Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
The outlets that do not function properly on the inverter are non-GFI. I can't tell the wiring order. Let's assume the GFI is not the first outlet in the circuit. Would the problem I am experiencing be a symptom of that? If so, what is an appropriate solution?
I'm not a marine electrician, never played one on TV.

If all the outlets are in a string, the first one should be the GFI to give all the others after it protection. If that is how they are wired (in a string) there should be only one as the second causes problems. Before continuing, verify there is only one GFI on each circuit.

You can determine the position of the GFI in a circuit by pushing the test button on the GFI receptacle. After it has tripped, the GFI and any other outlets down stream shouldn't have power.

If you're not comfortable doing electrical wiring, at this point, hire a marine electrician.

If it were me (I'm proficient with most wiring work), I would turn off the power, open the GFI outlet, disconnect the power wires, remove the GFI completely and connect the wires in that box by colors so that power will flow to the remaining outlets. Then turn the inverter back on to determine if the other outlets work (without the GFI) with your phone charger. If so, I would assume the GFI is causing the problem.

Inverters work with GFI outlets. If your GFI proves to be the problem replace it with a new one.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote