Planning A Trip up The Tombigbee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Planning a trip up to Chattanooga will I need a dinghy ????

Planning a trip up to Chattanooga will I need a dinghy ????

That would depend on your style of cruising. Do you do much anchoring? Do you have a pooch that would need to get to shore? Other than that probably not. There are marina stops spaced out for a days cruise. Besides, the TennTom WW has few places to land on shore.

Come on up to Chattanooga. I will be leaving the downtown area to move back to Signal Mountain. When you leave the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee look up to the last mountain on your port side. I may be waving at you.

The Tennessee River is a great cruise.

I doubt it is necessary. You might want it for exploring some areas, if you want, but there will be very little "need" of a dinghy for cruising this route. I have only been up the Ten-Tom a few times, but I do not remember many places to go to shore than the marinas.

What's your time frame? Leaving Mobile April 15 heading for Knoxville.

We stayed on the Tenn Tom for a year from Columbus, MS to Knoxville and never needed one except for putting around while in a marina.

Kartracer & MikeyG, I'm on my way down the Tennessee now in a 40' Albin. Got as far as Guntersville so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

As for a dinghy, I think that's been covered. I've always found I use the dinghy a lot less than I thought I would, and end up staying at marinas more than I planned. But YMMV.

We will also be heading up the TennTom about that same time. We are looking forward to spending the summer on Watts Bar Lake.
We may see Ya'll on the way.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Thanks everyone, I am still in the planning stage.

Best guess going up or down ?
How many days to go from Paducah Ky
to Mobile Al.
Assuming average locks times and weather.
7 to 10 kn 8 hours per day.

Just starting to work on a fall time frame
from
Quad cities Iowa to Gulf shores Ala.

Thanks

Drake, pm sent, sounds like a busy time...

It seems like it took us 7 days going from Yellow Creek/Tennessee River to Dog River and 8 coming back up in our 37' sailboat.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom