Sunglasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plastic lens sunglasses are almost always scratched within the first year. My glass sunglasses usually wear out before they scratch....kinda like a diesel outlasting a chassis. In fact, I have never had glass sunglasses scratch. My plastic ones always scratch...always!!!. So the coating might be harder....but they still scratch a LOT easier.

Oakley/Costa del Mar/ Serengetti/Corning

PS....I realize you are the professional...but this is just my experience. I am a sunglass whore and still don't wear corrective lenses(yet) at 51....and not cheaters...yet.

Generally, even with high quality non-prescription sunglasses, they don't have a good scratch coating on the lenses. However, prescription lenses can be made with factory hard coats from Essillor or Hoya that are truly amazing.

The Serengetti lenses from Corning are very nice. I used to wear those all the time.

Maybe a reason for cheaper plastic lenses which may distort is that for many, sunnies are a fashion item they don`t expect will last. Whereas we wear them for protection and better vision, and would pay for better lenses.

Do not wear any tinted lenses at night. Period. It is simply not safe, even if it does make you feel better. It makes the headlights more comfortable, but hurts your ability to see anything else that isn't lit. Just don't do it.

As for sunglasses the rest of the time... Yellow lenses are fine for the gray days as Al mentioned. I did some research on the effect of yellow lenses when I was in grad school and they don't help you see better on the gray days. Whether you test visual acuity or contrast sensitivity, there is no evidence they help. OTOH, pilots invariably prefer them and when I flew I wore an amber photochromic lens simply because I liked it despite the research which said it didn't help. The preference is simply psychological, which is fine by me.

For general wear, your best bet is a neutral gray lens. It won't distort color vision and provides the protection that is helpful. Above all, buy lenses that are 100% UV absorptive in both the A and B UV bands and wear them when in the sun. UV exposure hastens cataract formation and increases the risk of macular degeneration. I always tell my patients to protect their eyes from the sun as they do their skin. So wear sunglasses and a hat.

Sunglasses that provide that UV protection don't have to be expensive. It is cheap to make 100% UV lenses and unless you are buying them at a Podunk gas station somewhere, in the US if they are labeled as 100% UV absorptive they likely are.

It is not cheap to make non-prescription (plano) sunglass lenses that are free of optical distortion. This is where often the inexpensive sunglasses fall down. Take the lenses and look at a grid pattern at reading distance while holding the lenses about 8 inches away from your face. Slowly pass the lenses back and forth over the grid and look for any distortion in the grid lines. Most often you may find it near the edges of the lens. High quality lenses will tend to be uniformly good in this respect. Cheap ones will be hit and miss. So if you can examine a few, you should be able to find a pair that are pretty good.

I don't know much, but this is one area that I actually know what I'm talking about for a change.[/QUOTE

As a skier of some skill, I can attest to the fact that yellow lenses worn on an overcast day are essential. Without them or when wearing gray lenses a skier will absolutely not see bumps or depressions in the terrain making skiing at any speed above very slow treacherous. As for boating I'm not sure whether yellow is of any value on an overcast day.

Costa with glass lenses for me. Unlike Wifey B, I don't have a lot of shoes.

Plastic lens sunglasses are almost always scratched within the first year. My glass sunglasses usually wear out before they scratch....kinda like a diesel outlasting a chassis. In fact, I have never had glass sunglasses scratch. My plastic ones always scratch...always!!!. So the coating might be harder....but they still scratch a LOT easier.

Oakley/Costa del Mar/ Serengetti/Corning

PS....I realize you are the professional...but this is just my experience. I am a sunglass whore and still don't wear corrective lenses(yet) at 51....and not cheaters...yet.
I'm with you. Currently liking Smith Optics with polarchromic glass lenses.

I'd hate to add up how much I've spent in sunglasses in the last 30 some years.

As for sunglasses the rest of the time... Yellow lenses are fine for the gray days as Al mentioned. I did some research on the effect of yellow lenses when I was in grad school and they don't help you see better on the gray days. Whether you test visual acuity or contrast sensitivity, there is no evidence they help. OTOH, pilots invariably prefer them and when I flew I wore an amber photochromic lens simply because I liked it despite the research which said it didn't help. The preference is simply psychological, which is fine by me.

As a skier of some skill, I can attest to the fact that yellow lenses worn on an overcast day are essential. Without them or when wearing gray lenses a skier will absolutely not see bumps or depressions in the terrain making skiing at any speed above very slow treacherous. As for boating I'm not sure whether yellow is of any value on an overcast day.

I have had the same experience back when I used to snow ski. The idea is that in conditions with very "flat" light, the amber lens can increase the contrast when viewing the contour of the terrain. This is a little different than the reason shooters and pilots like them because skiers aren't claiming that things are clearer, just that they can see the terrain better.

The best explanation I have seen is that it could be due to the lens blocking the short wavelength (blue) which is so prevalent at altitude and gets reflected and scattered by the snow. This is why "blue blockers" has become an advertising darling. On snow it makes sense however. Reduce the blue light scatter that occurs relatively equally across the terrain then we can pick up the more subtle differences.

Maui Jim's... That is all :)

Had to give up polarized because of the electronic displays on boat and cars. If you have no choice though just tilt your head sideways and the display polarization will match the glasses. [:D]

Had to give up polarized because of the electronic displays on boat and cars. If you have no choice though just tilt your head sideways and the display polarization will match the glasses. [:D]

Same with airplanes. Also, one of my FOs showed up wearing Costas... I asked if I could look through them. Not only were the displays "wonky", but the laminated heating element in the windscreen was clearly visible with them on....to the point of it being very distracting. No clue how the dude justified wearing those things.

I wear Berkley polarized plastic glasses with magnifier readers. About $25. I replace them yearly. I keep the old ones for guests that forgot theirs.
Very important is to have "keeper" lanyard to prevent loss. Cablz are excellent IF you do a minor modification. On the end of the wire there is a small bead to prevent the wire from pulling out. The manufacturing process leaves a short stub that will eventually tear through the grip. Trim that off and it lasts for years.

Costa 580G's for me all day.

I wear Berkley polarized plastic glasses with magnifier readers. About $25. I replace them yearly. I keep the old ones for guests that forgot theirs.
Very important is to have "keeper" lanyard to prevent loss. Cablz are excellent IF you do a minor modification. On the end of the wire there is a small bead to prevent the wire from pulling out. The manufacturing process leaves a short stub that will eventually tear through the grip. Trim that off and it lasts for years.
Another fisherman.....

I had a great paint of Berkley floaters ($19) till I helped a lady after a tow and they got knocked under the inboard outboard engine that neither of us could reach. :facepalm:

Other tows were calling so good thing my spare ($19) was available.....

Working in/out of bilges and around the water all the time...I would be unhappy if I lost good ones....yet I usually dont.

I compare the cheap plastic ones to the Ray Bans I wore for years the USCG offered and other high priced ones....don't see enough of a difference to spend up.

Last edited:
The inventory regularly changes. Check back every week or so. I found Hammerhead, Blackfin and one more DaWife has whose name I do not remember ( the glasses) all of which are very nice.

She just came home...Brine is the name. Better for a smaller person. I ordered for myself thinking I lost Blackfin. Found BF and she commandeered Brine. They are inseparable.

Last edited:
One that no one has mentioned, and this is more for the unique approach to the built-in lanyard; magnetic Clic glasses, which they make both sunnys as well as readers and other options.
I have the readers so far and they're so easy to clic and un-clic in a fraction of a second when you need to take them off. when you un-do them you can simply let them hang on your shoulders... or you can reconnect them to hang around your neck until you need them on again. this is much quicker than having to pull them up and over your head.
clics.JPG

Plus, they're not too expensive....

One that no one has mentioned, and this is more for the unique approach to the built-in lanyard; magnetic Clic glasses, which they make both sunnys as well as readers and other options.
I have the readers so far and they're so easy to clic and un-clic in a fraction of a second when you need to take them off. when you un-do them you can simply let them hang on your shoulders... or you can reconnect them to hang around your neck until you need them on again. this is much quicker than having to pull them up and over your head.
View attachment 63243

Plus, they're not too expensive....

Knowing me I would drop them next to the compass and end up in Kansas.

Another fisherman.....

I had a great paint of Berkley floaters ($19) till I helped a lady after a tow and they got knocked under the inboard outboard engine that neither of us could reach. :facepalm:

Other tows were calling so good thing my spare ($19) was available.....

Working in/out of bilges and around the water all the time...I would be unhappy if I lost good ones....yet I usually dont.

I compare the cheap plastic ones to the Ray Bans I wore for years the USCG offered and other high priced ones....don't see enough of a difference to spend up.

Had a beautiful pair of Costas I won in the JCAA fluke tourny. Since they were not bifocal, they were worthless to me. Gave them away. Cant say how many times my glasses have been torn off my face while fishing only to see them sink away in slow motion. As long as I wash the Berkley lenses with soapy water, they are pretty much scratch free for a year or until lost overboard.

Last edited:
As long as I wash the Berkley lenses with soapy water, they are pretty much scratch free for a year or until lost overboard.

This is a key point. Rinse off the lenses with water, follow up with some soap (most anything will work just fine, dish soap is excellent) then dry with a soft towel.

Either the soap or sweat seems to start disolving the tint around the edges....

Usually by the time it gets bad enough, there are enough scratches and bottom paint on them time for another $19 pair.

Knowing me I would drop them next to the compass and end up in Kansas.

Acheron had a good point and ironically I was on a boat this week with a nice fairly new Ritchie compass right behind the helm steering and I decided to test this theory. I had a pair of these magnetic Clic reading glasses around my neck, I dangled them close to the compass and sure enough if they got within a few inches they did indeed move the needle off course.
Granted if you keep them around your neck you might not ever get them this close but as somewhat of a purist, I guess I'll have to retract my recommendation for this Clic brand of glasses, at least for use at the helm :socool:

Prescriptions?...Zenni optical is quite inexpensive with excellent quality (consumers report best buy)...<$100 for progressive lenses with good quality frames, many choices, Photochromic lenses etc.
Just bought a second pair from them with stainless Aviator frames and photochromic lenses as I'm in and out with my new dock attendant job...$105 shipped

Non? Try Readers.com for a good selection of sport frames with bifocal segments. <$25

Last edited:
Came very close to getting some Costas... but then came across a new option that seem crystal clear and super comfortable; Reflekt Unsinkable.
They have an amber lens option that seems perfect up in the PNW, and several other styles plus of course they float and have a good warranty. :socool:

Bifocal Shades

I've tried many brands of shades with bifocals. At one time, Readers.com had a style that I loved, but they were very cheaply made and only lasted 3-4 months before the frame would break - always in the same spot. So I ordered 6 pairs at a time, but when they quit selling that style, I had to come up with a new plan.

I stumbled across these Stick-on magnifiers that will fasten to any pair of shades:
Stick On Magnifier great for sunglasses welding mask swim goggles sewing fly tie | eBay

These little magnifying lenses are easy and simple to apply, and so far they have held up perfectly, after over a year. I've got them on my Bolle polarized shades and on my non-polarized cheapos. They work great on both, and I just ordered some more of these because I am anticipating a pair of Jackie-Ohh Wayfarers for our upcoming 30th anniversary.

In addition, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but for some reason I can only wear green-tinted sunglass lenses. Every other color distorts my vision. :socool:

Bought a pair of sunglasses at Dunkirk at the beachfront, but they didn't last the day. What did I expect for one euro?

I can afford a good set, but my scratched-up cheapo sunnys are the only thing preserving the illusion that I don't need a paint job!:blush:

Larry

That is perfect. LOL. As I age and my vision goes everything looks better even Watfa!

Bought a pair of sunglasses at Dunkirk at the beachfront, but they didn't last the day. What did I expect for one euro?

My former neighbor, the economist Alonzo Knapp, offered Knapp's First Law: "In the unlikely event that you find a pair of sunglasses you like, someone will soon step on them."

Back
Top Bottom