ASD On The Hard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have been on the hard since Friday. Yearly inspection, bottom paint and a good wax/polish. Later this week we get a new davit installed for our new dinghy.

I had forgot we had SS rudders! Props, shafts and cutlass are in great shape.:thumb:

I also forgot how the blisters pop out at you when you apply new coat of paint. One future summer, I want to soda blast the hull, fix the blisters and repaint. I have had a friend ask me "How many boats do you know sank due to a blister? So I am not too worried about it.

First pic is before, second is after. I really like the buffer, pads and compound I bought from Shurhold....

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4259.jpg
    IMG_4259.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4270.jpg
    IMG_4270.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4253.jpg
    IMG_4253.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 176
Tom, your bottom is a lot cleaner than mine was, must be that speed your able to get.

And the fashion statement that Kay is sporting is soooo hot!

Crusty Chief said:
Tom, your bottom is a lot cleaner than mine was, must be that speed your able to get.
Nothin' to do with speed.
Rot gut wine and burritos, I tell ya.

I was a little a little surprised that there were no barnacles. They did leave their footprint on the trim tabs, but that was it. Yeah and Kay is hot while painting. She thought she was going to hang out inside the boat........wrong. With this crappy weather you have to move fast..

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. Are there no child labor laws in AK? Shame. Putting your cute daughter to work on such a menial job. I have a good mind to report you to the authorities...Tsk, tsk.

giphy.gif

Wifey ASD: Mr. RT if we ever meet up, I owe you a drink or two!!

On the prop nuts, doesn't the skinny nut go on first?

Yes it's a common error, ask them what they think....

By the way the boat shines like new [emoji106]

Yes, the small nut goes on first and then the large nut since it will partially unload the first nut installed.

Install Completed

Well the dinghy and davit are installed and ASD is back in the water. Due to the rain, we could get everything done we wanted too, but she is shining nicely.

Guyer Boats out of Ferndale WA did our install. He made first beefed up the swim platform with SS brackets he made on site. He told me that the stern is solid fiberglass with no fillers, above and below the water line, so that made me feel good. He then installed the davit, ran the wiring and the remote switch. The next day we put the dink in the water, measured for the cables and we are good to go.

With the dink in the harness, the davit sucks it in at the bend. When we are going around or in big water we need to add additional SS straps which he will be send me a set (he forgot them).

The Admiral and I took it out yesterday and the lowering and lifting is quite easy and fast. I will be bring a tow strap this year but most likely won't use it.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 74
Well the dinghy and davit are installed and ASD is back in the water. Due to the rain, we could get everything done we wanted too, but she is shining nicely.

Guyer Boats out of Ferndale WA did our install. He made first beefed up the swim platform with SS brackets he made on site. He told me that the stern is solid fiberglass with no fillers, above and below the water line, so that made me feel good. He then installed the davit, ran the wiring and the remote switch. The next day we put the dink in the water, measured for the cables and we are good to go.

With the dink in the harness, the davit sucks it in at the bend. When we are going around or in big water we need to add additional SS straps which he will be send me a set (he forgot them).

The Admiral and I took it out yesterday and the lowering and lifting is quite easy and fast. I will be bring a tow strap this year but most likely won't use it.:thumb:

Tom:
If I recall correctly your dink s around 700 lb on the davits. You will find that weight wants to swing quite a bit in big water, so you will need those extra straps to hold the bow to the corner of ASD opposite the stern of the dinghy and vice versa or to appropriate points on the davits. I have a set of lifeline material that I made up for that purpose, but I now use ropes, as those SS wires were fine only until something else changed, then they no longer fit. Eventually I may again decide no more changes are likely and get another set made up, but the ropes are working out fine for now.
My davits are spaced quite a bit further apart than yours, so the available attaching points are in different places than yours. You will need to experiment until you find the places that work the best.
I don't have a power winch, I use sailboat 2 speed manual winches, but the principle is the same. I think you will really enjoy both your new dinghy and its lift. Well done!

Ok Bud, I pronounce your dink the fishing tender this trip. Now are the Downrigger mounts already set up with Scotty Mounts? And I forgot, how many drink holders did you say this has?
Nice Setup! The Sign on the Dink is gonna be a long one.

Tom:
If I recall correctly your dink s around 700 lb on the davits. You will find that weight wants to swing quite a bit in big water, so you will need those extra straps to hold the bow to the corner of ASD opposite the stern of the dinghy and vice versa or to appropriate points on the davits. I have a set of lifeline material that I made up for that purpose, but I now use ropes, as those SS wires were fine only until something else changed, then they no longer fit. Eventually I may again decide no more changes are likely and get another set made up, but the ropes are working out fine for now.
My davits are spaced quite a bit further apart than yours, so the available attaching points are in different places than yours. You will need to experiment until you find the places that work the best.
I don't have a power winch, I use sailboat 2 speed manual winches, but the principle is the same. I think you will really enjoy both your new dinghy and its lift. Well done!
Yes the more staps the better. The daviit is rated at 1200lbs. I thought it would bring the bow up, but with 550 feet of chain rode up front ASD rides nice.

Ok Bud, I pronounce your dink the fishing tender this trip. Now are the Downrigger mounts already set up with Scotty Mounts? And I forgot, how many drink holders did you say this has?
Nice Setup! The Sign on the Dink is gonna be a long one.
Yes they are scotty, but I have Cannons, so swival mounts coming. I will accept the pronouncement so long as there is a way to keep the beer cold......

Yes they are scotty, but I have Cannons, so swival mounts coming. I will accept the pronouncement so long as there is a way to keep the beer cold......

Beer? Pssftt, were bring flasks and your the designated skipper.

My Scotty has a swivel, now just gotta get some Weights. Any suggestions?:dance:

Copy that. I have two 12lbs already...

You will be surprised how much lead costs...

Nice installation. Steve Guyer does good work.

ASD

Good work all around. Now, where are you going to install the big freezer for all the fish you catch? Fishing gets expensive?

ASD

Good work all around. Now, where are you going to install the big freezer for all the fish you catch? Fishing gets expensive?

Ha! We have a 5cf chest freezer that we will put on the sundeck, if it fits. I could also just dump my fish off with Crusty and let him bag and freeze, but his cost are WAYYYY too much for me.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom