New Prairie Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captbuddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1978 Prairie 29ft.
We purchased our 29 Prairie last summer in the Keys and had it hauled out for the summer. Splashed it in late Nov. and staying on mooring ball in Marathon for the winter. Leaving in a few weeks heading up west coast of Fl to Mexico Beach for the summer. We downsized from a 42' LRC. Sold it a couple years ago thinking we had enough. Started looking about 1 1/2 yrs later. Back in it. Just a lot smaller. Single everything not twins everything.

you're going to love it.

you're going to love it.

I agree with this statement. I have a very special place in my heart for my old "Prairie Dog"...such great "little" boats!!!

Boat number 22

I found what looks like some tape on the forward Bulkhead in the engine room stating my boat is number 22. There is other writing on it that I don't understand. Don't know how to post a pic from my phone. It says "cc 29 Boat #22 c-blkhd lower part. Starb side (23). Can anyone inlighten me on what all that means

What's the HIN? That should give you the hull # and year. Mine has a brass plaque, too.

It says "cc 29 Boat #22 c-blkhd lower part. Starb side (23). Can anyone inlighten me on what all that means

Likely just parts labeling from when it was built..

Is the Hull ID Number visible on starboard upper right side of transom? That has the hull number in it. Is the brass plaque on the boat?

On mine, the number is on the brass plaque but also on a sole beam in the engine compartment.

I just realized where the brass plaque was. It confirmed I have boat no. 22.

I have #40. @Mearns. Is yours the one that was for sale in Roatan?

Yes, from Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Drove it up to Placencia, Belize last week. I am still trying to figure out all its odd (aka new-to-me) equipment. Little by little its making sense. The ex-owners were German, so a bit of language barrier.

The one that totally escapes me thus far is the Weaco refrigerator, it goes into Flashing Yellow Light mode much too quickly (TEC control), suggesting too low of battery level, yet they are at 13 volts or so. Also has a Northern Light 5.5kw (2485 hrs), a noisy beast, but powerful enough to run its AC. Still wondering if should get a Honda (2000is or 3000is) for it and also replace the drop down box refrigerator with something more hip. I suppose such things were the original equipment.

Love the boat! Be using it in Belize's endless protected waters inside the reef.

Last edited:
Is the Fridge 110/12v. Or only 12v? Do you have the manual? I'm looking up that fridge to check the lights

Not knowing which model number it is hard to pinpoint, but on two manuals it refers to 'light turns yellow when internal temperature has reached specified temp'.

Last edited:
Hey cappy. I am getting the impression, boats are like RVs, make sure when buying one, unplug it from 115V and then have the ex-owner show you how it all works. ;)

I believe it is the cf50, strictly 12v. It goes from green to yellow properly, but yellow starts flashing. If generator not running and battery charger not replenishing power. Thank God for the Internet, just read where the slider on it need to be in the middle and the Waeco fuse oftentimes is the problem. I will be putting a hard top to boat replacing the cloth bimini and add solar panels, so that will help all around.

I get the biggest kick out of all the modifications done to it over the years, I am impressed so much has worked after 37 years, considering the radical technological advancements since.

Ive been watching this boat in Rio...wondering how it got there? Did the PO take it by water to Rio? What might be its cruising history?

Just wondering if a Prairie 29 could travel from the USA to central America?

Congrats on your new boat!

The exact first question I had myself from the beginning. It was in Laberne, FL till 2008 and ~told~ driven to Guatemala. Local 'Daring Duo' captains here do the trip all the time bringing in Florida boats of all sizes. Still, it is 350 mile trip from Marquesas to the Yucatan as a crow would fly, but coming close enough to Cuba to wave to Fidel at the time; and then another 400 mile stretch to Rio, Guatemala, after refueling. If so they carried a lot of extra fuel beyond its built-in fuel tanks (70 gallons). All old notes are in German, and was registered in Kiel, Germany. Not knowing for sure, sort of adds a bit of lore to the boat. LoL

Last edited:
Hmm. Can't imagine they went west of Cuba. Against the Gulf Stream the whole way would be a killer for a Prairie. I was thinking they went around east end and via Jamaica and then down wind to Rio.

So how did the boat perform as your "drove" her up to Belize? I assume there is no channel and you had to go out in open water.

Also, are you going to be living aboard her or just short cruises?

I am interested in Prairie 29s (or perhaps a 36) when I begin cruising again; and wondering your thoughts as a new owner.

Thanks.

The Prairie 29 has a very short waterline and such an open passage must have been hard.
I sailed all over the place, several Atlantic crossings but I reserve my little Prairie 29 for protected or semi-protected waters.
Those passages are not impossible, I was on a Prairie 29 that went back and forth to Santo Domingo and the one I bought did the Great loop, that means one 200 NM passage but I am too old for all that rolling and pitching.
The boat can take a lot more than I can.

I am still getting a feel the boat and right now, depending on my course, I prefer not go out with a wave period of less than 7 seconds. 10 is much better.

koko: I got to get with the lingo, I get the impression 'driving' a boat is not often used here. LoL

The run from Livingston to Placencia was uneventful, even crossing 30 miles of somewhat 'open ocean' through the Sea of Honduras. Endless huge patches of grass however. Went east of East Snake Island (lighthouse there) not to navigate through shoals since ran a lot at night. The only bummer about the waters in Belize even inside the barrier reef is that they are oftentimes very short, annoyingly choppy 3-4 second in between them, 4ft waves in just about all the more open passes once the wind kicks up. The mainland is about 23 miles from the main reef in lower Belize, unlike the north. Running 1/4 off head on facing into the waves was just fine, with the Prairie.

I been running a 25 'Guatemalan' Panga in these waters for 6 years, we usually always run sideways to such waves (prevailing NE) when very windy and then climb up to another set of islands leeward and then do the next pass the same fashion. Found this whole tricky exercise not necessary with a Prairie 29.

Just took a 2-day 'maiden voyage' towing the 25ft Panga just in case, considering first time, and it towed perfectly behind it, little difference in fuel consumption; just experimenting.

Nothing like a new experience.

jacquesm: What number is yours?

Last edited:
Mine is #4, I think. That is from the HIN.

welcome and ours is hull 50

SailorMike, good to see you here. Your blog, the youtube videos of Mischief and a visit to Sortie's boat is why we decided on the Prairie 29. Thank you all.

I looked at your web site but did not see anything about the dinghy.
Is that a West Marine Watertender? On Weaver hinges?
Right now, I tow a row boat that I had in my backyard but I want a dinghy on the swim platform.

I've been on the lookout for one of those trihull dinks to find at a yard sale or on the side of the road for a cheap shore tender. We use a 9' WM wood bottom inflatable as our drag along, or sideways on the swim platform. The outboard is hung on a bracket on transom.

SailorMike, good to see you here. Your blog, the youtube videos of Mischief and a visit to Sortie's boat is why we decided on the Prairie 29. Thank you all.

I looked at your web site but did not see anything about the dinghy.
Is that a West Marine Watertender? On Weaver hinges?
Right now, I tow a row boat that I had in my backyard but I want a dinghy on the swim platform.

Our Dingy is a custom made Fiberglass and teak dingy on custom made ss bracket that hinge and lock onto the swim platform. Inside the dingy is a 6hp Honda outboard on a mount that becomes the seat when the dingy is in the water. Also there are two oars and oarlocks that can be used to row the boat and a collapsable teak tray that the fuel tank is sitting on. I just reshot it with awl grip and re lettered it myself

I am afraid that ideal dinghy is going to be one of my designs built in foam sandwich. I am certain I can build a 9 to 10' one and get below 65: Divynicell, epoxy, biax but I don't want to build another boat.
I may go for an inflatable.
In the mean time, I tow a small boat.

Agree with the lightweight part. If I leave the wood floors out of my inflatable it's 80 lbs. with is 108 lbs.

I am on a mooring. My shore dinghy is routinely stepped on, sat on, and laid on. I can't leave a 'nice' dinghy on shore while I'm gone. Thus the tough beater dinghy and another nice one on the swim platform for use on trips.

I have to laminate a new cockpit shade. Going to incorporate dinghy Davits in overhead as well. Then I can use the swim platform to get aboard easier

Congrats on your Prairie purchase. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom