Leaving Key West for Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Carter's Cove II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
I'm looking at windfinder to find the best day to cross the gulf to Ft. Myers. It's looking like Wednesday will be the best. I will keep an eye on the site for changes but it looks good here and in Ft. Myers. I may hit a little wind if I get in to late. I also have to watch the tide in Ft. Myers beach as it moves in an out with a strong current. There is a great diesel station in there. I get a good price there with cash. A lot of places give good cash discounts or some will give you a nights stay if you buy more then a hundred gallons.

IMG_0934.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

How Many kids get to rub the belly of a manatee

Dave,
Checking Marv's weather forecast:

Dee Light Website

Wednesday looks best going from Key West to Ft Myers Beach.

Enjoy and hope to see you in Tennessee this summer.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Marathon, FL

There's a commercial fuel dock next to Ft. Myers beach mooring field.

Yes I always stop at that fuel dock. He has the best price if you have cash. He also lets me tie off after 5 for $15.

IMG_0269.JPG
We traveled 190 miles across the gulf from key west Florida to punta gorda Florida. I tried to avoid the crab pots. It was a great day.
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
Wish I could show you my video.

Left Clearwater and made it to Carrabelle Fl today. We're sitting at a fuel dock waiting for them to open at 7.

IMG_0311.JPG
Another great crossing. It got a little ruff at the end. I couldn't wait to get rinsed off.

Wednesday we left Dog Island at Carrabelle at 7:15 am with fog and light chop. The fog burned off within a couple of hours. Our destination was The Wharf Marina in Orange Beach. During the 218 mile crossing we experienced 3 periods of wave activity. By 1:00 the light chop increased to 2 ft waves. While coming through the Panama City inlet, the wave activity increased to 6 footers. The challenge was to steer into the waves while maintaining the boat's route and keeping the boat upright and passengers safe.

Our 12 hr. day concluded with a ride on a ferries wheel and dinner before well earned rest for all.

Yesterday was windy so our decision was to remain tied up at The Wharf. David changed fuel filters and a couple other routine maintenance tasks. Much of the day was spent watching weather forecasts and discussing possible alternatives for travel.

Travel advisors, Brian and Ken, weighed in with suggestions where we might wait out the weather predicted for the weekend. We dined out, did a little shopping, and retired early in preparation for an early departure Friday.

IMG_0362.JPG

Today we're crossing Mobile bay.

Wednesday we left Dog Island at Carrabelle at 7:15 am with fog and light chop. The fog burned off within a couple of hours. Our destination was The Wharf Marina in Orange Beach. During the 218 mile crossing we experienced 3 periods of wave activity. By 1:00 the light chop increased to 2 ft waves. While coming through the Panama City inlet, the wave activity increased to 6 footers. The challenge was to steer into the waves while maintaining the boat's route and keeping the boat upright and passengers safe.

Our 12 hr. day concluded with a ride on a ferries wheel and dinner before well earned rest for all.

Wifey B: I had to laugh as 6 foot waves weren't enough for you guys so you got on this giant 30 or 40' wave thing that goes round and round. :)

The pics are great! Do you have a drone for the ariel?

It was great to meet you today at Dog River. Please keep us posted on your trip upriver since we'll be a couple of weeks behind you. When we get to Tellico Lake we'll look you up.

Paul

We made mobile in three travel days we stayed at burnt store in Cape Coral for four days to visit family and had to stay an extra day in orange beach fl for high winds. So we left Key West fly on the 22nd. I will be at Bobbies fish camp this afternoon and in Demopolis tomorrow.

IMG_0438.JPG
Last night we anchored in the Alabama cut. Great place we only needed one anchor as the current kept us straight.
Although I had a close call with an alligator. I got up to pee off the swim platform and looked down to see a six footer. By the time I got things put away and got the camera he was gone.

IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
Started the day with a lot of debris. It's clearing up a bit now and I'm back up to speed. Just an occasional log or fishermen.

The pics are great! Do you have a drone for the ariel?

Yes I'm still learning to use it. It's a little scary on the boat. There's a thousand dollars flying over water. Not to mention you have to let it take off from your hand and retrieve it the same way. The steering is backwards coming back to you so it makes you a little nevious. One little slip and it hits part of the boat or me and that would really hurt.
But the photos and videos are great. I wish I could post the videos here.

Last edited:
It was great to meet you today at Dog River. Please keep us posted on your trip upriver since we'll be a couple of weeks behind you. When we get to Tellico Lake we'll look you up.

Paul

I'm sorry I didn't have more time to chat. I want to get to Demopolis before Monday's storm. The river is up and there's lots of debris the current as close as I can tell is 3 knots.

How many days from Key West to Mobile bay? Average speed?

As far as speed I seem to hold plane and really purr along at 2600 rpms and that usually gives me 19 to 22 mph depending on seas and winds

Please let us know the current condition of things at Bobbie's.

Image1491086100.077927.jpg
Seems the same. They have new docks if you didn't see my post on the way down. More photos to come after dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom