Rain-X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Does Rain-X work on salt water? My luck with wipers hasn't been the best and I'm guessing boat wipers won't be any different. Rain-X seems like a natural as long as it works on salt water.

Rain X dose help and is better than nothing and works ok with salt water but its 100% useless compared to good wipers

Is that because, unlike cars at highway speed, the boat speed is usually too slow to blow the rain drops off the glass?

I used in whenever I had to steer from the lower station, I didn't have wipers on that boat, and it did fine but I would put it on every day I needed to steer below.

Rainx

I use RainX and am very satisfied with results in salt water. I find it more effective than wipers smearing salt brine.

If you must use a Rain x type produce used Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass. it lasts 18 months + unlike Rain x 2 weeks

At that price, it ought to. Thanks Gaston.

Rain X dose help and is better than nothing and works ok with salt water but its 100% useless compared to good wipers

Tend to disagree to the 100% charge.:flowers: Rain X applied in a preemptive application prior to departing in threatening weather will find the need for wiper use reduced. Of course conditions may have a factor in specific areas of operation. I speak only to the Southern South East Alaska region where I operate. In the past years of rainy weather or with a small craft as ours is, salt spray, the Rain X has been sufficient that wipers were not utilized.
This rebuttal is not meant as a argumentative statement, only that expressing such a statistic is a bit over exuberant for actual history to ignore.

I would encourage the OP to begin a habit of applying Rain X prior to departure of a port with pending weather anticipated.

Al-Ketcnikan (150 inches of rain per year avg.)

RT,

My understanding is no it can't. A couple of years ago I had to remove some bad water spots on windows. I was in Anacortes at the time and someone was detailing a boat across from us. I asked him how he would remove the water spots. His response was use 3M rubbing compound and when they were gone, use carnuba wax on the glass. I have done that ever since including expanding use to our car and truck. It lasts much longer than RainX and does a better job.

Tom

Greetings,
Mr. tp. Thanks. Our 3 main front window are glass but the curved side windows are perspex/lexan (don't know which). Was just checking...

To use wipers on glass in heavy weather it is usual to add a fresh water spray to keep the salt from scratching the glass.

Never use wipers on any grade of plastic.

RT. Why bother? Just raid your bilge for another bottle of wine when the rain starts and soon (a few bottles) it will go away (or you won't care). ��

RT,

My understanding is no it can't. A couple of years ago I had to remove some bad water spots on windows. I was in Anacortes at the time and someone was detailing a boat across from us. I asked him how he would remove the water spots. His response was use 3M rubbing compound and when they were gone, use carnuba wax on the glass. I have done that ever since including expanding use to our car and truck. It lasts much longer than RainX and does a better job.

Tom
Which rubbing compound?

I did not have good results with Rain X. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or perhaps my windows weren't completely clean, but the Rain X seemed to cloud the windows and I had a very difficult time removing it.

In the "old days" there was a glass cleaner called "Glass Wax". You would wipe it on, let it dry and buff it off. Much like you do with rubbing compound or polish. It worked well.

I have found a similar product, "No Streek® Glass Polish" at Ace Hardware. It works like Glass Wax and is pretty effective. It seems like it is a very mild abrasive and good on water spots. It's the only thing that would get the Rain X mess off my windows.

If you're going to use rubbing compound, I would try the finest grit you can get.

Mr RT. My bad, I thought it was your boat. Sorry it wasn't.

The pro who waxes my boat tell me he does the same thing on the glass. It appears to work very good.

Greetings,
If using a rubbing compound to "polish" glass or any abrasive, make 100% sure it is recommended for glass. Once scratched, it could be a major job to refinish and ultimately it may have to be replaced. Try a sample on a piece of scrap or in a corner first. I would also recommend hand application+this:

elbowgrease.jpg

I would suggest starting with the lightest abrasive first, a polish with a polishing compound would be the least risky.

An old Car Guy trick for getting water stains off glass is to use a regular old Clay bar. Available at any auto supply store, or on-line of course..

I did not have good results with Rain X. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or perhaps my windows weren't completely clean, but the Rain X seemed to cloud the windows and I had a very difficult time removing it.
Applying it properly is absolutely crucial. A good bit of elbow grease reqd. You need to start with clean windows, follow directions exactly, and polish it in thoroughly.

I apply it (or Start-Brite's "Rain View" equivalent) prior to every summer cruise, and through two-three months in SE Alaska it's very effective. On our 26-footer's reverse-raked windshield, and vertical side windows, rain falls or runs off very easily. When we need to use wipers, which is less often than it would be without Rain-X, they work better and quicker. Even in rainy SE AK, we almost never need to run wipers continuously - one flick of the switch and the windshield is clear for a while.

P.S. to OP: Make sure your wiper blades are not old/worn/stiff. Replace regularly.

Last edited:
I don't remember the exact 3M rubbing compound I used (it's on the boat), but it wasn't real aggressive. It took several sessions before the water spots were gone. There was no evidence of any scratching of the glass.

Tom

Thanks, tp. As for removing water spots, I used toothpaste. Worked fine. The spots were bad. I don't think there is no "golden bullet" for elbow grease. The waxing, is something I never thought of -- go figure.:banghead:

RainX makes an abrasive glass cleaner as well. One bottle has lasted me a long time. One of the first things I use when I buy a used car.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom