The Long Way to New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blissboat

Guru
"Facing Gators and Detours, First of New York’s New Ferries Voyages North:"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

So far I have not seen any authoritative info on the web stating what the design draft of these vessels is supposed to be, but from construction photos taken at the Metal Shark yard, it looks like five-feet plus. More worrisome: the lowest point beneath the water appears to be the running gear.

This skipper seems to have had enough of touching bottom with his shiny new boat, and I can't blame him for not wanting to become famous for denting its running gear. However, before opting to go all the way around Key West, I think I would have taken a closer look at the alternative route, cutting across Florida Bay via Yacht Channel.

That explains a lot. We passed them in the Gulf Intracoastal. Only thing is, they were going Westbound (We're Eastbound). We heard them on the radio saying they were a ferry going to NY. What? Do they have a compass?

That explains a lot. We passed them in the Gulf Intracoastal. Only thing is, they were going Westbound (We're Eastbound). We heard them on the radio saying they were a ferry going to NY. What? Do they have a compass?

They had to turn around, and will go around the Keys instead. Got stuck around Moore Haven and decided not to continue.

Greetings,
1-2weeks to NYC from Key West? About 1200 miles as the crow flies so either ~170 miles a day or 85 miles a day IF the weather is agreeable. A bit optimistic I think but it can be done.

The article also mentions the Captain didn't think the vessel could handle much over 3' waves. Prudent decision but very few days outside with less than 3' waves.

Last edited:
They had to turn around, and will go around the Keys instead. Got stuck around Moore Haven and decided not to continue.

Yup, the article explained it. We were scratching our heads at the time!

Greetings,
1-2weeks to NYC from Key West? About 1200 miles as the crow flies so either ~170 miles a day or 85 miles a day IF the weather is agreeable. A bit optimistic I think but it can be done.

It's a fast ferry; catamaran hull and two enormous jets. Presumably when the weather's good they can really fly.

Back
Top Bottom