Name/Quarter Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceania

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
There's been lots of discussion on boat names, etc. but is there any clear guideline or etiquette on whether the boat name or make/manufacture should be on the nav light boards on the port and starboard coach walls?:blush: I plan to get vinyl letters for the boat name and put it somewhere on the hull, but what then should go on the nav light boards? :popcorn:

In Canada, if your boat is federally registered (MOT), then you are required to put the name and port of registry on the transom, and the vessel name must also be placed at the bow, both sides, in 4" tall letters. I don't think it matters if the name is put on the nav. light boards instead, but I could be wrong.

If your boat is just licenced in Ontario, then you can name it what you want, and at the bow, both sides, you must put the ONXXXXXX number.

Thanks SG! I was just wondering what is the custom for nav light boards on trawlers . I have a license number on the bow as required. I thought it would be nice to have the trawler make there , in this case Fu Hwa Oceania or just Oceania. As you can see just fiddlin' and can't wait for launch!

Name Boards

Ooops! When I say 'there', I mean on the nav light boards...:banghead:

Greetings,
Mr. O. IF your vessel is NOT registered, you can put any name any where on the vessel as long as you have the license #'s in the correct place. Be polite now...

I don't even think he has to be particularly polite, ........ does he? :lol:

Greetings,
Mr. SG. Well, He IS Canadian is he not? A group collectively known for their politeness.

If the boat is not CG documented, there are essentially no rules. Almost every trawler-type that I have seen has the name and hailing port on the transom, and the boat name only on the nav light boards. I have never seen anybody add the manufacturer's name anywhere.

So do what you want!

Oldersalt

There's been lots of discussion on boat names, etc. but is there any clear guideline or etiquette on whether the boat name or make/manufacture should be on the nav light boards on the port and starboard coach walls?:blush: I plan to get vinyl letters for the boat name and put it somewhere on the hull, but what then should go on the nav light boards? :popcorn:

The only time I have seen a manufacturer's name displayed as if it was added by the owner was on the boot stripe at the bow of a Beneteau sailboat. Otherwise the mfg name is often displayed on the side of the house, just fwd of the cockpit.

IMHO the name boards should be saved for the boat name.

IMHO the name boards should be saved for the boat name.

I agree, if you start putting the make there, like Oceania, then someone with limited knowledge of boats is going to think that is the name of the boat. Some boats like the old Marine Traders had a large round wooden plaque in the centre of the flybridge skirt, if that's what you call it?

So, Koliver and Oldersalt, what do you have on your port and starboard nav light boards?

I took the stick on manufacture name off my boat......only a handful of people actually care, and they usually recognize the make anyhow.

Most boaters, if they put a name on their boat other than on the transom, it is on the nav light screens.

While one can discuss that nothing but flat black paint should be there, many including me do have their boat name there.

It has been some time since a posting was made to this thread, but it is the only one that fit the message below.
When we registered our new-to-us boat in October 2019, we changed her name. This meant we had to replace the quarter boards. Our new ones arrived yesterday. When looking for a supplier, we found a number in the US, but in Canada, not so much. These were made by Buzz Art, in Kanata, Ontario. The owner, John Phillips, was very professional and extremely easy to deal with. I would certainly recommend him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom