Do You Know Brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I need a new exterior dome light like this one. It has a glass lens. The lens on my other one fell off and broke.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 102
If you can't figure it out ask Nordic Tug, they'll likely have a record of what they used

Did that and have not yet heard back. I posted here in case it was not original equipment.

If you keep the light , rather than installing a dimmable LED perhaps this mod will help.

If the light has 2 leads for the bulb ,(doesn't ground thru the case) with the removal of one pin a car brake/tail light 2 filament bulb can be installed.

I install a simple pull chain , and the smaller filement gets powered by it.

Guests easily understand the pull chain, and if its on a while the small filement helps the house batts.

I'll bet that if you unscrew the fixture and pull it down a few inches, the manufacturer and model will be on a sticker on the bottom.

Once you have that, a web search should turn up what you need. Or contact the manufacturer for replacement parts.

Swapping both out for LEDs does sound like a good idea at this point.

I am going to take it down today and see if anything is written on it. This is the broken one.

We had a storm with a small twister come through town Monday night and something must have blown through the cockpit striking this overhead light. A couple of lanais lost their screens and the furniture was in the yacht club pool which is about 50 yards from the boat.

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Took it down and looked it over.

Here are some more pictures that might give a clue as to the manufacturer of my broken cockpit light.

1. It has a recessed stainless mounting plate in the overhead attached with square head screws leading me to believe that it is original equipment. There are hundreds of square head screws on a Nordic.

2. Embossed into the cast aluminum underside of the fixture is a jumping fish or leaping dolphin. I would think that it would have to be a manufacturer's logo.

3. It is about 5" in diameter.

Three pictures below.

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 71
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 114
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 77
That's a manufacturer's logo in the lower center. I can't make it out but an experienced marine retailer will probably recognize it.

NT said might be Cantalupi. One other person said the dolphin is a Southco logo. I am on the scent.

Just to be sure, check the other side of that mounting plate that you didn't remove.

NT said might be Cantalupi. One other person said the dolphin is a Southco logo. I am on the scent.

Not Southco, they don't make lights. I'm not familiar with the Cantalupi logo, but some how that light doesn't look like their style. It wouldn't hurt to email them the picture and ask.

I am going to plan B...a new lens. The light works just fine so a new lens deep enough for the dim-able G-4 LED shown in post #10 would work.

The broken lens has what are known as "jelly jar" threads that screw into the light fixture. The diameter is 2 3/4". Ball makes 2 3/4" 4 oz. mason jars that might work if the threads will mate to the inside of the light fixture. If that works I will buy two jars and replace the non broken lens on the other cockpit light so they match.

So it is off to Wally World for mason jars.

Seasalt, I like it! Going for the hill billy look. You should get some extra jars to serve moonshine and sweet tea!:D
Actually a good idea. Let us know if the threads are right.

The cat has been skinned...at least until something better comes along.

4 oz Ball Quilted Mason Jars with a 2 3/4" opening fit perfectly. Total spent...9 bucks for a dozen. Lot of spares for when they work loose and fall to the deck.

BTW, plenty of head room and I am 6'2".

My wife thinks they look cute.

Attachments

• Ball1.jpg
    Ball1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Ball2.jpg
    Ball2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 141
I like the creativity and they look good. Patterned glass adds a nice touch. No redneck yacht club look that I envisioned when I read Mason Jar

Greetings,
Mr. 007. Outstanding! Simple yet elegant. If you wish to tone down the light you can paint the inside with a rattle can. For that matter, with a dozen, you can paint 6 pairs a different color to set the "mood". I've painted glass numerous times with good results.

Looks like a great time to replace those lenses with polycarbonate. I'd hate to step on the broken glass.

Looks good! And you've got ten High Ball Glasses out of the deal as well.

Looks like a great time to replace those lenses with polycarbonate. I'd hate to step on the broken glass.

I would do that in a New York minute if I could find polycarbonate with jelly glass threads. Do you know of any???

Nah, don't worry. They're not going to break. I bet in ten years time you still have ten new and unused mason jars cluttering up wherever they were put. I think it was an 'elegant' solution. Like the old Honda TV ad...well, it was on our TV anyway..."don't you love it when things just work!"

If you are worried about the coarse thread "jars" unwinding themselves use a dab of something, even silicone(hush Mr. F)as a hold, which applying force will overcome.

If you are worried about the coarse thread "jars" unwinding themselves use a dab of something, even silicone(hush Mr. F)as a hold, which applying force will overcome.

Great idea. I just got back from doing exactly that. Thanks Bruce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom