New Member/Owner of A Deer Island Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No-regrets

Hello Fellow Trawlers,

I decided to take the plunge when my kids moved out and left me a empty nester and buy a Trawler and a all wooden boat. This boat is in Texas and seems to catch the wind real easy. I am a novice to anything over 19 feet and this Trawler is double that. is a 1976 Deer Island Trawler and I just moved into it and started to scrap, sand, paint, or stain , and clear coat depending on what service I am working with. I picked her over a plank boat so I do not have to worry about stuffing the planks regularly. There is much history with this boat as well. I was told Admiral Greer owned her at one time. That he took it around the islands? I am amazed a single screw trawler can traverse to the islands. If that's true maybe after I master her I may try that one day?

I have only owner her for a month and decided on a name and a personal name for her. There is so much to her I am trying to comprehend. I am brand new to diesel engine as well so there is so much to learn. I do not have any pictures atm but will post some of her soon.

I'm amazed of all the books, maps, information that came with this boat and learn more everyday. I was told that you could even put back on the mast that came with this boat for some type of small sail? I am not sure what that does or for though?

Anyway I am a novice like I said any help or knowledge is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new boat. Please post some pictures.

Ted

DsharkgSZbYnzWvA6

Looks to be in good shape for a 40 year old boat.

Ted

Cool, Nice boat

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the all wooden boats... She has great lines...

I can see why you bought her..:thumb::thumb:

Welcome.

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the all wooden boats... She has great lines...

I can see why you bought her..:thumb::thumb:

Welcome.

Thank you.

I want to learn off of her and master her, then hopefully take her down to the coast. I was thinking of joining the USCG AUX here at our lake to learn more as well.

I was told this is a blue water boat, so does that mean coastal?

I don"t think this will be my last Trawler, but I do want to learn what I do like and do not like and later get another Trawler.

Back
Top Bottom