Bahamas in the summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
So I'm trying to get myself (and my boat!) over to the Bahamas in June. My lovely wife asked, "Why don't we just leave the boat there all summer! We can fly back and use it like a condo when we want to!" So I thought that sounded like an excellent idea, then remembered hurricanes, and thought about theft.

Is there a "safe place" to leave the boat on a mooring or a marina? I can't imagine anywhere in the Bahamas would be safe during a direct hit hurricane, but maybe I'm wrong. I would also have to change my insurance coverage I realize.

What about theft on a boat left on a mooring or marina? I'm thinking mostly dingy and outboard I guess.

I know many here have cruised the Bahamas (and Caribbean) extensively.

Their are plenty of places I'd leave my boat in the Bahamas, I guess my list would be Hopetown, Man O War, Guana, Green Turtle, Highbourne, and Staniel. There's some i probably missed too.

Great Harbor Cay marina in the Berry's is another fairly secure place in big blows.

You can do it. There are several spots in the Abacos and Georgetown in the Exumas have ok/good hurricane protection. Marsh Harbour and Georgetown both have secure marinas and good flight connections. Get ready to pay for power to run your AC though. We've seen anywhere from 45-75 cents/Kwhr.

What was a surprise to me, I talked to the harbor master in Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, a great hurricane hole with good flight connections, he said they are 100% booked for the month of July. Fishing season heats up and Chub Cay got hit by Hurricane Matthew. Also, summer is high season for Bimini. Rates go up June 1.

I guess that makes sense with Chub out of action. I didn't think about that.

Their are plenty of places I'd leave my boat in the Bahamas, I guess my list would be Hopetown, Man O War, Guana, Green Turtle, Highbourne, and Staniel. There's some i probably missed too.

I've been in Black Sound on GTC, and Hopetown as well. Not the others.

Would you leave your boat on a mooring or at a marina?

You can do it. There are several spots in the Abacos and Georgetown in the Exumas have ok/good hurricane protection. Marsh Harbour and Georgetown both have secure marinas and good flight connections. Get ready to pay for power to run your AC though. We've seen anywhere from 45-75 cents/Kwhr.

What was a surprise to me, I talked to the harbor master in Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, a great hurricane hole with good flight connections, he said they are 100% booked for the month of July. Fishing season heats up and Chub Cay got hit by Hurricane Matthew. Also, summer is high season for Bimini. Rates go up June 1.

Thanks!

About the power, do you mean run the AC when gone for humidity control? I envision flying over an cruising for a week or two then leaving again.

I've been to Marsh Harbor but can't remember the marinas. Anchored there once.

So would you actually leave YOUR boat in the Bahamas during hurricane season? What would you do if it looked like one was coming that way? Fly over and try to get back to FL? Fly over and make sure lines were Ok? Stay home and pray?

I need to get a new ins quote and check marina prices. That might change my mind. [emoji30]

We went to the Abacos last April and left the boat there through the middle part of June, traveling back and forth as often as we could. We left the boat at Marsh Harbor Marina, (The Jib Room), when we were gone. It was easy access from the airport, the staff was great and absolutely no security concerns. We're considering doing it again this year.

I can't even imagine leaving our boat on a mooring that far away.

We went to the Abacos last April and left the boat there through the middle part of June, traveling back and forth as often as we could. We left the boat at Marsh Harbor Marina, (The Jib Room), when we were gone. It was easy access from the airport, the staff was great and absolutely no security concerns. We're considering doing it again this year.

I can't even imagine leaving our boat on a mooring that far away.

Ahh thanks. I remember the Jib Room now.

I would be wary of leaving the boat on a mooring as well. Unless I knew someone there who would check on it.

Thanks!

About the power, do you mean run the AC when gone for humidity control? I envision flying over an cruising for a week or two then leaving again.

I've been to Marsh Harbor but can't remember the marinas. Anchored there once.

So would you actually leave YOUR boat in the Bahamas during hurricane season? What would you do if it looked like one was coming that way? Fly over and try to get back to FL? Fly over and make sure lines were Ok? Stay home and pray?

I need to get a new ins quote and check marina prices. That might change my mind. [emoji30]

I personally wouldn't leave Hobo in the Bahamas since she's our only home. :)

I think you'd have a great trip getting your boat there in the early summer when the crusing/fishing is great. Don't forget about getting your boat home though. Hurricane season ends ~Nov 1.

It can be done but I would definitely call your insurance agent first to see what he recommends. You may be better off keeping the boat in ftl behind some ones house and crossing when you have time.

It can be done but I would definitely call your insurance agent first to see what he recommends. You may be better off keeping the boat in ftl behind some ones house and crossing when you have time.

True. Got a slip behind a house I can use? [emoji51]

Mine are in Miami. One is rented, the other will be available but it's complicated.

I've been in Black Sound on GTC, and Hopetown as well. Not the others.

Would you leave your boat on a mooring or at a marina?

If it were me, I like the safety a dock offers.

From a hurricane standpoint I would be more inclined to bring the boat back in the beginning of August, now I know the season starts earlier, but traditionally we see hurricanes in that area around the end of August to October.

From a theft standpoint if you had a go fast center console with big twins that would worry me, but I would bring inside the dink motor for safe keeping.

Another option is to have your boat say in Fort Lauderdale (or any area around there) and make the trip over and use for 2-3 weeks. Just thoughts as these are good problems to have!!

Yeah. If I could find a reasonable place to leave it in Miami or FLL that might be better.

I need to find someone with a slip behind their house they want to donate to a poor boat owner. [emoji41]

I personally wouldn't leave Hobo in the Bahamas since she's our only home. :)

I think you'd have a great trip getting your boat there in the early summer when the crusing/fishing is great. Don't forget about getting your boat home though. Hurricane season ends ~Nov 1.

That would be Dec. 1

Yeah. If I could find a reasonable place to leave it in Miami or FLL that might be better.

I need to find someone with a slip behind their house they want to donate to a poor boat owner. [emoji41]

How much are you willing to pay per month?

I know a place in FLL that if they have space the dockage is reasonable and tax deductible. ?

I don't even know what the going rate is. I pay $400 month here in Tx. Im sure it's higher than that on that side of FL. [emoji51]

Last edited:
I don't even know what the going rate is. I pay $400 month here in Tx. Im sure it's higher than that on that side of FL. [emoji51]

Where I'm talking about it's $17/foot/month plus electric.

Which is a good rate in FLL. This is up the New River minutes from downtown FLL.

And I just checked. There is 90' of dock space available at this moment.

Last edited:
Where I'm talking about it's $17/foot/month plus electric.

Which is a good rate in FLL. This is up the New River minutes from downtown FLL.

And I just checked. There is 90' of dock space available at this moment.

That's pretty good and you're only a day from crystal blue water! :dance:

There are some canals on Treasure Cay that was part of a resort that never happened. The moorings used to use these as hurricane holes . There might be an opportunity there .

If anyone knows how to hide boats from a big storm it would be the Moorings.

"True. Got a slip behind a house I can use?"

Either FL coast is just as dangerous as the Bahamas IF a hurricane swings by.

Inland in a hurricane hole is preferred , but inland at trawler speeds means at least 1 day from the West coast and 2 days from the East coast.

Then the trip time to the Bahamas would need to be added.

Hurricane hole

FF,
You're right when you talk about the East coast of Florida and hurricanes, however, for all the time we've lived on the West coast of Florida, almost 20 years, we only had one direct hit, Charley in 2004. It was the first hurricane to hit the West coast of Florida in about 50 years. What we usually get are high tides, some wind, and minor flooding, but in our little canal city, Punta Gorda, the canals are closed to boat traffic 24 hours prior to a storm, and our boats can be tied up in the center of the canals. It seems to be a very effective 'Hurricane hole'.

Now the Panhandle is a totally different story. Most people don't know this fact, but there's a Hurricane Magnet buried deep below the sandy beaches that draws hurricanes directly to the Panhandle!

Jim on M/V Encore

If anyone knows how to hide boats from a big storm it would be the Moorings.

Part of the Caribbean fleet of the Moorings, Paraquita Bay, BVI, September 2015. Credit to Latitude 38.

2015-09-01_6269_Parquita%20Bay,%20Tortola.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom