V-Kool vs Huper Optic Ceramic Window tint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea_athena

Hello,

I am new to the Trawler Forum and this is my first post. We will be taking delivery of our new North Pacific 45 later this year.

As we live and do most of our boating in the Sunshine State, we will be tinting our windows. Up until now I've only heard of v-Kool. When doing some research for companies who install I came across an article about Huper Optik Ceramic tint as being superior to v-Kool.

Has anyone had experience with either (or both) of these? Would like some honest feedback about how it holds up and overall value. Also, recommendations for good installers, please.

I am not familiar with either of those names. I had the top of the line 3M tint film installed on my boat a year or so ago. It's supposed to let almost all the visible light pass while rejecting heat. It's clear enough that I had it put on the front windows and it doesn't block vision even at night. It seems to work but I don't have any scientific data. It was pretty expensive.

The other side of the story:
3M only sells it to "authorized" dealers. You can't just buy a roll and install it yourself and "Bubba's window tint" can't get ahold of it. I called the local authorized dealer and two guys showed up and installed it. So far, so good.

After a few weeks, a crack appeared in one of my windows. I called and the guy came out and said if I got the window replaced he would apply the film for free.

I went to a glass shop and they cut me a new window and I installed it. I kept calling the guy back but got no answer or return call.

Finally, I called the shop's other number, only to find that the original guy not only didn't work there anymore, but had been going out tinting windows and keeping the money. He had been fired.

Two different guys came out and installed film on the new window and asked for $125. I told them that the other guy said it would be free. They called the boss and I told him what the first guy said. He told me the whole story and agreed that I wouldn't have to pay the additional money.

This is more or less the end of the story except that I don't have an official receipt and the ten year warranty for the film.

As for the crack - It seems laminated safety glass is not a good candidate for window film. Something about the heat buildup and the layers. I haven't had any more problems though.

Since you are getting a new boat, have you considered having it installed at the factory or asking the builder for recommendations?

Since you are getting a new boat, have you considered having it installed at the factory or asking the builder for recommendations?

Donsan,

Yes we will ask our builder. We want to understand pros and cons of offerings as the builder will build to suit us. Thanks.

V cool has worked well on our boat for 8 years but I'm going to replace it with the new nano ceramic film from huper optik.

I had Vcool applied when the boat was new and it keep the temperature down, the installer was in Ft. Lauderdale. I would use the same product again.

Back
Top Bottom