Installing a threaded ring collar on 50 amp plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
I am sure there is a good way to go about this. I need to install a Marinco threaded ring collar on a 50 amp plug. I am guessing I will need to heat the plastic in some way, but thought I might ask before tackling this chore.

No heat required above room temperature. There is a ridge on the outer cover that the plastic ring pulls against when you screw the ring to the outlet. Force the plastic ring over part of the ridge. Then work your way around pushing the plastic ring over the ridge as you go. Once you get it started, it's not difficult at all.

Ted

No heat required above room temperature. There is a ridge on the outer cover that the plastic ring pulls against when you screw the ring to the outlet. Force the plastic ring over part of the ridge. Then work your way around pushing the plastic ring over the ridge as you go. Once you get it started, it's not difficult at all.

Ted

That's how the 30 amp ones work so I'll bet the 50 amp plugs are the same.

My Furion cord and Marinco 50amp adapters were bears to get the rings on.

I got them on with some silicone spray, lots of twisting and sheer force.

If I do it again, I will warm them up quite a bit.

I just put them on, then in a month one marina I stayed at had fitting where I had to cut the ring off....really passed me off after the struggle.

I have done literally dozens of 30 amp cords easily, but these new 50A ones were tough.

Last edited:
My Furion cord and Marinco 50amp adapters were bears to get the rings on.

I got them on with some silicone spray, lots of twisting and sheer force.

If I do it again, I will warm them up quite a bit.

I just put them on, then in a month one marina I stayed at had fitting where I had to cut the ring off....really passed me off after the struggle.

I have done literally dozens of 30 amp cords easily, but these new 50A ones were tough.

Exactly what I am finding. I am thinking of applying how towels to the plugs to soften up and them spray something slick.

Exactly what I am finding. I am thinking of applying how towels to the plugs to soften up and them spray something slick.

All you are trying to do is soften the lip is my tbought....

Probably a hair dryer would work fine...

If too warm, they may tear.....that is my worry.

Also, when I did force them on with a twist...they produced 2 little tears at 180 degrees.

If you clipped 2 little vees in the collar, it may help, just not so much that snugged up they wouldn't be water resistant.

Last edited:
Gently heat, use wire lube or soap that will rinse off with no residue to soften or chemically alter the plug material. Silicone is probably OK, but wire lube would be my 1st choice.

BTW, if you ever need to pull wires of any kind through spaces on the boat, apply some wire lube to the wire you're pulling as you feed it through the opening. You'll be astounded at how much easier the process goes. No need to worry about cleaning it off afterwards if you can't reach it.

Greetings,
Mr. bike. And I've found if you apply something "slick" it also "slickens" your grip. So DON'T do this anywhere near deeper water...Trust me on that one. Do it inside a cabin or well on shore so when the collar goes sproing or some such it will land someplace you can retrieve it.

giphy.gif

Try sliding the boot back off the plug on the cable then installing the ring and replacing the boot.

Greetings,
Mr. bay. Now, THERE'S a good idea! I suppose one could "slick" up the boot to allow easier sliding as well. Dandy, thanks. Oh, Mr. bike. Unplug the cable first please...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Just to be sure, you are heating the rubber on the plug, not the ring. Just warm, not hot. And lubrication is a good idea but use something that won't harm the rubber. "Wire lube" is good for this.

Try sliding the boot back off the plug on the cable then installing the ring and replacing the boot.

These are moulded plug ends, no sliding anything anywhere..at least on mine.....and pretty sure factory Marinco are the same.

Hubble used to have boots that could be pulled back.

These are moulded plug ends, no sliding anything anywhere..at least on mine.....and pretty sure factory Marinco are the same.

Hubble used to have boots that could be pulled back.

Yes, my plug end is moulded.

Factory cords are usually molded. If one end gets damaged and you decide to replace just the end, it will not be molded, there will be a separate plug or socket and boot.

Bikesndboat it sounds like you are putting a threaded ring on the male plug.
Are you going to be joining two cables? You usually don't need the ring on the male plug. Just curious.

I use Dawn dish soap. It cleans off easily after install.

Bikesndboat it sounds like you are putting a threaded ring on the male plug.
Are you going to be joining two cables? You usually don't need the ring on the male plug. Just curious.

Yes. Actually I am joining a 50 AMP, 125 volt cord to a 50 AMP, 240 volt to 50 Amp, 125 volt adapter.

WOW, that was a bunch of numbers and words together. Wonder if I got it all correct?

I think I understand. Your boat is wired for 50 amp 125 volt and the only outlet available is 250 volt. Common problem, not many marinas have 50 amp 125v outlets anymore.

Just as an aside, I have found Astroglide to be the absolutely best lubricant for getting hoses on to fittings. I'll bet it will work on the power cord too. Find it in the pharmacy near the K-Y jelly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom