Can you Believe I Finally Bought a Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I still can't either :angel:

1987 Bayliner 3870 With Hino 175's. In fact, this is the same boat I went to survey on back in May 2016 then walked because of some damage. Owner repaired it, accepted the same offer as back then, went to survey and. . .it was really hard to talk myself out of buying the boat so I did :thumb:

Surveyor came back to me and said she was a solid old boat, in good condition for 30 years old. She's no spring chicken, but everything works and lots of newer bits! Engines are showing some age, but start and run up to speed without overheating. For living aboard and lower Chesapeake Bay cruising and fishing, it was hard to say no :smitten:

It's interesting (and a little scary) to read back over some of my older, maybe lunacy tinged, posts and see what I ended up buying vs. all the boats I thought would end my search and the different chains of thought I ventured down. . .a mad mans inner thoughts, exposed for the world to experience!

Or not. . .here's some pics!

Attachments

• P3120014.jpg
    P3120014.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 116
  • P3120015-s.jpg
    P3120015-s.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 116
  • P3120017.jpg
    P3120017.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 114
  • P3120018.jpg
    P3120018.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P3120001.jpg
    P3120001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 129
  • P3120002.jpg
    P3120002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 131
  • P3120003.jpg
    P3120003.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 124
  • P3120004.jpg
    P3120004.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P3120005.jpg
    P3120005.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 103
  • P3120010.jpg
    P3120010.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 111
Congratulations. Ideas refine over time, every boat you see adds some knowledge, the more you learn the more your ideas can develop.
How come you returned to that boat? A broker doing his job?
Is the name "Second Chance" yours, or was it already called that? Very appropriate, either way.

It's a process and you went through it all. The only other option is not to go through the process and that often leads to mistakes.

Hey congrats! Nice boat!!!

I've always liked the Bayliner xx88 and xx70 series boats. Well built and a helluva lot of boat for what you pay for them. I chartered a 4588 for 10 days in the San Juans and loved the boat. Have fun with her.

Congratulations on the new boat! Time to change the avatar pic. Was beginning to think you were a blow boater. :rolleyes:

Ted

Nice boat and that marque has been a tempting choice for me, too. Your path to purchase makes Second Chance aptly named! Congrats!

Looks very nice. I always liked the lines of the 38 and 45 Bayliners.

Congratulations. Nice boat with a great layout .

Congratulations. Ideas refine over time, every boat you see adds some knowledge, the more you learn the more your ideas can develop.
How come you returned to that boat? A broker doing his job?
Is the name "Second Chance" yours, or was it already called that? Very appropriate, either way.

Thanks for the congrats all! I plan to make the slow delivery run back home April 1st. Got quite a few people volunteering to be human fenders for the trip. Looking to be about a 10 hour trip @ 8 knots down the James river :D

No broker involved, this was a craigslist boat. It was the only boat I felt would be worth buying the first time around. After I backed out, I drifted down the road of looking at abandoned boats and dug a few leads up out of the local marinas. That was distressing! Back to the drawing board, and a long period of nothing online I happened upon his ad again. I contacted him on a whim, he took me for a ride, and now repaired it was even better than before!

The name Second Chance is an appropriate name, but I will be rechristening her as "Cool Beans" which is more appropriate for me :socool: Because, well. . .it's cool beans!

Be aware that there is another sleek and speedy vessel here, a KK Manatee also named Cool Beans.

Congratulations on your new Bayliner!

The 38' Bayliner and the Hino engine have a strong following for good reason! Great combination!

Id you have not already done so, you might want to consider also joing the Bayliner Owners Club. The BOC is a great resource for Bayliner specific information, not easy to find elsewhere. There are several of us that frequent both sites.

I still can't either :angel:

1987 Bayliner 3870 With Hino 175's. In fact, this is the same boat I went to survey on back in May 2016 then walked because of some damage. Owner repaired it, accepted the same offer as back then, went to survey and. . .it was really hard to talk myself out of buying the boat so I did :thumb:

Surveyor came back to me and said she was a solid old boat, in good condition for 30 years old. She's no spring chicken, but everything works and lots of newer bits! Engines are showing some age, but start and run up to speed without overheating. For living aboard and lower Chesapeake Bay cruising and fishing, it was hard to say no :smitten:

About time!

:)

Looks like a nice boat. Looks/sounds like it should suit you, from what I remember of your earlier threads.

What was the damage that the owner repaired?

-Chris

Congratulation for your new boat! Look nice and clean!

Congratulations on the new boat. As Kevin said the BOC is a wealth of knowledge on Hino and Bayliner specific info.

John

Great news. Dont change the name , its perfect!

About time!

:)

Looks like a nice boat. Looks/sounds like it should suit you, from what I remember of your earlier threads.

What was the damage that the owner repaired?

-Chris

Hehe!

When the boat was hauled two engine mounts were discovered broken along with a bent strut and bent props. How I, the surveyor, and engine surveyor didn't notice anything before it was hauled is nuts. Ride was smooth, just slower than expected. He eventually fixed it all along with some other items pointed out by the surveyor and myself. Actually made out better this time!

The name has already been filed to change to "Cool Beans" :ermm: If "Second Chance" was a bit more unique, I would have kept it. But there are a LOT of Second Chances out there. . .and it is a "boat name", and I hate boat names. "Second Chance", "Sea-duction", "Reel Anything", "Sundowner", "Plan B", etc. . . :facepalm:

I almost named the boat "Monkey Sandwich" :lol:

Congratulations on finding "your" boat, I really like the way it’s laid out. Like everyone else I love the name. Too many times in my search for “the” boat I see some really lame names that people have given their boats and I wonder about the tale I heard that its bad luck to change a name. I’m new to the forum and in fact this is my first post. I’m still a long way off from getting mine. I’m a disabled vet living on a fixed income from the VA and social security. But I’m debt free and my VA money goes directly into my savings. So right now, I’m trying to figure out the cost and how much I’ll need to either buy one or finance a boat. If you don’t mind mine me asking can you tell me how much you paid for your second chance? Also, do you know what your monthly costs are going to be? I’m sure there are a lot of others who have asked the same question, I’m still searching the forum for information. I’m really happy for you and envious as well.

Congratulations on finding "your" boat, I really like the way it’s laid out. Like everyone else I love the name. Too many times in my search for “the” boat I see some really lame names that people have given their boats and I wonder about the tale I heard that its bad luck to change a name. I’m new to the forum and in fact this is my first post. I’m still a long way off from getting mine. I’m a disabled vet living on a fixed income from the VA and social security. But I’m debt free and my VA money goes directly into my savings. So right now, I’m trying to figure out the cost and how much I’ll need to either buy one or finance a boat. If you don’t mind mine me asking can you tell me how much you paid for your second chance? Also, do you know what your monthly costs are going to be? I’m sure there are a lot of others who have asked the same question, I’m still searching the forum for information. I’m really happy for you and envious as well.

What I payed for the boat. . .I have it mentioned on one site but not sure if I want to start throwing it out there on every forum. Maybe PM me? Estimate it needs a good $10k in fixes and differed maintenance and some planned upgrades (as long as the manicoolers aren't rotten, but that's still within budget). Just brought the boat home on Sunday and she performed flawlessly for the ~8 hour run down the James River.

Only fixed monthly expenses I have would be slip and insurance. Electricity varies per month and by how much I use. I think most if not all boat related expenses would be "per foot" and need to be figured from the rates of the area you plan to keep it.

I plan to have a renaming party at some point and will make a wine offering to Poseidon in ritualistic fashion :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom