Southeast Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, Twisted has been around the block a few times. Followed his blog a bit, lots of good info.

I am jealous he is heading farther north.....home.....

I want to see how things go once he is outside. Stopping in Yakutat? 360 miles from Elfin Cove to PWS! :eek:

Well daaaa. I am getting too old. I am so excited for you and look forward to following your trip.

Is this your first time? How long are you staying?

We have been in SE the last two summers, and will be in PWS this summer. Our plan starts and ends with "go to PWS", so I don't yet know what the story will look like. Just that we will be departing Vancouver mid to late April, and have heard that June is usually the best month in PWS, so that's what we are aiming for. Then late July or early August we will run down to So Cal to position the boat for this falls CUBAR.

Good luck my friend. Do you have the PWS cruising guide?

Twisted, I'll be looking for you passing through this summer. I should have my NEMO installed and want to see what creative things you have done with yours. I can also pass along some local boats to look for when you are there.

Tom

Definitely give a shout if you see us on AIS or otherwise.

Nemo should be pretty close. I broke it pretty badly when I was out in January, but I think they had it figured out shortly after. I seem to have a special skill for breaking things. Fortunately some people find it helpful, and I'm getting more requests to test products.

Good luck my friend. Do you have the PWS cruising guide?

The one by Jim and Nancy Lithcoe? I see it on Amazon. Not yet, is the simple answer.

We have a couple of friends who cruise there regularly who have given us a pile of tips, plus I have the CE track from another friends visit a couple of years ago. And know a couple of other people who have stopped in various places. So a long list of candidate destinations, but no firm plans.

I figure it's a 2 day run to get back inside, and there is a bailout point if needed around half way. But getting a two day window shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully those won't be famous last words :)

All that said, I welcome any suggested destinations.

The one by Jim and Nancy Lithcoe? I see it on Amazon. Not yet, is the simple answer.

We have a couple of friends who cruise there regularly who have given us a pile of tips, plus I have the CE track from another friends visit a couple of years ago. And know a couple of other people who have stopped in various places. So a long list of candidate destinations, but no firm plans.

I figure it's a 2 day run to get back inside, and there is a bailout point if needed around half way. But getting a two day window shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully those won't be famous last words :)

All that said, I welcome any suggested destinations.

Yes it is a must have for PWS. Spend the money and get it, you will not be disappointed.

Check out this link for more info:

Alaska Outdoors Forums

There are not that many pull out places above Yakutat. None that I know of north of Kayak Island. Two days (night and day) sound about right. I know Kevin Sanders(?) has done this route a few times.

I am so jealous but I am still a few years before I can go.

Attachments

• 61nBzcjJpAL__SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    61nBzcjJpAL__SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 152
Yes it is a must have for PWS. Spend the money and get it, you will not be disappointed.

Check out this link for more info:

Alaska Outdoors Forums

There are not that many pull out places above Yakutat. None that I know of north of Kayak Island. Two days (night and day) sound about right. I know Kevin Sanders(?) has done this route a few times.

I am so jealous but I am still a few years before I can go.

Just ordered it from a place in Big Lake, AK

I've been following this discussion for a few days; brings back great memories of cruising SE AK. If you're in the area, the Little Norway Festival in Petersburg is a wonderful event. We stumbled into it quite by accident in 1995, when we stopped for fuel. Ended up staying there for five days. It's in the middle of May.

Here is what I have so far:
Boat. Owner
Interim. Ron & Jo
Hat Trick. Ken
Silver Bay. Tom
Rob n' Lee
Dream Catcher. Richard
Safe Harbor
Slo~Belle. Al
Pairadice. John & Tracy
Alaskan Sea-diction
Tanglewood. Peter
All weather
Oz
Coast Eagle

We are leaving Seattle mid May for SE Alaska.
Dale and Cathleen
MV Fiddler

Here is what I have so far:
Boat. Owner
Interim. Ron & Jo
Hat Trick. Ken
Silver Bay. Tom
Rob n' Lee
Dream Catcher. Richard
Safe Harbor
Slo~Belle. Al
Pairadice. John & Tracy
Alaskan Sea-diction
Tanglewood. Peter
All weather
Oz
Coast Eagle

Thanks Ron- lost your card and the list you provide holds several boats that I have had passed, or visited. Look forward to renewing acquaintances.
Al-Ketchikan

I want to go please please I want to go

Add Sunchaser V, Tom and Jan. We do have AIS. We've no schedule yet except departing Sidney mid May. Once we clear Ketchikan the schedule and locales will start to firm up.

The list is growing, Awesome!

We should be crossing into Canadian Waters on or about May 1st, we are attending the Selene Rendevious end of April in Roche Harbor.
Plan as of now, is travel up the east side of Vancouver Island makin a few stops along the way, to Port McNeil before rounding Cape Caution. Shearwater, Bottleneck, Khutze (crabbing), Hartley Bay, Grenville Channel to Prince Rupert. If all goes well, 3rd or 4th week of May we cross into Alaska and check in to Ketchikan. From there no real plan.
We look forward to hooking up with many of you along the way. Maybe by then we will have come up with a plan and date for a TF Gatering.
Cheers!

We (Beth & Ken) plan to leave Anacortes end of April, early May heading north. Itinerary to be determined.

AIS shows boat name "Altternative"--just haven't had it removed and name changed yet

John

We have in the past bypassed Hartley Bay. Do you anchor or tie up at the docks?

John

We tie up to the dock, free docking and power too! It can get a bit crowded sometimes, but shouldn't be a problem in May. Very friendly people.

The list is growing, Awesome!

We should be crossing into Canadian Waters on or about May 1st, we are attending the Selene Rendevious end of April in Roche Harbor.
Plan as of now, is travel up the east side of Vancouver Island makin a few stops along the way, to Port McNeil before rounding Cape Caution. Shearwater, Bottleneck, Khutze (crabbing), Hartley Bay, Grenville Channel to Prince Rupert. If all goes well, 3rd or 4th week of May we cross into Alaska and check in to Ketchikan. From there no real plan.
We look forward to hooking up with many of you along the way. Maybe by then we will have come up with a plan and date for a TF Gatering.
Cheers!

John, you mentioned Khutze inlet. It is also one of our usual stops up and down. When we passed through there in the 1st week of September, we were attacked by deer flies like I've never seen before. They were obviously coming off mud flats and saw us as their next meal. We were in between the creek and waterfall. Did you have mega flies on your way down? They literally drove us out of there.

John

I'm also curious about this area, being at the base Grenville Channel. Just to the SW of Hartley Bay and on the north side of Promise island is the Coghlan anchorage. I've seen boats in there before but never used it. It looks like the NE part of it has reasonable protection from southerly wind, but there's also a lot of up and down wind from Douglas channel that might get in there. Has anyone anchored in Coghlan in a blow? Murray M might have some local knowledge, living in Kitimat.

I have been told that Hartley Bay docks can only accommodate boats with LOA of 45' or less. Does anyone know whether that is true?

I have been told that Hartley Bay docks can only accommodate boats with LOA of 45' or less. Does anyone know whether that is true?

We are 52 overall and we docked there twice with no issues. The GitGat tribe basically runs the place and they are very accommodating. You should be prepared to allow side tie, and if your traveling with another boat, you should consider side tying together. Less chance of damage that way. We parked on the first dock to the right of the fuel dock as you enter the bay. Best to dock on the Outside of that dock if your 40+, seems like that dock is over 100 ft.

First time we stayed there for 3 days, second time was about a week later after visiting Murray in Kitimak, again 3 days with no issues. This was in mid June and the King (or spring as the locals refer) were running. Caught 3 nice keepers by hiring a local by the name of George. Best couple hundred bucks I ever spent. Found were to fish, depth,lures and so on. Shared a few pieces of tackle with the locals and were treated very well. No store but they do have a fuel dock. The guy who runs the fuel dock is a real character and will try to get you all riled up, but he's just makin fun. If your quick enuff with a come back, he will get a kick out of it.

Hope that helps, Cheers

I adore SE Alaska. It's like sailing among mountains. Do it the easy way on cruise ships most every couple of years or so. Don't hardly get off the ship anymore. :)

Last edited:
John, you mentioned Khutze inlet. It is also one of our usual stops up and down. When we passed through there in the 1st week of September, we were attacked by deer flies like I've never seen before. They were obviously coming off mud flats and saw us as their next meal. We were in between the creek and waterfall. Did you have mega flies on your way down? They literally drove us out of there.

Ken,

On the way up in Early June and back in near the end of June. No issues with deer flies at all. We too anchored between the falls ( probably one of the most awesome falls in an anchorage) and the main stream to the east. The crabbing was fantastic with 9-10" across the top and dam near limited in each set. Stocked the freezer with plenty of crab.

This anchorage is a bit challenging as the main channel is pretty deep. Except when you first enter the inlet, somewhat of a bar to cross. You want to stay to the North when entering. When you get to the large opening and see the falls, tread slowing and pay attention to your depth,it will get shallow in a hurry. The mud flats are very deceiving at high tide. Plenty of wildlife to view there. Obviously one of our favorite spots to anchor or hide from weather.

Bottleneck is south of that at about 40 miles and is a great spot also. On the way up we shared this inlet with another Selene and 4 Nordies that were heading north, they also parked at Khutze with us. We all had a great time.

Guess as the weather warms up later on, the bugs get heavy. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I adore SE Alaska. It's like sailing among mountains. Do it the easy way on cruise ships most every couple of years or so. Don't hardly get off the ship anymore. :)

Mark,

You have the boat to head North in. Your a 2 day trip to Astoria which is where we enter the ocean for the trip North. 2 days to the San Juans and rest for awhile. Then head North on the inside passage. Very few sailboats actually sail up in those waters, but occasionally you might see one if the wind is right.

Cheers!

John, thanks for the response and info. We really like Bottleneck too.

Mark,

You have the boat to head North in. Your a 2 day trip to Astoria which is where we enter the ocean for the trip North. 2 days to the San Juans and rest for awhile. Then head North on the inside passage. Very few sailboats actually sail up in those waters, but occasionally you might see one if the wind is right.

Cheers!

But I'm not a fan of long off-shore cruises in a small boat. :eek:

I'll have the surf-n-turf, please.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom