on private lessons?

I know everyone will say that it depends on what you want the boat for, where you intend to use it, and how deep are your pockets. Well to start with I think I would like to find a 32-38 foot flybridge trawler with reasonable fuel efficiency (diesel) to do the great loop. With a budget of about $75,000 it might be hard to get everything I want as far as electronics, boat handling, and comfort features. Does it make sense to buy a boat just suited for the loop with plans to sell it at the end of the trip and then buy what you really want?
KonaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote