Europa 36' Mark Ii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I have been told that the Mark II series vessels were built to better standards then prior model. Is this true and what was done in a better manner. With out crawling the bilges, the Late 80s Europas look better then prior models. Does any one have any info about that fact?.

Is Europa a boat brand in USA? I thought it was just a model variant in a range of boats built by several manufacturers.

Bruce, as the post is in the IG/Halvorsen thread I am assuming by Europa 'Ron T' is referring to the style change from the Old 32's to the newer look, as in the one Gaston is currently having surveyed. Well that's my guess anyway.

Thanks Andy, overlooked that, I get it now.
Ron, my Europa is 1981, so early. The other Aussie one I know, owned by Brisboy, is circa 1983. Not much help unfortunately.

You are correct. I am referring to the IG line of boats. Now they appear as Integrity brand. I am looking at 1987-89 Mark II model in Europa model. I am trying to be an educated buyer. My other choice would by the Grand Banks. But not many sedans or Europa 36s about. I will wait.

Ron, all the best for your search. I think the last IG builder is the current Integrity builder. I`m not so sure Integrity build quality = the Kong & Halvorsen IG build quality, which imo compared well to GB build quality. Joseph Kong being the factor common to both brands.

You are correct. I am referring to the IG line of boats. Now they appear as Integrity brand. I am looking at 1987-89 Mark II model in Europa model. I am trying to be an educated buyer. My other choice would by the Grand Banks. But not many sedans or Europa 36s about. I will wait.

Ron, I think, being an owner of one of the older kind of vessels, which does just happen to be a Europa type, (as in not aft cabin), which was quite rare back in 1975, although the norm now, I think what they are meaning when they say better built, is that the entire structure of hull and superstructure is fibreglass, cored with a timber in earlier days, but now usually with a synthetic material. With the really early builds, the superstructure was all timber, with just a painted outer surface, or at most a thin sheet of glass fibre cloth, then painted over.
These rotted more easily if water penetrated, but being timber are also not that hard to repair.

In addition to this development, the newer ones at some point, (all the Integrity models I think), stopped screwing down the teak decks, and they are either glued down, so as nothing pierces the fibreglass deck underneath, or many makers, including the Integritys, have dispensed with the teak altogether for the decks, with just fibreglass non-skid.

Then of course there are newer engines, usually turbocharged, in the later models, allowing higher speeds, but at reduced economy, although comparing time on distance, they are often not too bad in this respect. Hope that helps.

Then of course there are newer engines, usually turbocharged, in the later models, allowing higher speeds, but at reduced economy, although comparing time on distance, they are often not too bad in this respect...
Newer, more modern is good, but with Integrity, only one engine. And newer boats won`t have simple non turbo engines, like Lehmans.
But, probably time I moved on from the traditional, to lighter builds, and turbos.

Gentlemen, thank you for your time and advice. I will continue to learn and look.

probably time I moved on from the traditional, to lighter builds, and turbos.[/QUOTE]

Why- Mid life crisis Bruce? What's wrong with a bit of wood rot & shaky old engines. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom