Ford Lehman Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlaloli

Vessel Name
Annie
Vessel Make
Clipper 34
Hi all,

Received the bad news there is 4 cracks in my FL head..

Anyone have any idea where I could source a head? Have tried American Diesel, Fred Warner and Bomsec but they look to supply general parts only...

Would help too if it is in Australia.

In particular I have the Ebro 4D220-65 unit.

Does anyone know if a head from an 80hp FL would fit this engine?

Thanks!

Were the cracks leaking? Where are cracks located? Not all head cracks are fatal. Some can be left as is, some can be fixed. But some are fatal.

Industrial Engines, Delta BC Canada. No idea what shipping would do to you...

I have a ready to go spare in my garage. Shipping to Oz might be steep.

Sorry just realized it's not the right one.

Thanks for the fast replies.. Ive been rebuilding this boat for the past year and so now grumpy with the past owner for letting this happen!!

Anyway - I have 2 x cracks near the thermostat housing at the neck. And another two at the same end on the face of the head..

Still establishing if we can repair locally, but so far most machine shops are reluctant to touch it..

I shall contact Industrial Engines - thanks so much..

Seems also these EBRO FL engines are fairly rare!

Attachments

• DSC09945.jpg
    DSC09945.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC09949.jpg
    DSC09949.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC09950.jpg
    DSC09950.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC09951.jpg
    DSC09951.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC09952.jpg
    DSC09952.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC09953.jpg
    DSC09953.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 129
Did you find this? https://www.absolutelyeverythingabout.com/boats/motor-iberica-ebro/. Not sure it helps, but the Spanish manufacturing history is interesting.
Is the "65" a reference to hp, ie 65 instead of the usual 80? My Lehman book shows the 4cyl engine as 242cu up to 11/69 with liners, and 254cu without liners from 12/69 on. Not sure if the "220" refers to cu.
Is the cylinder head a Lehman Marinizing Part? I`m not sure but I don`t think so. Others may know more. Your quest should be easier if you just need a 4 cyl Ford head. When I bought a FW circulation pump from a NSW tractor dealer Wagga Wagga Tractor (on ebay)for my 6cyl there were many Ford products it fitted.
If the head is unserviceable as is and a repair fails you are no worse off. Worth a try if someone is up for it.

I believe a decent engine reconditioner could repair those cracks. Some may well not be in a place that matters all that much anyway. Hard to tell just looking at pics. Ie, not where it would allow water into the oil which is about the only real no-no.

Thanks all,

Bruce K - nice to hear from you again..

yes the history on my boat is interesting, it does in fact have 2 x 65hp Ebro FL's.. They were built some time between 1960 - 1965 and my vessel built in 1977...

I havent seen a lot of Australian Clippers with twin engines, ours did perform to about 8 knots. Would like to hear how they ended up in our boat but can only assume it may have been a deal done during the build..

I have started searching the tractor suppliers, and have contacted Wagga Wagga tractors - thanks v much.

Still working on trying to repair the existing head but will continue searching for a replacement.

ABC Diesels in NSW have been a great source of help also.. Having spoken to many, opinion is the volume of coolent or water found in my sump is unlikely to have come via the cracks in the head, and I do need to continue fault finding. My engines have a wet liner and it still may very well be the seals.

I'm going to check first by filling with water and draining the sump in a hope to find if water is still making its way in... Regardless I expect we are going to need to remove the seals for inspection as well..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom