Getting there from Lk Kentucky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunvale1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Out Of The Blue
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
Anyone out there that could give me an idea what's involved in taking a 36 trawler from the Kentucky Dam to Chicago/Great Lakes. I have a lot of sailing behind me, but am quite new to the trawler world. Am looking for a nice 36 and want to be sure that I can bring her home to Grand Haven, MI.

Peter

My post must have been in Cyber Space for a bit.

I was trying to get this information back when I was looking at a boat in Lake Kentucky. But I have sincve found a boat in Lake Michigan and only have to take it back over the lake to Michigan from Illinois.

Thanks

Peter

Glad your problem is resolved.

I too am going from sail to trawler. We are thinking of going from Mobile Bay, Al to Ky. Lake. Not a problem up the Tenn-Tom. I think, however, there is a big problem going up the Mississippi - like very strong current at times.
Maybe someone from that area can chime in.

Tony - Cairo to St. Louis is the tricky part. The currents can be prohibitive at times when the Mississippi is in flood stage. As a lot of places, timing is everything. Shoot Capt Craig a PM. He made the trip last year. Search for some of his posts. I believe he documented the trip on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom