Maintaining and cleaning interior teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
Just researching how to maintain/restore and clean interior teak woodwork. Im unsure what the present finish is on this 12 year old IG

Thanks in advance

makethumbnail.php

Congratulations(subject to survey)!
The finish is likely to be a varnish of some kind. A good wax polish, like "Black Bison" made by Liberon,which I use on antique furniture, would be good. Not sure, but I think if it is a varnish, the polish just goes on top and doesn`t actually communicate with the wood.
Wonder what Andrew`s detailers used? Aerosol furniture polish with silicone in it?

Greetings,
Mr. g. I've tried all sorts of things to clean/polish/maintain my teak as well. I'm not aboard right now but to the best of my very poor memory I've been most satisfied with a citrus product called...and here's where it's going to be tough...Orange Glo? Simple Orange? I got the idea from right here on TF so maybe another member has used and can recommend or pan it. Orange Mop? Magic Orange? Aw heck....

giphy.gif

Looks too clean to clean.

As little water as possible. Spray cleaners to go after the cooking grease and cigarette smoke that has condensed on the wood. Lacquer thinner if the grease is obstinate, (try gingerly; you would not wish to remove a lacquer finish!).

As little water as possible...

Howards in Tamworth NSW (? not far from Come-By- Chance), if still there, phone 1800672646, sell "Feed N Wax" Wood Preserver of Beeswax and Orange Oil. I`m not sure they make it,it looks rebranded,use instructions are in English and Spanish. They also sell "Restor A Finish" which works on tired dirty French Polish etc, can save stripping and starting again. They likely stock Liberon polishes too.

My cleaning lady turned me on to this stuff. Cleans and preserves wood without leaving an oily film behind.

OAK-Y-DOKEY_2048x2048.jpeg

Use to be called OAK-Y-DOKEY.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom