Returning to the lifestyle...trawler shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acheron2010

Vessel Name
Saoirse
Vessel Make
1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Hello all,
Retired 4 years ago to a Nauticat 44 motorsailer, which was the perfect sanctuary to wind down from the stress of being walked out the door on a 30 year career. I learned alot about old boats, old sailboats, teak, and living aboard.
Escaped California to a remote cabin in the hills of east Tennessee. Half the cost of living, no traffic, just the gentle wind, birds and animals of the forest. Again, perfect. But now, the water is calling again, and a grown daughter in the Sacramento Delta I'd like to spend some time with.
Selling the cabin, and shopping for a boat to explore the ICW or the Loop before returning to the Bay Area.
Island Packet SP Cruiser, Grand Banks Europa, American Tug, Nordic Tug, Beneteau Swift Trawler all look very tempting.
Look forward to learning, contributing where I can.

Welcome aboard, and hope that things work out the way that you want them to.

Escaped California to a remote cabin in the hills of east Tennessee. Half the cost of living, no traffic, just the gentle wind, birds and animals of the forest.

I have to tell you, though, what you have sounds pretty doggoned good! :)

Welcome aboard, WIlliam! Nice 'cabin' you've got there.

Good luck with your hunt. Lots of us Delta/Bay boaters here on TF.

Acheron,
Are you going to just live on the boat while cruising the loop and ICW, use it as your home away from home or sell the cabin in the woods right away?

The boats you mention are all nice. Looking at a 42 Beneteau this week, but probably over my pay grade.

That's a neat cabin... would love to have one as a get away occasionally, but couldn't live there off the water for very long. My brother has a place very similar, but to get his "water fix" he installed a small 3 acre lake, which he uses for fishing, swimming and a place to hang out. However, nothing beats being on the water.

At this time, my plans are to be a full-time liveaboard while doing the ICW/Loop. At the same time, because of a narrowing list of potential boats, if I find one in the Pacific Northwest, that tour might be that area instead. Final destination is the Sacramento Delta.

At this time, my plans are to be a full-time liveaboard while doing the ICW/Loop. At the same time, because of a narrowing list of potential boats, if I find one in the Pacific Northwest, that tour might be that area instead. Final destination is the Sacramento Delta.

One thing you might keep in mind when finding a boat is the ease of transporting it later to the west coast, unless you want to go the Panama Canal route. The boats you're considering would be rather easy although requiring the removal of the flybridge. That's really not a major problem, just extra cost.

Back
Top Bottom