Bleeding Perkins 6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Just the other day the engine surged and quit . So I decided to change all filters . I've bleed the system before and it was no big deal , but having trouble this time . I get good fuel out of my injection pump with no air when using my manual pump , but I can't get any fuel up to the secondary filter . I notice when I'm pumping I get air bubbles in the first racor . What am I doing wrong . I've been pumping like crazy but no fuel to the secondary.

Are you using the manual pump on the engine block ? If so make sure your off the cam and getting full stroke on the pump

You could also try using cheap engine degreaser sprayed down the inlet-manifold .This will force the engine to start and with very small amounts sprayed you can keep the engine running till it self primes .

Warning keep a rag close by in-case you get a runaway ;):D

These Perkins are tractor engines and need to trained to obey and not fussed over like a Swiss watch

In fig. N.11 the book is calling this a fuelled starting aid needs bleeding . I'm not sure where this located unless it's the one on the side of the filter housing . I've loosenthe banjo fitting at top of filter . I'm getting some air out here but no fuel . Is there anything to that racor bubbling when I pump ?

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Marty you said just the other day the engine surged and quit.What makes you think it was clogged filters ?

It's been along time since changed but to honest they were not that bad .

OK, sorry to ask, but there is fuel in the tank?

No problem . I stuck the tank and it has plenty fuel . The bubbles in the racor when I pump the priming lever are bugging me .

Im starting to think its fuel pump related ??? These pumps will pump fuel but wont have any pressure .
Can you get your hands on a 12v pump and repeat the process as a first step to eliminate possible problem you had to start with before you changed the filters ??

The fuel from the priming pump does go to the injection pump before it goes to filter right ? There is no fuel in the line going to the secondary filter .

Last edited:
Im starting to think its fuel pump related ??? These pumps will pump fuel but wont have any pressure .
Can you get your hands on a 12v pump and repeat the process as a first step to eliminate possible problem you had to start with before you changed the filters ??
Check this out . I just remembered I had a spare in the basement from PO . I know that it is not mounted but man it is a lot harder to pump than the one that's on the engine .

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 61
Fingers crossed :)
Make sure the cam that operates the pump in on the low side when you fit it
I was gonna ask if I can screw up something mounting it . How can I tell the cam is in right position? Should I be able to bolt it up without any resistance on the arm that rides the cam ?

Before you replace the fuel pump turn the engine 180 degrees and see if the pump feels any different you may be riding the to of the cam at present which makes it hard and not pumping fuel

Check this out . I just remembered I had a spare in the basement from PO . I know that it is not mounted but man it is a lot harder to pump than the one that's on the engine .
It`s possible the "spare" was removed because of a defect, check it before you go with it or you might compound the problem.
I`ve heard a diesel will also run on WD40. Might be kinder to the engine than degreaser?

Before you replace the fuel pump turn the engine 180 degrees and see if the pump feels any different you may be riding the to of the cam at present which makes it hard and not pumping fuel
There doesn't seem to have resistance within the full length of stroke , only a short part of the stroke .

It`s possible the "spare" was removed because of a defect, check it before you go with it or you might compound the problem.
I`ve heard a diesel will also run on WD40. Might be kinder to the engine than degreaser?

Cheap aerosol degrease is 95% kero and a little detergent you could run a diesel all day on it if you wish

I was thinking that also . I would like to think the plastic plugs in the ports are a positive sign ? What is a good way to check out the pump before installing it. It really feels different than what's on the engine .

There doesn't seem to have resistance within the full length of stroke , only a short part of the stroke .

Whats coming out of the outlet of the pump on the engine at present ? Is there a good strong pulse of fuel or a dribble You should mount the spare pump in a vise and hook up fuel lines either side and test the pump

Thanks for all the input. If I don't have to work late tomorrow, I'll get back at it .

Cheap aerosol degrease is 95% kero and a little detergent you could run a diesel all day on it if you wish
Interesting, not realized degreaser is mostly kero, makes sense.
Reason I suggested checking the "spare" is my experience with a used Onan solenoid my mechanic happened to have in his workshop. Installed, it had more issues than mine.

If you are pumping the lift pump and seeing bubbles in the racor, you have a problem between the racor and the tank. Should see no air.

If you are pumping the lift pump and seeing bubbles in the racor, you have a problem between the racor and the tank. Should see no air.

Yes it bubbles with every pump .So that means I'm sucking in air somewhere? Thanks , I'll check all my connections between racors and tank . That's probably what caused it to quit in the first place.

Ahhh, finally! Should be no bubbles in the incoming fuel. Won't be fun finding the leak, I fear. Could be a very small crack in fitting, tubing or hose. Even, of course, around the lid of the Racor whose filter you just changed.

Ahhh, finally! Should be no bubbles in the incoming fuel. Won't be fun finding the leak, I fear. Could be a very small crack in fitting, tubing or hose. Even, of course, around the lid of the Racor whose filter you just changed.
Yes I'm sure it will be hard to find . We've had several things loosen up over the winter with temperature fluctuations lately . It was 72 degrees here last Thursday and we have a low today of 18 degrees . I jumped the gun dewinterized both the engine and gennie the other day.

Just the other day the engine surged and quit . So I decided to change all filters . I've bleed the system before and it was no big deal , but having trouble this time . I get good fuel out of my injection pump with no air when using my manual pump , but I can't get any fuel up to the secondary filter . I notice when I'm pumping I get air bubbles in the first racor . What am I doing wrong . I've been pumping like crazy but no fuel to the secondary.

Did you put the CAV filter o ring into the top body first or inside the top of the filter can? The second way is wrong and you won't get flow.
There's a post on CAV filters made on December 24, 2016 that shows the wrong way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom