View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
tadhana
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We have had the same problem. By the time we were aware of the problem, the SS fasteners in the SS roller carrier were severely corroded into the aluminum door structure. I found that with liberal application of CRC656 and a small screw driver used to pry the wheel, I could force the wheel to turn and eventually it will loosen up. (NOTE, when you use a small screwdriver to force the wheel to turn, do not pry in the center of the wheel but along the edges of the wheel. If you damage the weight bearing center of the wheel of the wheel it will create a flat spot and might cause the wheel to stop rolling) Then I apply synthetic motor oil drop by drop onto the wheel and work it into the axle. (synthetic oil seems to work better and last longer than standard motor oil. ) The wheel can be made to spin freely. Now I find I have to service the wheels about once a year. As soon as the door starts to get a bit stiff, off it comes. And as you know, when you reinstall the door you do not use an adhesive on the top cover. This is the one and only place where I would recommend silicone sealant, and don't use very much. Just enough to keep rain out.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote