Need help with oil pressure gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
While underway last weekend I noticed the oil pressure gauge needle was maxed out at more than 80 psi (it's usually around 40). It happened to me once last year but the next day everything was fine so I though maybe the gauge*was freaking out. This time I went to check the other gauge on the flybridge and this one too was at 80. So is the oil pressure really that high or maybe the sender is going nuts?

Fotoman wrote:
While underway last weekend I noticed the oil pressure gauge needle was maxed out at more than 80 psi (it's usually around 40). It happened to me once last year but the next day everything was fine so I though maybe the gauge*was freaking out. This time I went to check the other gauge on the flybridge and this one too was at 80. So is the oil pressure really that high or maybe the sender is going nuts?
*My money is on the sender.

"My money is on the sender"

I also bet his money on the sender.
biggrin.gif
That has happened to me more than once.

Could it be a pressure relief valve problem?

nomadwilly wrote:
Could it be a pressure relief valve problem?
*Not likely.* It would take a pretty big blockage across that hole to cause that* high of pressure.

Let us know what you find.* I want to charge jleonard for*his share of the bet.
teamwork.gif

Just talked to Brian at AD. The likely cause is the wiring so I'll check it out tonight.

My John Deere (built in France) came with the wrong water sensor (Czech Republic) and oil sensor (Germany).* Water temperature reads too high and oil pressure too low.* Will be changing them out.

markpierce wrote:
*Water temperature reads too high and oil pressure too low.*
* * * * Mark: Re: water temp...what's too high? Have you checked it with an IR gun?

I put a tee where the sender screws into the block and installed a small mech gauge rite into the tee now I can verify the elec gauge

SeaHorse II wrote:markpierce wrote:
*Water temperature reads too high and oil pressure too low.*
* * * * Mark: Re: water temp...what's too high? Have you checked it with an IR gun?

*Slightly over boiling.* Have an IR gun, but how would I measure internal water temperature with that?

markpierce wrote:*Slightly over boiling.* Have an IR gun, but how would I measure internal water temperature with that?
*The temp of the block at the point of contact of the sending unit*will be almost the same by about a few *

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 09:45:38 AM

markpierce wrote:
*Slightly over boiling.* Have an IR gun, but how would I measure internal water temperature with that?
******** On my boat I have a hatch that lets me point the gun at the thermostat housing

******** which is where I take my reading.

Attachments

• coolant cap after.jpg
    coolant cap after.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
If you take the lead off the sender and ground it out. The guage should peg all the way over if not. The guage is bad.**If it does it's the sender.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 09:52:05 AM

I am betting he has a bad connection, possibly due to corrossion. Last year it was intermittent and this year it got worse. If the connections look OK and it is still bad, you can run a temporary wire from the sender to the guage to eliminate the old wire and see if it works properly.

R.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom