Helmsman 31 - Just shipped to me in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were bought by Helmsman including the name. The tooling has been revised as well as outright tossed out with new tooling made. Camano is no longer used and it is just called the Helmsman 31.

I hope Bob Warman is still collecting his royalties on these hulls.

It is the exhaust from the gas/ water separator. The valve lower down is for the water.

The other valves you see came Fisheries Supply in Seattle and were
shipped over to the factory.

View attachment 62931

What's the thu hull with the big hose with no valve? Or am I looking at that pic wrong? Oh wait, maybe that's an exhaust hose?

And I wonder if there is a thread mismatch on those thru hulls with the ball valves screwed on.

Should there be a seacock there?

I really know nothing about boat construction, but looking at mine...

Last edited:
Never hurts to re-check so I just examined the diagrams again. This is how the Dutch design things and they have to adhere to mandatory standards: IMG_0245.JPG

Wow, what a NICE vessel. Seems like there's some new smaller trawlers that are very well laid out with some super features.

Good choice.

Should there be a seacock there?

I really know nothing about boat construction, but looking at mine...

That's what I was wondering-- no seacock on that thru-hull, but didn't know about that separator it goes to. Maybe a check valve there or something?

Is it common to have exhaust exiting under water like that?

Never hurts to re-check so I just examined the diagrams again. This is how the Dutch design things and they have to adhere to mandatory standards:View attachment 62944

In the installation instructions photo there is a valve shown in the below waterline water exit after exhaust/water separator.
It appears that the hose in your installation has no valve.
If you were to pull that hose off of that thruhull what would happen?
If as I suspect, sea water would enter the boat then you have a fairly dangerous installation and didn't conform to the drawing shown.
Isn't that new thruhull below waterline? Aren't the thruhulls next to it intakes for the generator? Am I missing something?
Bruce

There are two outlets from the separator. One above water line for the gas fumes , the second is below the water line for the water - the two have been separated. The below waterline valve is just barely below water.IMG_0220.JPG

In the installation instructions photo there is a valve shown in the below waterline water exit after exhaust/water separator.

It appears that the hose in your installation has no valve.

If you were to pull that hose off of that thruhull what would happen?

If as I suspect, sea water would enter the boat then you have a fairly dangerous installation and didn't conform to the drawing shown.

Isn't that new thruhull below waterline? Aren't the thruhulls next to it intakes for the generator? Am I missing something?

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 159
Ok,
Let's do it this way. Is the hose that I've marked with a yellow arrow "just barely" below waterline?
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 162
No it is above waterline. That is the gas fumes exhaust.

I was using the iPhone to take the picture so it isn't the best picture. There are three hoses attached to that separator. The hose connected to the center of the separator is from the water lock device (which looks almost exactly the same as the separator). Then there are two other hoses exiting at the top of the separator: 1 for water, 2 for gas fumes.

The water lock device is connected to the genset directly and prevents back flow. It is installed slightly below the genset. Then the separator is connected to this water lock minimum 24" above water line. The hose runs 24" from the water lock to the separator .

Last edited:
Roger that! I think I've got it now. :facepalm:

Those thruhulls are in the vertical side of the hull, not on the floor of the ER. The exhaust (without the seacock) is the highest one and it's above the waterline.

:thumb::D

That is correct. The lowest valve (barely showing in the picture -
is the ball valve.

Roger that! I think I've got it now. :facepalm:

Those thruhulls are in the vertical side of the hull, not on the floor of the ER. The exhaust (without the seacock) is the highest one and it's above the waterline.

:thumb::D

Ahhh. I get it now! From that pic it looked like they were mounted on the bottom of the hull. I suppose the light shining through the deck should have been my clue.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was mounted to the bottom of the hull! And shooting up with the camera

Ahhh. I get it now! From that pic it looked like they were mounted on the bottom of the hull.

This is the separator that is mounted up high: IMG_0222.JPG

This is the water lock that is mounted low against to bottom of the hull and connected in-line to the separator:

IMG_0221.JPG

This is 1 minute video on my personal YouTube channel of the gas/water separator just installed to the Whisper Power 3.5 MSC. You can see the water discharging below the gas outlet. Recorded with an iPhone starting outside, so the sound will be subjective, but rather quiet IMO.

https://youtu.be/3ZnT9AFxeb4

I'll double check those threads, but they are above water through hulls

Yeah I would not really worry about thread mismatch with above water valves. But supposedly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you accidentally step on one or drop something on one the valve could break off since only a few threads grab.

I checked on these above-waterline thru-hull valves and here is what I found. The elbow in this assembly is NPT. The valve itself where it meets the thru-hull is straight thread compatible. These are 3/4 inch thru-hulls. They are under/almost inside and protected by the bulwark.

The threaded thru hull is apparently made so that a backing plate can be used and would make their appearance much shorter. The picture probably exaggerates their appearance due to being in the foreground.

This is the company purchased from: http://www.yongxiangvalve.com/

Also, the below water seacocks look very different from these with backing plates, etc

Yeah I would not really worry about thread mismatch with above water valves. But supposedly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you accidentally step on one or drop something on one the valve could break off since only a few threads grab.

Last edited:
Excellent!

And don't pay any attention to me. I'm currently broken down because I didn't see an oil leak and also didn't pay attention to some other items that needed attention. [emoji35]

Current status

IMG_0477.JPG

Fuel burn on Hyundai Seasall S240

IMG_0512.JPGIMG_1015.JPG

Almost 8NM/Gal? (I think that says Kts) Very impressive! Is that your normal cruise power setting?

Back
Top Bottom