Twins? Should I be intimidated by twin engines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acheron2010

Vessel Name
Saoirse
Vessel Make
1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
As I shop for a boat, some of the Grand Banks models have single, and some have dual engines.
I've never owned or operated a twin engine boat - my initial impression it is just twice the maintenance, upkeep and cost. But, mebbe redundancy is good.
What are the pros and cons of twin engines? Would you recommend twins, and why?
Thanks.

They make operating insanely easy over a single with no thruster.

They give you more options for relatively modest increases in operating costs.

They have given you cause to start up one of the great debates of boating....that has lots of opinions and a whole lot less absolutes.:eek:

Twice the weight twice the fuel twice the service cost twice the repairs twice the noise twice the shaft seals twice the gearboxes twice the props twice the rudders 1/2 the area to work on and they get you to the same destination as a single at 8 knots

I would mildly disagree with some and strongly disagree with other statements made above...not everything is double, or even close to double.

Some things change depending on your work and wishes.

I am sure you will get a lot of input on both sides of this fence, but most will agree not everything is double.

giphy.gif

Bring the matches, I will bring the gas....

Your topic is right in there with national politics, guns, and brands of scotch whiskey in terms of highly- pitched opinions. I'm with psneeld....I like having two engines downstairs. I just like that warm fuzzy feeling that I've got an ace in the hole if I need it, and I'm willing to pay the price tag for it. For me, it's really that simple, although the handling in close quarters with twins is also nice. There are lots of happy single-engine owners at this site who I'm sure will give you their $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to the discussion we should think about triple Volvos so when 2 go down you at least have one left .

ok, Ill play. If your boating is open ocean, ie PNW, going up to Alaska.... then twins for safety are a good call and worth the extra expense. But if you boat on inland waterways, do the loop, stay within towing insurance range, then one engine is all you need. Granted two engines do make for easier handling, but a bow thruster is a whole lot cheaper to maintain than a second engine. Fire away all :)

I suggest you do a search using the search function, because as others have alluded to it, there has already been MUCH discussion on here re this very subject. :D

Here's my take on it. I have a planing hull with twin Cummins eng's. While I can go fast with it (saw 23 kts on GPS at WOT) I don't plan to use it like that very often. Most of my travel will be cruising at 7 or 8 knots and I won't need both engines to get to where I want to go so will be running on one engine to get there, the other to get back but have the option to use both when I want. Hopefully the new autopilot (still in the box soon to be installed) won't have any problem keeping the boat on course with the boat wanting to pull to one side. Maneuvering in tight quarters way easier with twins (unless you have a bow thruster).

We aren't forced to own a boat. I do it for pleasure. I think it would be a blast to have four engines.

ok, Ill play. If your boating is open ocean, ie PNW, going up to Alaska.... then twins for safety are a good call and worth the extra expense. But if you boat on inland waterways, do the loop, stay within towing insurance range, then one engine is all you need. Granted two engines do make for easier handling, but a bow thruster is a whole lot cheaper to maintain than a second engine. Fire away all :)

I don't know why anyone would want to fire away at that, since it is pretty much true. But a lot of us buy used boats, for reasons of economics, and you pretty much take what comes with it, be it twins or a single. I doubt many sellers would be willing to remove one engine, just to close the deal, or to install a second engine. :)

Ya the real question is which anchor should you use if you have twins vs single.

That one is easy. If you have twins, you use a Danforth and a Fortress. If you have a single, you use a Danforth.

And no, as a moderator, I am not going to debate. :)

Last edited:
Not mine, but.....

How about full displacement with keel, skeg and rudder with
pintle bearing on the skeg?:thumb::thumb:
Add twin engines, run either or both together.:thumb:
The prop is between the deadwood and the rudder.( I have seen
pictures with shafts "in the open":nonono:)
Think the draft is too much for the loop.:eek:

Ted

Twice the weight twice the fuel twice the service cost twice the repairs twice the noise twice the shaft seals twice the gearboxes twice the props twice the rudders 1/2 the area to work on and they get you to the same destination as a single at 8 knots

:facepalm:

Anything over about 23' long all the way to 1000' long SE boats need so much help docking. They scare me. [emoji41]. Sometimes seen with one or two sticks out the top.

But you can go MORE than twice as fast as a single if ONE engine fails.

I only have one engine.

Oh crap.
Sorry. I'll go right over to a gun forum and ask 9mm versus .45, ok?

Did not mean a Hatfield-McCoy thing. I've been taught handling skills on a single prop, so just don't know the difference.

9c58ba71594b57ced34d7c0263e53a6adf4c60d553cf398c20fa4dd912a5d9b3.jpg

We went from single to twin. Yes, you CAN be intimidated, but it ain't nuttin' but a thang. From personal experience, I like them both equally. I was much better maneuvering the single, but I hope to improve at twin docking sooner or later. It was a huge difference that, even after a year, I am getting used to and not comfortable yet. Ours is definitely more expensive to operate, but there are more reasons than just two engines. Our setup went up in HP six-fold and up in length by almost 30%.

But think of it this way... They share battery systems, there are not two interiors and two engines don't double the number of shower sumps, or bilge pumps. Mine share a fuel system. There aren't twice the generators... I can go on and on and on, but I assume you get my point.

What everyone is (or should) say is to get the boat that speaks to you. Do NOT buy a boat, dismiss a boat, or only search for only one engine configuration. This topic has been argued endlessly, and like anchor debates, there IS NO right and wrong. Only what works for YOU!!!

You're welcome... Thread over :-D

Greetings,
Mr. A. Please don't take the reaction personally. 9mm vs. 45 is pretty well the same scenario. As mentioned, there are several threads dealing with just such a question. I can't remember any specifics but there may be some...ahem...heated comments therein. (pssst.....secret aside...There isn't much difference)

You should be aware that you are really deciding is whether or not you want a boat w 240hp and 760 cu in displacement or a boat w 120hp and 380 cu in displacement. The twin/single part of it is an also-ran.

I'm say'in the big question is how much propulsion weight and maintenance you wan on your boat. How much speed you really need is probably les than you think. We go 6 knots and it's fine but others have a need for more velocity.

Use the force, Luke.

I would concentrate on finding the boat you like that will meet your needs, then go with whichever it happens to have, single or twins. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

You'll most likely end up with twins and a flybridge. That's what's most available.

Wifey B: Other than our Ribs, I've never operated a single, so just as the OP might feel intimidated at first by twins, I would be at first by a single, but I am sure I could adjust and sure you could as well. A lot comes down to the who, what, where, when and how of your boating. Then your likes and dislikes. No absolutes.:)

I would mildly disagree with some and strongly disagree with other statements made above...not everything is double, or even close to double.

Agreed, starting with fuel. Personally, I would only have twins and consider the extra engine and the maneuverability and redundancy they provide to be significant safety features and therefore worth the extra cost. But there is certainly extra cost.

Personally I prefer have twins engines rather than a single engine and a "go home" engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom