View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
How quickly does the water depth drop in front of your slip? In most areas, soft silt builds up in the slip and after using the slip for a while a slight trench develops that deepens it. The slip where you see my boat in the avatar to the right is at least a foot deeper in the middle.

Or with judicious use of lines tied between the boat and dock you can run your engine up for a few minutes and easily blow the silt out and get another 8" water depth.

I used my boat (just before pulling the prop for tuning) to blast out a 50' trench into my neighbors slip so he could get his sailboat in and out more easily.

David
David,

Water drops from high to low in about 6 hours.

Yes, there's a lot of silt, and can move some of that away. The boat will be docked to the right of the walk way, which gets shallow pretty quick, mostly muck. But running out that channel has a few low spots that are about 2.5 feet at low tide. Fortunately it's all muck, no rocks, so I suppose with a lot of use it would get easier.

Also turning around will be dicey, and impossible at low tide.

The benefit of having the boat close by includes the inconvenience of not getting out sometimes. I've got a few easy back up places where I could dock overnight or for a few days on those times where departing on time could get done.

I'm just guessing that 8" could improve my departure time from 75% to 90%.... and also arrival issues.

So, I'm not rethinking the twins, leaning toward them.