Old 03-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Heron
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I do not recommend aluminum for any "yacht," certainly I recommend that you never paint nor coat your aluminum.

In your case, remove the canvas and then scrub the pipe with a scotchbrite pad. Depending upon the alloy it will form an aluminum coating quite soon. Wash it well and put the canvas back on. It will return to its existing state eventually but it will not be better if you paint.

Painted aluminum super yachts must be a nightmare - must be why they have such huge crews and why you and I don't have one!

My credentials:
I agree.....No paint! I made a set of Weaver Bracket risers and stand-offs a few years ago and powdercoated them thinking this would work...Unfortunately, once that finish was breached I got the bubbling and peeling you refer to. My second set, I Plastidipped (a rubberized spray on coating) and they have held up nicely.. My window frames are anodized, so no issues after 28 years.

I think cleaning up as you say will work, and the best solution. I think a sealer, from what I'm reading, will buy me a few years.......