Old 03-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #18
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
If you want to disable an ACR a simple on/off toggle switch or a contura switch etc., in the neg lead, will do just that.
I have a similar setup with my Yandina combiner.

I have a G31 start and a 6xGC house, all LAs. Each alternator charges one bank...port 55A to the G31 start and stbd 110A Balmar to the house. No load or charge sharing is normally needed there, but the option of charge sharing exists through the combiner. Any load sharing or battery isolation would be accomplished by two Perko battery switches located outside the ER and clearly labelled.

The single bank 55A shore charger is connected to the house bank and a switchable Yandina 160A combiner shares this charge with the start G31.

I have a STST switch installed in the helm header that connects the combiner green remote wire to ground. This allows me to remotely defeat the voltage sensing feature that combines the banks. I use this to prevent the banks from combining during heavy charging of the house bank, typically at anchor.

I could have installed a SPDT-center OFF switch to allow a manual ON position without regard to voltage sensing but I felt that would not be useful and could lead to an inadvertent combining of the banks if left in that position. I have not regretted this decision yet and suspect I won't.

Since the combiner switch is ON for defeat or OFF for combine, I installed the switch inverted so the functions ON/OFF would seem more logical...UP for COMBINE (ON), DOWN for ISOLATE (OFF). Here's my overhead switch panel.

Normally when I return to my slip, my house bank is at or near float stage. In this case I leave the boat in the slip with the combiner on to keep a float charge on the start battery. If the house bank is in absorption stage, I disable the combiner (switch down) to avoid overcharging the now-full start battery. It's fine without a charge for the week or so that I'll be away from the boat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote