Shower Head Idea - Strong but saves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, we don't call it that in the USA.

Why would we need an additional device at the showerhead? As I pointed out, it should be at the end of the hose that attaches to the water supply, not the showerhead or "wand", but the reason for it is, in most cases, turning the water off at the "tap" as you call it means you will have to readjust the temperature when you turn it back on. Often there are two handles, one for hot and another for cold. Other times, there's a lever that adjusts from hot to cold but still has to be returned past cold to stop the water flow.

Perhaps it's different in your country.

That's why I really like the temperature controlled mixing valve that I posted earlier. You can turn it up, down or off while maintaining temperature. They are more popular in Europe I think.

Richard

It's OK with me....generally Aussies can take every bit they hand out....

I am sorry that so much of the US has lost their spine and sense of humor in one generation.

That's why I really like the temperature controlled mixing valve that I posted earlier. You can turn it up, down or off while maintaining temperature. They are more popular in Europe I think.

Richard

Richard I really like that idea. I am going to have to look to see how easy it would be to install one on my boat.

Just to recap so everyone is on the same page. Sometimes basic reading comprehension seems to be a struggle.

Not everyone has, or wants to have, a watermaker.

Some of those folks without watermakers find they need to conserve water while on a cruise.

Stopping and starting the flow of water during a shower is a good way of conserving water.

Doing this at the tap/ mixer/faucet can result in unpleasant variations in water temperature, from scalding to cold.

Having a push button shut off at the shower head solves many of the above problems.

See, not all that complicated. [emoji6]

Richard I really like that idea. I am going to have to look to see how easy it would be to install one on my boat.

Just to recap so everyone is on the same page. Sometimes basic reading comprehension seems to be a struggle.

Not everyone has, or wants to have, a watermaker.

Some of those folks without watermakers find they need to conserve water while on a cruise.

Stopping and starting the flow of water during a shower is a good way of conserving water.

Doing this at the tap/ mixer/faucet can result in unpleasant variations in water temperature, from scalding to cold.

Having a push button shut off at the shower head solves many of the above problems.

See, not all that complicated.

I was just about to think that.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
On our last boat with limited water we used this.

046697d2-2af6-4edb-947a-bb28ce673600.jpg

Fill with water at correct temp, pump up and pull the trigger.
Water stops when finger is off trigger
2 showers possible on 5L/1.3 gal
Cost's a tenner.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aqua-systems-5l-garden-pressure-sprayer-kit_p2960992

I can`t tell you how difficult this is. If I want to turn off the shower, briefly or at the conclusion of showering, I have to operate the wall/bulkhead mounted mixer tap, which can be as much as 2ft away, because,woe is me, we lack a second "tap" control on the shower head itself. Worse still, if I have the shower head in it`s bracket, mimicking a fixed shower, I have to reach out, perhaps even more than 2 feet, to operate the Mixer "tap". Our shower compartment being separate from the head and larger than usual,sometimes I have to move my feet to access the "tap", depending where I was facing.

There are shower training experts to help.

You may find some too distracting to actually teach you techniques...and in some areas the passing of money can get you in trouble...

But instruction is available if you so desire... :)

Reminds me of the troubles with my under-utilized water maker and prepping the pickle.

Prepping the pickle? In the shower? Is that what they're calling it now? I have to keep up with these new sayings...

Seriously, I do like the idea of a shower control which allows you to turn it off without changing the temperature.

One problem I see would be if it's a pressure-balancing fixture. I think the plumbing code requires these, too. Or maybe they've just become more common. On a boat, you'd need to balance the temperature more than the pressure. The hot water temp can change over the course of your shower, even if the pressure doesn't.

...I do like the idea of a shower control which allows you to turn it off without changing the temperature.
Our all in one tap/mixer control pushes up for off, down to increase volume, and rotates right and left to vary temperature. I think it is original to the 1981 build.
But, I have to extend an arm to adjust it.

"I have to operate the wall/bulkhead mounted mixer tap, which can be as much as 2ft away, because,woe is me, we lack a second "tap" control on the shower head itself."

I feel like David Attenborough should narrate your life's struggles on a National Geographic special.

One problem I see would be if it's a pressure-balancing fixture. I think the plumbing code requires these, too. Or maybe they've just become more common. On a boat, you'd need to balance the temperature more than the pressure. The hot water temp can change over the course of your shower, even if the pressure doesn't.

Mine must be temperature balanced. I had it set for normal electric heated water - then used it after running the engine (hot water was much hotter). The temp was still pretty much the same. That's a great safety feature to me.

Richard

Feel sorry for us poor Australians we jump overboard and wash down with fresh on the duck board its called boating :D

I was in a marina one time and the shower valves had digital readouts showing the temperature of the water. I don't wear my glasses when taking a shower so I couldn't read them. That's an example of a good idea with a poor implementation.

I have a 10 gal water heater set to highest setting. Plenty of water for a couple of hot showers when mixed with cold. Does a good job on dishes too.

Feel sorry for us poor Australians we jump overboard and wash down with fresh on the duck board its called boating :D

You must have been a sailboater in a previous life. We call that camping. :D :hide:

Thermostatic control shower

On Spartan we installed a Hans Grohe Thermostatic valve with volume control/shut off valve. This has temp adjustment and separate valve on wall mounted trim.
Mounted on the bulkhead separating shower from head, the hand held with hose is long enough for hair washing in head and showering and cleanup in shower stall. Since it's a 36', 1963 build, one end of the head to the shower is only about 5-1/2'. No issues reaching the valve from anyplace water is being used.
40 liter hot water heater with tempering valve and great insulation should give all the shower we need at dock or out.

Attachments

• IMG_20161201_195603.jpg
    IMG_20161201_195603.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20161118_173147.jpg
    IMG_20161118_173147.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 54
I have always used kitchen sink sprayers, basic type but fancy ones are available. Spring loaded trigger, easy to use, saves water, and when hooked up to a tempering valve, dispenses water at a set temperature every time.

On our last boat with limited water we used this.

046697d2-2af6-4edb-947a-bb28ce673600.jpg

Fill with water at correct temp, pump up and pull the trigger.
Water stops when finger is off trigger
2 showers possible on 5L/1.3 gal
Cost's a tenner.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aqua-systems-5l-garden-pressure-sprayer-kit_p2960992
You could even add insect repellent for the flies!
Seriously gaston, I bet your new IG32 has plenty of water tankage. Mine has 1000L.
The auto temp mixer has a lot to recommend it. An alzheimers patient had her butt literally almost boiled in an excessively hot bath in a nursing home. Cost the home plenty, her wealthy relatives donated the $ to charity. Off topic, but the burn wounds were eventually healed in another nursing home using honey, after all else failed.

Back
Top Bottom