New to the forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan W Waters

Greetings to all. Recently retired welder, machinist, fabricator. Building a 40x80 workshop/apartment combo.[no more split level stairs for us] Plan to build an all aluminum cat type vessel. 14x 40. I would like to live aboard but will probably just be part time as my wife is not to keen on the full time.

This vessel will have an extremely shallow draft dedicated to ICW and shallow waters of Ten Thousands Islands and perhaps some of the upper Keys. Due to bad knees and ankles [no more stairs] this boat will have a single level living area with a smaller upper level deck for the younger folks who want to go up. Most of the roof will be dedicated to approximately 2,000 watts of solar panels.

Don't know about power yet. I'd like to bring this boat in under 10,000 pounds. So, I'm thinking a pair of Yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboards. I have no experience with big boats so I am open to suggestions if this is not enough power to control the boat in windy conditions.

Regards to all, Alan Waters

Welcome aboard TF
I have no first hand experience w/ cats but know a friends that had a 32'x16' PDQ that had a pair of 9.9's for power. The only problem he had was trouble getting fuel from the onboard tank through filters to the o'bds. I think the factory finally fixed the problem but it took awhile and he dealt w/ frequent stalling until they did.

You might take a look at several cat builders to see what they use for power.

14 x 40'. 10,000 pounds and 2 x Yamaha 9.9 I know a cat about the same and twin 50hp were needed. Just saying

Using outboards, usually it is not the lack of hp that is the problem...it is gearing and prop size.

A pair of 9.9s with paddle props on a sailing cat may work...but probably only a fair weather, flat water power cruiser.

Work with a Yamaha dealer and see what currently is available in long dhaft, low gear 9.9s and see what kind of thrust numbers you can come up with.

Plus in the hull design...you have to keep the props in the water and cats are known to pitch a lot.

How fast do you want to go? How hard do you want to push these little outboards?

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like an interesting project. Whose plans are you using?

Ted

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like an interesting project. Whose plans are you using?

Ted

I don't have a real set of plans. I've been drawing and thinking about this for years and have finally settled on one that will meet my needs. Needs being a living space and small area for a welder and tools for repairs on mine or others boats.

Welcome to TF and retirement! Congrats you made it to the other enlighten side....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom