Southeast Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I was kinda counting on Al from Ketchikan to step up with the answer, but before it went large scale and regional, that little brewery in Juneau made a red ale called "Chinook".

For a few years thereafter you could demonstrate your bona fides by saying, "gimme a Chinook," but a new generation of bartenders have no idea.

I'm going to try it this summer .......Gimme a Chinook. We are normally around Craig most of the summer. I'll see if they are tuned in over there.

I'm going to try it this summer .......Gimme a Chinook. We are normally around Craig most of the summer. I'll see if they are tuned in over there.

If the barkeep is under age 50, you'll probably just get a blank look, but you can show him this:

Attachments

• Chinook.jpg
    Chinook.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
I may get there by the end of the summer. I'd like to, but it will depend on the winds allowing me to go north from May until September.

We will begin our transit of the Panama Canal tomorrow.

I will be cruising SE Alaska in a 34 ft sailboat this summer. I purchase her in April. Anticipate calling her Oz. She will start in Ketchikan then homeport in Wrangell. Contact korbey@mvdarlin.com.

Not another Oz in SE! :) It will especially confuse all our friends as Wrangell is so close to our homeport of Petersburg. I do claim rights as I'm from Kansas!

Here is the latest:

Interim Ron & JoAnne
Hat Trick Ken
Silver Bay Tom
Rob n' Lee
Dream Catcher Richard
Safe Harbor
SLO~Belle Al
Pairadice John & Tracy
Alaskan Sea-diction Tom & Kay
Tanglewood Peter
All weather
OZ
Coast Eagle
Fiddler Dale & Cathleen
Sunchaser Tom & Jan
Alternative Ken
Dauntless
OZ-2

Well, I was kinda counting on Al from Ketchikan to step up with the answer, but before it went large scale and regional, that little brewery in Juneau made a red ale called "Chinook".

For a few years thereafter you could demonstrate your bona fides by saying, "gimme a Chinook," but a new generation of bartenders have no idea.

AP- You give me too much credit!!!:facepalm:In my younger days, (High school here in Ketchikan) the deal was to find a 'well lubricated adult' willing to purchase a case of "Oly" beer for a couple of eager boys.:angel: Story: When the red light started flashing, the bottles flew out all windows. The "well lubricated adult of the moment" asleep on the rear floor boards, and three accosted boys all transported to the local retaining center. After a bit, one of my cohorts asked the jailer if we could post bail. "Yes, $25.00 each" said the jailer. "Could I (my friend for life;)) asked my friend be let out to obtain the bail money?" "Sure" said the jailer. Where upon my friend headed to the 'Sourdough' bar and cashed a bogus check for $100.00 on the faith the bar tender knew his father,(He knew all of our fathers!!). So we were released. The next chapter was our day in court.
Asked to plead, I and my other associate other than my 'Friend for Life' pleaded guilty. Fine to be paid? Our bail funds.
My 'Friend for Life' a star on the high school basketball team destined for a State Championship, before he could plead, had the magistrate a HUGE basketball fan, asked for a recess. Following the recess, 'My Friend for Life" pleaded 'Not Guilty'. He received his bail money back.

'Friend for Life' later introduced my wife to me through a 'Blind Date' That is another story. The chapters of that story is currently at 59 years,:smitten: but who is counting!!:angel:

Al-Ketchikan

Sorry about the spelling. I'll make it right with some liquid libations.

I like craft beer and Alaska Amber is very high on my list. The economics of shipping AA from SE Alaska to the lower 48 has always perplexed me, bottled beer being as heavy as it is for shipping and then having to compete on price with Washington and Oregon beers. They obviously have it figured out.

Here's a clue. The sample is from the tariff book for TOTE between ANC and Tacoma. Barge from Juneau probably half, or less; but note the disparity in cost reflecting the lack of traffic on the southbound leg. How many bottles of beer in a 40 foot container do you suppose?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 84
Moving this thread and an update.

Finally got the AIS reprogrammed (sort of) and now reads Howdy not Alternative for Beth & Ken Diestler.

We hope to be leaving Anacortes in the next 3 to 5 days.

Moving this thread and an update.

Finally got the AIS reprogrammed (sort of) and now reads Howdy not Alternative for Beth & Ken Diestler.

We hope to be leaving Anacortes in the next 3 to 5 days.

Moving it as a forum moderator? or what? Leaving for where? logical is North. If that the case, what is the 'wandering schedule' in Southeast that one might keep an eye out to say hello.

regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Not a moderator just moving it up the chain of New Posts.

Leaving Anacortes in 3 to 5 days heading north.
Only real itinerary I have is to be in Petersburg on or before June 20 and in the Hoonah-Excursion Inlet area around July 1 (and that may change) and to get over to Sitka for a while.

Mostly posted because I got the AIS reprogrammed.

Ken

ktdtx- By the way, here is the current list of known boats in or soon to be in, the Southern South East portion of Alaska, Exception is Tanglewood which is heading to Prince William Sound. but will be traveling back through this fall. Keep us in mind as you wander about.
Al-Ketchikan

Interim / Ron & JoAnne
Hat Trick / Ken
Silver Bay / Tom, Rob n' Lee
Dream Catcher / Richard
Safe Harbor
SLO~Belle / Al
Pairadice / John & Tracy
Alaskan Sea-Duction / Tom & Kay
Tanglewood / Peter
All weather
OZ
Coast Eagle
Fiddler / Dale & Cathleen
Sunchaser / Tom & Jan
Alternative / Ken
Dauntless / Richard
OZ-2

Not a moderator just moving it up the chain of New Posts.

Leaving Anacortes in 3 to 5 days heading north.
Only real itinerary I have is to be in Petersburg on or before June 20 and in the Hoonah-Excursion Inlet area around July 1 (and that may change) and to get over to Sitka for a while.

Mostly posted because I got the AIS reprogrammed.

Ken

Aaaaa Hoonah, my very favorite ship loading port that I had the pleasure to work many years back. Have you been there?

The Native population of Hoonah are the most attentive, hard working souls one could ask for. Cheerful, happy, just great folk to be around.
Fredrick Sound holds some of the most wonderful fishing, fresh water, salt, you can ask for.
I had 10 years of seasonal ship loading at Hoonah and as you can see, partial to a fault!!:smitten:

Al

Dream Catcher update:

Anacortes, Cap Sante slip C20, for the next few days. Leaving to head north on May 9.

Plan to be in Petersburg 6/1, Sitka 6/9, Auke Bay 6/22, Craig 7/7. The rest not yet planned - probably one more loop back north in SEAK, then slowly back to WA.

Just got our new AIS transmit working. MMSI is 367733860.

Dream Catcher update:

Anacortes, Cap Sante slip C20, for the next few days. Leaving to head north on May 9.

Plan to be in Petersburg 6/1, Sitka 6/9, Auke Bay 6/22, Craig 7/7. The rest not yet planned - probably one more loop back north in SEAK, then slowly back to WA.

Just got our new AIS transmit working. MMSI is 367733860.

Took the liberty of adding your name to the list above. Nice crowd,

Came across Ron on the "Interim" back and in Canada for a couple of weeks. Nice to visit and will again when he is back in our area readying the boat for launch.

Al

Alternative / Ken

Yes, original reason for the post was to change from "Alternative" to "Howdy" after I got the AIS more properly programmed.

We spent some time in Hoonah last year. Enjoyed it. Tried to see the Alaska Bush People (their headquarters is here) but they were all on vacation in Hawaii.

Good timing "Twisted Tree" I have been attempting to depart for Wrangell, but 'Windy' site and the 'Canadian' [weather] gave pause. Thought hard this AM and took a moment to reconsider eventhough the local visual weather was flat calm and no wind, given an hour it turned much as you caught. Always tomorrow.

Al

Al,

I get to Wrangell on Saturday afternoon southbound flight. If you will still be there let me know. Heading toward Sitka next week but don't plan to get there until the 19th or so.

Tom

It got right sporty this afternoon here around Craig but the morning was nice. I think tomorrow will be decent again and thursday and friday are shaping up to be pleasant. for what its worth I use a combination of weather sites including windytv but the noaa marine point weather site is the one I seem to rely on more than the others. You can get quite specific when checking particular locations.

Al,

I get to Wrangell on Saturday afternoon southbound flight. If you will still be there let me know. Heading toward Sitka next week but don't plan to get there until the 19th or so.

Tom

Hi Tom, so looking forward to seeing you guys. Not sure, was intending on this trip to wish an old acquaintance and half assed relative off to the "Other Side" memorial service. The need to be there is now more related to golfing. When the weather abates I will jump. I'd say that I'd be there after you leave. Will keep an eye out for you later in the season as you putt about the immediate area.

Fair winds and easy seas for your trip. Sounds as though 'Twisted Tree' discovered a 'Safe Space' if we are allowed using this verbiage in a more applicable intent in the Sitka area.

Al

It got right sporty this afternoon here around Craig but the morning was nice. I think tomorrow will be decent again and thursday and friday are shaping up to be pleasant. for what its worth I use a combination of weather sites including windytv but the noaa marine point weather site is the one I seem to rely on more than the others. You can get quite specific when checking particular locations.

Hi Brother Dave- Have you viewed the 'Canadian' (I call it that like it is a person); Dixon Entrance East - North Coast - Environment Canada

I use it sort of a check against 'Windytv' There is little doubt using the two sites. One has to adjust and use common sense as to distance and timing. If the weather is coming out of the South/Southeast, then I add 6 hours to local time for that weather to hit here, on the other hand, Westerly or Northerly, one is already in what is forecasted but useable for the hours out from current.
Not so much detail but frank in the stated weather prognost.

Al-Ketchikan

Hi Al,
Yes that is a useful site as well. I don't use it as much as I once did, nor windytv either, and mainly rely on the noaa marine point but your post is a good reminder to check a few different sources.

Thanks.

Buoy weather
I used Buoy this past summer and found it very limiting. They forcast mostly open water. It did work for Dixon, but not Cape Caution and others. I canceled my subscription. I used the following and compared them against each other to get a clearer view of the weather. I never relied on just one source. We also ran into a situation where all our apps were wrong and Canada Environmental was spot on. We thought CE was always wrong but not that time. We got our asses handed to us in Dixon that day.

NOAA
CE
Windty
Pridictwind
NOAA and CE buoy info

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom